I'm Looking for an Exchange Administrator

I'm looking for a Microsoft Exchange Administrator for a full time position in Oak Ridge. If anyone knows of someone who is highly skilled in designing, and maintaining a highly available Exchange environment for about 5000 users, have them PM me for more information. I'm looking to fill the position immediately.

I knew I should have pursued Exchange training instead of all the virtualization stuff  :)  Good luck finding someone, I have a couple of contacts I will reach out to for you.

No way. Virtualization is a very marketable skill these days. Especially if you know several flavors. To be honest, being a full-time Exchange admin would be a pretty boring job, even if it paid well. 

No way. Virtualization is a very marketable skill these days. Especially if you know several flavors. To be honest, being a full-time Exchange admin would be a pretty boring job, even if it paid well. 

Unless you're working in development, almost all tech jobs are boring if you're highly skilled.  Go to work, press some buttons, answer some calls, press more buttons, plug something up, go home rinse & repeat.

• Like 3
I have a couple of years experience with Exchange (still help manage a small internal server) but virtualization certainly has been the correct path. I just got my Citrix cert last week and have my VMware exam later this year.

Everyone is on the virtualization and mobility wagons these days.

I honestly think a strong background in all things Citrix (Terminal Servers, Application Virtualization, Provisioning Server, Netscalers, etc.) would be a very marketable skillset. Virtualization is too, but I think most employers expect that these days, and VMware experience is very common. I think Microsoft's Hyper-V is going to be the next big thing. It has narrowed the gap between it and VMware, and it you are going to be virtualizing Windows, the license model is practically free for the VM's.

The position I'm offering is primarily Exchange, but it also encompasses VMware, and any of the following you would want to be involved with: IronPorts, SANs, Blade Server technology, Lync and System Center Products, 

I am studying up on Netscalers now - we have 4 installed in our data center and I will be installing some in Q3 in our new DR site.

And I agree on system center - damn good management tool.

Anyways, enough thread hijacking :)  good luck with your search, my couple of contacts don't know anyone at this time.

Didn't know there was so many tech guys here. I run a very small shop for a very small bank and I have a consulting firm that does all of the technical stuff. I have learned a lot in the last 6 months about networks and haven't even scratched the surface. I now have a deep respect for the network guys out there that do this everyday at a very high level. I just had a previous coworker go to a high level security firm recently and some of the stuff he told me was crazy.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

• Administrator

I think anyone who generalizes how marketable a certain tech focus is hasn't interviewed many candidates lately and seen how many people throw technologies that they've had minimal exposure to on their resumes.  A true subject matter expert on something like VMware or Citrix is hard to find and they command big money.  I can offer myself as a case in point and I don't work for peanuts, and we've had a hell of a time finding good engineers with strong skill sets in their self-professed subject matter.  Some of the interviews that I've helped conduct lately nearly made me lose the desire to live.

Good luck on the Exchange hunt.  My company pays our Exchange guys so well that just about no one in the southeast can afford to hire them away.

• Like 1

I think anyone who generalizes how marketable a certain tech focus is hasn't interviewed many candidates lately and seen how many people throw technologies that they've had minimal exposure to on their resumes.  A true subject matter expert on something like VMware or Citrix is hard to find and they command big money.  I can offer myself as a case in point and I don't work for peanuts, and we've had a hell of a time finding good engineers with strong skill sets in their self-professed subject matter.  Some of the interviews that I've helped conduct lately nearly made me lose the desire to live.

Good luck on the Exchange hunt.  My company pays our Exchange guys so well that just about no one in the southeast can afford to hire them away.

+1000 It's amazing what people have the gall to list on their resume. We had a candidate at my former employer who listed himself as a BackupExec administrator. When I asked him about it, he rotated tapes out of a robotic library. he might as well have list "Iron Mountain Architect" as well.

• Administrator

+1000 It's amazing what people have the gall to list on their resume. We had a candidate at my former employer who listed himself as a BackupExec administrator. When I asked him about it, he rotated tapes out of a robotic library. he might as well have list "Iron Mountain Architect" as well.

