cops given directives to hassle, ticket, or arrest specific numbers of residents per shift

Guest AmericanWorkMule

No question that following the speed limit will usually result in no speeding tickets. But, it's not always a 100% because it's not always a certainty which car in speeding if the LEO is using Doppler radar and there are multiple targets.

Radar unit manufacturers and trainers may like to profess otherwise but there is and has to be a bit of human choice in the matter and they can chose incorrectly.  Plus; you put a bright red Corvette and a mini-van close to each other with the van doing 78 in a 70 zone and the Corvette doing 75 and I can almost guarantee you that more often than not, the 'Vette will draw the ticket for doing 78!  ;)

Radar is only an aid for what the Officer observes.

None of the reasons you posted allows you to break the law. Speeding is speeding. Man up if your caught.

if I get caught, I get caught, just don't like the motorcycle posse that rides and sets up stings around rush hour on streets that I take.. That's all. But I will go out of my way, if one of them needs some help.. 

Well, you have a lot of people who seem to think getting a ticket for 51 in a 45 means a cop is out to get them and fill a quota. I mean, never mind the fact the sign CLEARLY says 45. Lol. People seem to think laws only apply to others.

That right there is why when I speed, I speed for real.  I've only had 3 speeding tickets my entire life, but I've always made it easy on the ticketing officer and myself.  I got one 5 years ago during the morning rush heading north on I-65 just north of Harding - absolutely beautiful commute, everybody, all four lanes, running 70+ mph in a 65 zone, no consideration whatsoever for HOV priveleges (stupid as all get out, but that's for another time).  I was running ~82 in the left lane with nothing but wide open space in front of me and got lasered by an unmarked car.  After I pull over, the officer comes to my window as says "What's the legal reason you were going 83 in a 65 mph zone?".  Me:  "Is there one?" :hat:

• Like 4

That right there is why when I speed, I speed for real. I've only had 3 speeding tickets my entire life, but I've always made it easy on the ticketing officer and myself. I got one 5 years ago during the morning rush heading north on I-65 just north of Harding - absolutely beautiful commute, everybody, all four lanes, running 70+ mph in a 65 zone, no consideration whatsoever for HOV priveleges (stupid as all get out, but that's for another time). I was running ~82 in the left lane with nothing but wide open space in front of me and got lasered by an unmarked car. After I pull over, the officer comes to my window as says "What's the legal reason you were going 83 in a 65 mph zone?". Me: "Is there one?" :hat:

Ha, my driving habits changed a lot after I got married and had kids, but when I was younger I'd get pulled over all the time. Most of the time I didn't get a ticket, and the ones that I did get were greatly reduced. I referred to getting ticketed as a "speeding tax". Nothing for me to get upset about; if I was caught I was caught. I'd treat the officer respectful and be honest, and they'd treat me the same way. Seems it would usually work out in my favor, and if it didn't then no sweat.

None of the reasons you posted allows you to break the law. Speeding is speeding. Man up if your caught.

That right there is why when I speed, I speed for real.  I've only had 3 speeding tickets my entire life, but I've always made it easy on the ticketing officer and myself.  I got one 5 years ago during the morning rush heading north on I-65 just north of Harding - absolutely beautiful commute, everybody, all four lanes, running 70+ mph in a 65 zone, no consideration whatsoever for HOV priveleges (stupid as all get out, but that's for another time).  I was running ~82 in the left lane with nothing but wide open space in front of me and got lasered by an unmarked car.  After I pull over, the officer comes to my window as says "What's the legal reason you were going 83 in a 65 mph zone?".  Me:  "Is there one?" :hat:

PFFFT!

When I ran over the cliff in '11, the ASSHOLE THP wrote me a ticket for failure to maintain control (100% true and my fault), traveling on the opposite side of a double yellow (was sort of true, except I was sliding down the road on my back and not on the motorcycle) and careless driving (not even sure what this one was about, I was going 15 mph under the posted speed limit for the corner due to traffic). On top of that, the cop showed up at the hospital while I'm still in a coma and tells my wife to sign for the ticket or they're going to issue an arrest warrant for me when I'm released from the hospital and says I gave him some kind of verbal statement while unconscious with a ventilator in my throat... we still haven't figured out how that happened.

Funniest thing of the situation was that one of my doctors said to go to court and fight it and explain to the judge that the ticket was wrong because it should've been a charge for jaywalking since I was already off the bike when sliding lol.  Luckily a lawyer got the story and was pretty pissed off, so he took care of the issue immediately for free and I just had to show up for the judge to toss it.

Or running lights for non-emergencies?

Just keep in mind I don't have anything against LEOs..

I'm sure that it happens, but keep in mind, just because you see an officer turn on his lights in order to blow through an intersection doesn't mean he's not on the way to an emergency. There are reasons an officer might not be going lights and sirens the whole way.

I'm sure that it happens, but keep in mind, just because you see an officer turn on his lights in order to blow through an intersection doesn't mean he's not on the way to an emergency. There are reasons an officer might not be going lights and sirens the whole way.

I know of many reasons (robbery in progress and they are close). I saw it in NY, where they just wanted to cross the street. 

Tennessee has no "state police" department, so I would guess that is not true.  We do have the TBI but I would certainly hope that a state wide agency that focuses on felonious crime would be hauling in more than two felons a month. 

Correction I meant State troopers.

THP didn't used to have a quota.  Due to bad PR that would result I would doubt they have one now.  What they WILL do is if somebody in Nashville thinks a Districts ticket numbers are down, the Road Lieutenant will stand on the side of the Interstate with 3-4 catch cars & a speed gun to raise the numbers.

Cherokee Slim

I personally have never seen one obeying any posted limits, one of the many perks of driving an "official vehicle" I suppose.

Never?  Really?

EVERY cop you've ever witnessed, in your WHOLE life, was speeding?

Lol...please, give me a break.  Hard to take you seriously with silly comments like that.

Edited by TN-popo

Or running lights for non-emergencies?  

Just keep in mind I don't have anything against LEOs..

Your city has video in the cars...it pops on automactically when the blue lights are activated.

If an officer uses his lights/siren inappropriately, it's recorded and he gets smacked.

Just keep that in mind...

Edited by TN-popo

Never? Really?
EVERY cop you've ever witnessed in your WHOLE life was speeding?
Lol...please, give me a break. Sheesh.

Was thinking the same thing. My dad always drove like an old lady, whether in the family van or his trooper car.
The way to avoid tickets is don't speed. Unless you are on a long road trip, going 10mph over the speed limit is only going to save you 1-2 minutes. If you drive the speed limit you will not get a ticket unless you have a major tire discrepancy and then you should know. You more than likely put the bigger tires on there to begin with. After 15 yrs in the new car parts and service business I did learn that all electronically controlled speedos have a programmable pinion factor for tire size and changing gear ratios. This is no excuse.

The way to avoid tickets is don't speed. Unless you are on a long road trip, going 10mph over the speed limit is only going to save you 1-2 minutes. If you drive the speed limit you will not get a ticket unless you have a major tire discrepancy and then you should know. You more than likely put the bigger tires on there to begin with. After 15 yrs in the new car parts and service business I did learn that all electronically controlled speedos have a programmable pinion factor for tire size and changing gear ratios. This is no excuse.

I've tried slowing down to the speed limit on a few longer trips where arrival time was not a factor. Playing in the speed band of the trucks (and older drivers who tend to be the ones who hit that speed) was more stressful and, in my opinion, more dangerous than kicking it up a bit.