IDPA Question about reloaders

I've enjoyed watching all the videos being posted on the various matches and a question popped into my head....what about brass?  If you're a reloader, are you allowed to pick up your brass after shooting a round or do you lose it?  I'm sure the matches move pretty quick and this would take up time, so what's the answer?

at my club, there is some time to pick up brass, but you might not get it all.

there is still some obligation to help paste targets and reset the stage for the next shooter.

It is pretty annoying when everyone in the squad does not do their part to help out.  just takes longer to reset and get ready for the next one.

Most local clubs in TN allow picking up brass after the local match is over not during the match.  The reason for this is that the people running the match do not have the time to work shooters through, reset stages for the next shooter, and pick up brass.  Normally, when all of the stuff is put away is the best time to get brass because you can see where it all is.

Most local clubs in TN allow picking up brass after the local match is over not during the match.  The reason for this is that the people running the match do not have the time to work shooters through, reset stages for the next shooter, and pick up brass.  Normally, when all of the stuff is put away is the best time to get brass because you can see where it all is.

That's the way it is at our club matches.  Everyone shoots, then the brass picking begins.  Every man/woman for themselves, of course :)  

From my limited experience at matches, only a few good people in each squad helped reset and paste targets. These were usually the same folks that arrived an hour early to help set up AND stayed an hour late to help take down.

A few selfish people did nothing but pick up brass, even if it wasn't theirs.

Most of the rest stood around talking and a few had the unmitigated gall to plant their lazy asses in chairs until it was their turn to shoot.

Edited by BigK
  • Like 1

Pickup Brass AFTER the Entire Match is Over.

The only FTDR that I have ever given in over 12 years as a SO was to one sorry SOB who (even after two warnings) would not stop picking up other folks brass - - - even while the stage was still being shot!  :ugh:

• Like 1

Dave

When I first started in 03 in Michigan that was common. A couple guys on the squad would shag brass between shooters and hand it to you, if you didn't want it they would keep it. Worked out pretty well.

...... A couple guys on the squad would shag brass between shooters and hand it to you, if you didn't want it they would keep it. Worked out pretty well.

But its an unsafe practice.

I've seen brass-pickers so intent on getting that last piece that they zone-out and fail to hear the SO's commands.

In the FTDR that I posted about the picker was following the score keeper, getting the brass as soon as it hit the ground - - -  All While The Shooter Was STILL FIRING the stage!!!!!!!!

Its also seems funny to me that brass-pickers would rather bend over to get brass...., but won't help to reset and tape targets.  They are no help to the squad.

Guest Grout

I always hated brass chickens at outdoor matches..Don't know how many of you have ever shot an indoor match,I shot at Guncraft in Knoxville for years and was the MD at Carters in Chattanooga for a couple years as well,point being you have to pick up brass between shooters indoors else you run the risk of the next shooter's feet flying out from under them when they move to the next position.

I now pick up brass at the end of the match, to at least get a percentage of what I fired. But the sad thing is I didn't give a rat's butt before about picking up squat until brass availability and price went to hell in a handbasket. If it wasn't for reloading, I wouldn't be able to shoot. When is the last time you saw any 9mm or 45 sitting on the shelf anywhere? And the days of buying bulk brass from Midway or the likes are over for now.

Maybe next year the ammo companies will get caught up, til then, let those 'brass chickens' be...as long as they pitch in during the match :pleased:

Back when dinosaurs roamed the earth and I shot my first match the squad was expected to pick up brass for each shooter as part of the reset and hand it to said shooter along with his or her magazines.

I remember those days, maybe because I was in better shape and could help shag the brass for others.

Back when dinosaurs roamed the earth and I shot my first match the squad was expected to pick up brass for each shooter as part of the reset and hand it to said shooter along with his or her magazines.

That was how it was done at the club where i shot. we always had enough people to tape targets.

http://bspsc.org/index.php/match-dates/11-other-articles/55-how-to-get-started