Had a very disturbing conversation last night

• Moderators

Geography is everything. I have yet to meet an LEO in the south that had opinions anywhere near this. I have a heavily LEO family, and it dates back to the beginning of the last century. They have all been patriots. The problem is California cops come from the pool of commie citizens of California. I can't imagine this type of personality being very successful in Anytown, Tennessee.

At first I liked this post, and was all in agreement with what you said. Then I remembered a conversation I had with an Officer Gooch of the MPD after he accosted and lectured a gentleman who left my place of employment open carrying one late night. He had essentially the same mindset as the officer DS conversed with. I know he is not alone with that mindset in the MPD. There are also just as many officers with their heads on straight, actually more by my experience, but there are still a sizable amount that are the enemy.

A few days ago I was in a voice chat online when the conversation turned to Barrett 50's. At that point I mentioned the fact Ronnie Barrett refused to service any of his weapons on California since they banned them. And this one guy said "F**K Barrett, we need those weapons for when we have the Oscars and other events like that". I honestly thought the guy was being sarcastic because of his tone of voice.

And this is what has upset me for the last 24 hours now.

Then last night the conversation came up about bullet buttons and high capacity magazines being illegal in California. This guy is from California and bragged about having high capacity magazines and AR's without bullet buttons. He went down a laundry list of weapons and when asked why he can have them he said he was a police officer.

I asked why he is allowed to have high capacity magazines as well as AR's and we are not. His response, word for word, was "I have the right to protect myself and you don't". He went on to say that no "civilian" should be allowed to own a high capacity magazine, semi automatic rifle or any firearm at all. He said assault weapons  are a weapon of war and belong on the battlefield, not on the streets even though he carries one every day. He said the only thing a "civilian" should be given permission to own is a flintlock and if a person wanted to they could put a picatinny rail on it. He went on to say "I can use whatever means necessary to protect myself from you civilians", his words not mine, "and no civilian should have the right to protect themselves". He said that is what his job was. He was asked about his response times and he said his units average response time was 7 minutes. He was then  asked what happens when he isn't there to protect us. He said that doesn't matter and that we should not protect ourselves while we wait. 

He said he has worked for LAPD for 18 years and is a liberal through and through that has guns. He threw out all the popular Feinstein and Pelosi catch phrases.

I can't imagine how many "civilians" he has treated badly or used excessive force because he has a "right" to do so or that because he believes we are less of a human being than him. He probably is right, he probably does need to worry about protecting himself if he believes he has a right to protect himself from "civilians" that have no right to protect themselves.

I am not upset at the fact he doesn't think we should own high capacity magazines or "assault weapons". It is the fact that he believes he has the right to protect himself and I do not. Or that there is two standards, his and everyone else's.

Dolomite, that whole "do as I say, not as I do" thing is typical of every liberal I have ever talked to. At least the really far left ones. They alone know what is best for you and their one size fits all solutions are the key to everything from ending world hunger to curing all disease. Don't let 'em get under your skin. 

• Like 1
  • Moderators

Some of the worst, anti-2A cops I've talked to were from Memphis PD...made me feel like I was back in NY.
Hopefully, they're not the norm there.

While in my experience they are not the norm, they are a sizable enough of a group that one must be cautious when dealing with MPD unless the officer is familiar and a known quantity. I have several friends on the MPD, I like and trust them. It is their coworkers I don't trust. Harsh, but prudent in my opinion.
  • Like 1

This is the type of conversation that I believe ought to be reduced to writing and shared with the Chief of Police and the Mayor of the jurisdiction in question, as well as the U.S. Congressman for your location. Stick to the facts. It certainly cannot help the officer in his career.

Whether or not that's a complete waste of time depends on the jurisdiction. Whether or not it would trigger retribution is also a question. However, a written document is radioactive and has a half-life of 50,000 years. A document cannot be ignored.

At first I liked this post, and was all in agreement with what you said. Then I remembered a conversation I had with an Officer Gooch of the MPD after he accosted and lectured a gentleman who left my place of employment open carrying one late night. He had essentially the same mindset as the officer DS conversed with. I know he is not alone with that mindset in the MPD. There are also just as many officers with their heads on straight, actually more by my experience, but there are still a sizable amount that are the enemy.

Liberal strongholds such as Memphis aren't meant to be counted. Geography is a combination of ones proximity to the coasts, north east and large cities. Those are the places liberals seem to congregate and poop on the 2A.
  • Like 1

Liberal strongholds such as Memphis aren't meant to be counted. Geography is a combination of ones proximity to the coasts, north east and large cities. Those are the places liberals seem to congregate and poop on the 2A.

Yeah, sad.

I'm from Wisconsin (considered a 'Blue State" most often).

Except for Milwaukee and Madison (the Berkley of the Mid States), the people are very Red State in my experience.

I have listened to him for about a week now on a game server I have started playing on. He doesn't spew this nonsense unless it comes up.

He is NOT a troll and he IS in LE. He has all the mannerisms and nuances most anyone who has been in LE has.

This is the same kind of attitude that contributed to me leaving LE for good. This is not to bash LE because 90% of them are great people who actually care and want to do what is right. The other 10% give the 90% a bad name with their antics.

Don't get your buttons pushed, work out how to push his. It sounds like he has a whole lot of them available. If you get it right, you should get the blood vessels standing out on his head.

• Like 1