Honest opinions on Sig mosquito's please.................

Guest BCR#1

Sig Mosquitos have a well-earned reputation as junk guns. My buddy HAD to have one, even though I warned him of all the negative reviews I had heard and read. SAid Buddy (Hi Mike!) learned the hard way that he had bought a very finicky, ugly jam-O-matic. Sold it for a loss after 6 months of frustration.

• Like 1

I had one once. (Only Sig I ever owned or could afford). I got it used. It jammed all the time unless you used CCI MiniMags.

Cheap(er) bulk ammo was a joke. I did manage to get old Federal shells to function %75 of the time.

I REALLY liked the pistol and it was VERY accurate. I just wish it would have feed the cheap bulk ammo.

Other wise, I would have NEVER sold it. 

If you're looking for a combat style full size(ish) pistol.

I'd pass and look at an M&P 22. I rented one and put 350 rounds through it with ZERO issues.

I was amazed how well it shot. The only bad thing I found about it was it only comes with ONE mag.

And mags are hard to find and expensive if and when you find them. 

Would the Walther P-22 be a more reliable choice? I put my hands on one at a Gun Show and can't quite shake the urge to buy.

I might add, I'm a Sig fan. The ones I have work great. But I guess every manufacturer can have a dud.

Edited by HvBikeWlTravel

I tried a friends Sig and it was a jam-o-matic. The Walther P22Q and Ruger I had ran great on anything I tried in 'em. Both were great little guns. Of course, like an idiot, I sold them. I picked up an M&P 22 and it's had zero problems. Trigger on the thing is great too. I usually break them in with mini mags and then use Blazer or Federal.

The Walther P22 I have was finicky the first few hundred rounds, but did feed CCI Mini-Mag.  Now, it eats about anything, but prefers to be well lubricated.  I have run at least 3-4K rounds through it, mostly Federal 550 bulk pack.

Would the Walther P-22 be a more reliable choice? I put my hands on one at a Gun Show and can't quite shake the urge to buy.

I might add, I'm a Sig fan. The ones I have work great. But I guess every manufacturer can have a dud.

The P22 can be rather finicky about ammo too.

The Mark III will shoot anything.

If you want a Sig, get the 1911-22.  Much better than the mosquito and shoots all ammo.  I have had both and only still have the 1911-22.  There are a lot of nice plinking 22's out there, although the Sig 1911-22 is still one of my favorites.  I wouldn't have a P22 as I have seen the slide blow apart in use.  I hear good things about the Ruger SR22, and the Ruger Mark series are always a good choice.   I have a couple of those too.

Edited by Hozzie

I have had two, trying to like them.  Had both completely dis and reassembled and tried to fix/tune them according to RFC's noted expert :"Mississippi Dave."  They are in my mind a steaming pile of dog crap.  Buying a Jennings or Phoenix, especially a Phoneix, is money better spent.  The trigger system is pure junk and they have proportionally as much pot metal as a good working Hi Point.  If somone were to give me one I would refuse it, regardless the resale value.  I actually HATE everything about the Mosquito except the grip ergonomics.  Sig shoujld be ashamed of themselves for allowing their name to be used on that gun.

• Like 1

My Walther P-22 will eat absolutely anything and is super accurate to boot.

Of course, my Walther P-22 is in reality a Ruger SR22.

If you want accuracy, the ability to feed anything, a good build quality and have it all backed by a company who will back their product you should be looking at the Ruger IMO.
SIG engineers told me the life span of the Mosquito was 10K-15K. I have seen Walther P22's fall apart while being shot.

I recently picked up a Ruger SR22 and it is a great gun. It will shoot anything and everything while doing it accurately. It will be getting a threaded barrel soon.
  • Like 1

I really liked the Mosquito's specs on paper, and the grip feel/control reach was good (not to mention the threaded barrel). But the trigger *really* turned me off; it had lots of travel (even in single-action), and the effort was uneven over the length of the travel. Other than the Ruger 22/45 & mk series, and the Browning Buckmarks, most of the semi-auto .22 pistols seem to be finicky with anything but higher-power .22 rounds like the CCI Mini-mags (at least initially). Once the pistol is broken-in, things seem to run better. A really thorough cleaning to remove any trace of heavy grease & then lubing with a light oil also seem to help. I've gathered that most of the issues stem from the .22 round just not having quite enough power to cycle everything 100% reliably, so anything that rubs or binds just a little can cause jams. I'm not as sure on the Mosquito, but the P-22 has a lot of forum posts on specific areas of the slide & feed ramp to polish & otherwise spruce up to increase reliability.

Guest BCR#1

Thanks for all the replies, I won't be buying the mosquito after all. Two options I have left is buy a Sig 1911-22 from Buds gun shop for $375.00 or the Sig 220 .22 conversion kit  from Sig and install on my W. German made 220.

Pro's/con's to either of these? Are either ammo sensitive? I already have two Ruger MKII's, I just want a different platform when shooting .22lr

Thanks,

Bill

The SIG 1911 22 with the enhancement kit from CCW is a nice shooter.
I have one and the wife has one. Are they 100% reliable ? No. Are they fun to shoot? Yes. We have over 1500 rounds through them and I don't see any wear other then the finish. Will we get others in the future? Yes.
Just keep in mind that the Sig and the GSG are made by the same company. Sig just puts their name on it. We have shot every type of ammo some are better than others. I have not shot any mini mags because of the crazy prices.

Also the barrels are threaded on both the SIG and gsg. Edited by joe45

My cuz had one and like others have said it worked fine as long as he was using CCI Mini Mags. Nothing else worked! AFAIK that was the only issue he ever had with it. I don't know how hard Mini Mags are to find now so that may be a problem.

I know of 2 that work great.  Mine and a buddy of mine both have the mosquito.  I had a couple of jams within' the first 100 rounds, and only a handful of malfuctions (FTF,FTE) since.

Mine works with CCI mini mags, Federal Bulk and Rem. Golden.

My only big complaint is the hard trigger pull, even in single action.

Ruger told me they will NEVER sell a threaded barrel and will NEVER install a threaded barrel on a gun that did not have one originally. I was told the cost of the barrel was $28 but they would not sell one.

The only place I have found to have threaded barrels for the SR22 is Twin Tech Tactical but they are expensive at $150.
http://www.twintechtactical.com/SR22products.html

I will probably build my own as soon as I get my lathe.

They goofed ya. According to an email they sent me awhile ago they are now making these with a threaded barrel and I thought the barrels were available to purchase as well.

Maybe I'm making it up in my head, I'll go back and check my emails from Ruger and post up if/when I find anything.