First time being stopped by THP

Well, I had just gotten off work this morning and was headed home. Just crossed the interstate (exit 114) and i see a THP officer coming toward me, Thinking nothing of it, and i wasn't speeding or nothing, i still keep on, then see him turn a U-turn and turn his blues on right behoind me. I knew i had done nothing wrong, Pulled over, turned car off and rolled down the window all the way, had my DL and Permit ready. Handed those to him, being friendly and respectful( he was being respectful toward myself, I just did the same). Asked me where my weapon was, I told him and he told me i was doing everything like i was supposed to. Turns out he had pulled me over because i supposedly had a headlight out( just my fog light). Aftermarket headlights i had replaced a year earlier and no problems.

Other than that, I was a bit nervous. Haven't been pulled over for anything since i had the permit. But he let me off with a warning, thought my headlights were cool though.

Edited by Wyldk2
  • Like 1

Glad to hear that went well. I've heard the THP are generally are easier to deal with than local entities. 

Pet peeve: "Warnings" for headlights should be mandatory. Citations should only be issued after receiving a warning and not complying, but I suspect there are no records of warnings. I appreciate being told I have a light out but come on. 

Example: My wife received a ticket for having a light out after leaving work one night (2nd shift). She had no idea it was out and even if she had, nobody wants to change a headlamp on a 98 Honda Civic at midnight in Coolidge Park, trust me. Just my 2 cents.  

Did he have on his hat? I heard it's not official if he doesn't wear his hat. 

I only got pulled over once and it was for speeding. Not sure what he did about the other 6 cars in the park I was going with the flow with LOL.

• Like 2

I only got pulled over once and it was for speeding. Not sure what he did about the other 6 cars in the park I was going with the flow with LOL.

Years ago as UT worker I was coming back from Memphis after doing an AV presentation, in UT van. I was in hurry to get home as we were going down to the Keys the next morning. Had been following a guy flying low all the way, just barely keeping him in sight all the way, slowed down through Nashville, cranked it back up on other side, still hanging way back letting him run the interference.

Sure enough somewhere past Nashville , I see the blue lights ahead of me, thinking aha, It worked, got him not me. Figgured the LE had been sitting in median or behind overpass or something.  But as I drew night, I see THP trooper stepping out and giving me the high sign too. Dunno where/how we both got clocked,

So when he gets around to me, I appeal to him as "one underpaid state employee to another", and he said he'd have let me slide "if I hadn't been going 92!". Gave me a ticket for eight miles over or some such, which was a break, though.

So I popped a check in the mail next day on way out of town, went south with $75  less in the ole bank account. And yeah, he was wearing his hat. :)

- OS

Edited by Oh Shoot
  • Like 2

He was wearing his hat. Only i see him take it off before he got back into his vehicle.

It was around 1 am and Yes, i didn't feel like changing a headlight bulb, Fog light was out, but i rarely use those. Thing is, i had never been stopped by anyone for having my aftermarket headlights( had these a year). Projector bulb/halo rings. It was the foglight that was out. There is a loose wire somewhere, cause i jiggled it and it came on fine.

Guest 6.8 AR

I'd rather be stopped for that than speeding. Troopers are mostly professional and courteous, and you should

always be courteous to them. Never had a problem. I doubt a fog light was something to ticket you over, but it

sounds like he might have been trying to help you out, rather than harass, anyway.

Hey, they have a job to do. I doubt they want to have to go to court any more than anyone else.

Years ago as UT worker I was coming back from Memphis after doing an AV presentation, in UT van. I was in hurry to get home as we were going down to the Keys the next morning. Had been following a guy flying low all the way, just barely keeping him in sight all the way, slowed down through Nashville, cranked it back up on other side, still hanging way back letting him run the interference.

Sure enough somewhere past Nashville , I see the blue lights ahead of me, thinking aha, It worked, got him not me. Figgured the LE had been sitting in median or behind overpass or something.  But as I drew night, I see THP trooper stepping out and giving me the high sign too. Dunno where/how we both got clocked,

So when he gets around to me, I appeal to him as "one underpaid state employee to another", and he said he'd have let me slide "if I hadn't been going 92!". Gave me a ticket for eight miles over or some such, which was a break, though.

So I popped a check in the mail next day on way out of town, went south with $75  less in the ole bank account. And yeah, he was wearing his hat. :)

- OS

Mine was sitting in the break down lane all blacked out and no one saw him till we were right at him. We all moved over like a wave at a ball game. 

I wonder if someone else clocked  you all before you hit Nashville and radioed ahead with a description. Can't outrun that radio!