So my company pays very well.  We're likely one of if not the highest paying company in the area for technical positions, but we demand a lot from our engineers.  Just getting an interview with us is extremely difficult and more often than not we hire candidates that our existing employees already have experience working with outside.  We want people who can not only hit the ground running but also excel in their area of expertise.  If we have to train you up on what you're supposed to be an expert in, we not only failed at hiring but we failed at interviewing.

We interviewed for nearly six months straight last year to staff three positions.  One guy's resume read like a dream engineer and it ended up that was pretty accurate.  It was all a dream.  Much as you had related, if he touched a technology at any point in his career he listed himself as being proficient in it.  In some instances he had a fairly good understanding, but there were so many that the interview process bore out as being "user-level" that we just ended up stopping the interview at a short yet polite point in the process and thanked him for his time.

The problem for that guy is he's now someone we'll never talk to again.  He misrepresented himself and that's a huge no-no.  I'd much rather a person be up-front and honest and list a few things they are legitimately rock stars with.   If you've only had limited exposure to something, say so.  At least you're being honest and it helps to indicate things you've seen before because that makes it easier to train you in those areas if we see an opportunity.  Don't waste our time by including a lot of lucrative buzzwords only to leave us to find out that the only thing you're really good at engineering is your resume.

I guess that's the moral of this story.  If you're job hunting, don't pad your resume.  Even if they don't catch you on the front-end, most employers will eventually ferret you out when you get put on the spot to deliver something your resume said you could do.  And that becomes incredibly uncomfortable for everyone involved.

Well David, I think one of the contributing factors to people padding those resumes is that many times management & hr handle all of the interviews and don't involve the people with a technical background. The applicants can usually baffle them with a few tech terms and get through.

We've got an issue with that now, but they're finally getting more restrictive and requiring at least a masters degree in a related feild, or you just come in on the bottom if you can even get on.

I'd much rather a person be up-front and honest and list a few things they are legitimately rock stars with.   If you've only had limited exposure to something, say so.  At least you're being honest and it helps to indicate things you've seen before because that makes it easier to train you in those areas if we see an opportunity.  Don't waste our time by including a lot of lucrative buzzwords only to leave us to find out that the only thing you're really good at engineering is your resume

Exactly. I always remain honest in an interview because I take pride in my work and frankly don't like looking like an idiot. I can't fathom lying about your skillset and then when the heat is on, you're unable to perform. I wouldn't want that smudge on my name, especially in an age where business and social networking is so profound.

Well David, I think one of the contributing factors to people padding those resumes is that many times management & hr handle all of the interviews and don't involve the people with a technical background. The applicants can usually baffle them with a few tech terms and get through.

We've got an issue with that now, but they're finally getting more restrictive and requiring at least a masters degree in a related feild, or you just come in on the bottom if you can even get on.

Yeah, HR especially tends to pass along the cert heavy resumes. I could care less about certifications. Almost always it winds up that the person just used brain dumps or took some crash course just to get MCSE or MCITP, etc. if I see that you went to college for something IT related and have A+ N+ S+, MCSE, MCSA and you work at Starbucks... well, you'll make a good entry level.

Guest Lester Weevils

You guys make it sound rough working for da man. I've been blessed to be able to muddle thru my whole life knowing nearly nothing and with absolutely zero qualifications for anything. :) A shame if you actually have to know how to do something nowadays to get a job.

Yeah, HR especially tends to pass along the cert heavy resumes. I could care less about certifications. Almost always it winds up that the person just used brain dumps or took some crash course just to get MCSE or MCITP, etc. if I see that you went to college for something IT related and have A+ N+ S+, MCSE, MCSA and you work at Starbucks... well, you'll make a good entry level.

I wish I could get a entry level tech job but they want you to have x amount of xp and a bunch of certs just to sit at a desk and answer phones, only xp I have is refresh projects

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Ever try Dell over by the Nashville airport? Unless they've tightened up, at the start of my IT career I worked there and they had a guy shadow me on a call as part of the interview process. He had a look of sheer terror on his face. I asked him if he'd ever done PC support. The guy just shakes his head and says "i don't even own a comupter". A week later i'm walking through the building and there he sits taking a call...

Edit.... doh... quoted the wrong guy entirely :D

Edited by NoBanStan