I doubt a fog light was something to ticket you over, but it
sounds like he might have been trying to help you out, rather than harass, you

I'm betting on 2am boredom creating a phishing expedition. The bulb out was reason enough to make the stop. Then it's time to play "what's inside car #1?"
  • Like 3

THP has almost always done right by me.  I never remembered them pulling me over when I didn't deserve it.  I did have one respond to a crash when I was 17 where I got hit by a guy that was falling down drunk and reeked of alcohol.  It was pretty obvious that the trooper knew the drunk guy personally.  The police report was full of anomalies and the other driver was never given any kind of alcohol testing.  My dad came down and said something to the cop about it and the cop told him that he had no reason to believe that the guy had been drinking.  Other than that THP has always been very professional in my opinion.  Although they are not known to hand out warning around here.  If you see them coming after you get ready, knock on wood it's been several years since I've had a ticket, but one trooper told me last year that tickets for simple speeding were $340 now. 

Coming into Corrigan, TX, years ago I was doing about 45 mph in anticipation of the city limit line, where the speed limit drops sharply from 55 to 35.  I see the deputy sheriff coming in my direction.  Like your incident, he passes and does a Uey while lining me up for the kill.  He said, "I clocked you at 70 mph.  And when you saw me, you speeded up."  You simply can't argue with a rigged game.  Deputy Fife wrote me a ticket and said to call the hanging judge when I got back to Houston.  Your Honor said that if I sent him $50 for the ticket and stayed out of town for 30 days, he'd keep it off my record.  About a month later I read in the newspaper that Corrigan is the No. 3 most infamous speed trap in Texas.  They've got a bypass around the town now.  If you're ever forced to go through there, I suggest you take it....very slowly.

Edited by gun sane
Guest Bonedaddy

Hard to catch all the fish in a pond, ya know? IME, Troopers are much better to deal with than the local LE, 'specially with HCPs involved. Even had one ask for a date from my daughter but she wasn't available.

Pennsylvania is the only state with some kind of a legal regulation about wearing the hat that I know of.  It had to do originally with all the unmarked cars they used for speed enforcement.  You could tell it was a Trooper if you saw the smokey hat & usually a shotgun barrel in the window.  Tennessee only has policy about wearing the hat outside the car unless it's changed.  I was photographed carrying a child out of a wreck without my hat on.  It showed up in the Jackson Sun and cost me a day off.

Cherokee Slim

I'm betting on 2am boredom creating a phishing expedition. The bulb out was reason enough to make the stop. Then it's time to play "what's inside car #1?"

I think once he found out i was a HCP holder and i was just coming off work that I wasn't worth a search. I do however wish i had a videocamera mounted at that time just to show the internet not all cops are bad as some make 'em out to be.

Dealt with them twice when I was younger, once for doing 95 in a 70 just before Lebanon west bound and once after I had an accident in my car and was missing the rear bumper, they gave me a $150 citation for no bumper on the vehicle. The THP's in these parts are strict as Hell, lol. The saying goes around here, "If a THP pulls you over, 90% chance you're getting a ticket." lol

I've only had 2 dealings with the THP. One was my involvment in a traffic accident( which he was there only to take statements) and the recent stopping by one in Manchester. Both times they were nice and cordial. Now some city and county cops seem like they want to harass you. The rudest cops i have dealt with were in Estil Springs( which is a speed trap) and Tullahoma( though the officer in question has since been transferred). It was back when I was a teenager, my dealings with the TPD.

Putnam County Sheriff's are some of the NICEST most laid back people I've ever had the pleasure of dealing with. When I see a PCS fly by all I can think, "There was either a pretty bad wreck or someone has SERIOUSLY @#$%ed up..."

Edited by whitewolf001

Every time I've encountered State or Local LEO with my HCP 95% of them look at me as if they don't have the first clue as to why I handed them 2 IDs.  I think I've been asked once or twice where the gun is.  Once by an Alabama State Trooper and once by a Chattanooga PD officer.  FYI I've been pulled over once in maybe 15 years the rest of the times I was either reporting something or giving a statement to something I saw happen.

Coming into Corrigan, TX, years ago I was doing about 45 mph in anticipation of the city limit line, where the speed limit drops sharply from 55 to 35.  I see the deputy sheriff coming in my direction.  Like your incident, he passes and does a Uey while lining me up for the kill.  He said, "I clocked you at 70 mph.  And when you saw me, you speeded up."  You simply can't argue with a rigged game.  Deputy Fife wrote me a ticket and said to call the hanging judge when I got back to Houston.  Your Honor said that if I sent him $50 for the ticket and stayed out of town for 30 days, he'd keep it off my record.  About a month later I read in the newspaper that Corrigan is the No. 3 most infamous speed trap in Texas.  They've got a bypass around the town now.  If you're ever forced to go through there, I suggest you take it....very slowly.

Sounds like Roscoe and Boss Hogg!

On a regular traffic stop, I never ask a HCP holder where it is.

I'll ask, "What are you carrying?" for two reasons.

1.  Just curious about what people choose to defend themselves.

2.  Continue to be amazed that about 60-70% say they don't have the gun with them.  Sad.

On a regular traffic stop, I never ask a HCP holder where it is.

I'll ask, "What are you carrying?" for two reasons.

1.  Just curious about what people choose to defend themselves.

2.  Continue to be amazed that about 60-70% say they don't have the gun with them.  Sad.

Or so they say... ;)