why conservative radio does well?

Sam1

Just had someone here at the hotel in Miami inform me that the only reason liberal radio fails and conservative talk radio does well, is because all liberals have jobs and can't spend the day listening to the radio.

As you can imagine, a small bit of cheap waffle almost shot out my nose from hysterically laughing.

So, as soon as you bums go out and get jobs, Rush, Hannity and the likes are going off-air.
Guest Lester Weevils

That is funny.

I doubt that liberal talk radio will have much of a resurgence because it tends to just be deadly boring, regardless of political slant.

Am too lazy and don't care enough to follow the topic, but have heard some comments on conservative radio shows, that ratings are falling on conservative radio shows and some long-term talkers are "in trouble" or at least "in a slump". If that actually is true, I think it is attributable to boring shows as well. Some folks have longer attention spans than others, but how long can the typical person daily listen to the same old voices bitching about the same old issues? Days? Weeks? Months? Decades? At some time, even if a person generally enjoys a show, the daily listener will become an occasional listener and ratings will fall.

Edited by Lester Weevils
Guest 6.8 AR

The only way liberal talk radio succeeds, if you can ever call it that, is when it is federally subsidized. They

have no base of listeners. The market tells it all.

That is funny.

I doubt that liberal talk radio will have much of a resurgence because it tends to just be deadly boring, regardless of political slant.

Am too lazy and don't care enough to follow the topic, but have heard some comments on conservative radio shows, that ratings are falling on conservative radio shows and some long-term talkers are "in trouble" or at least "in a slump". If that actually is true, I think it is attributable to boring shows as well. Some folks have longer attention spans than others, but how long can the typical person daily listen to the same old voices bitching about the same old issues? Days? Weeks? Months? Decades? At some time, even if a person generally enjoys a show, the daily listener will become an occasional listener and ratings will fall.

I haven't taken the time to try to analyze any numbers. All media consumer habits are a moving target, and always have been. Right now, there are more information sources than ever. Scheduled broadcast sources have taken a hit because of interactive (on demand) sources. Needless to say, those scheduled broadcast sources can also be delivered as interactive. If Rush's and Beck's audiences dropped to half all of a sudden, they would still be huge. 

One of these days, I'll dig into the numbers and find out for myself. I don't see conservative talk going away, especially with all the liberal bias of the MSM (TV and print). It's a sanctuary.

Guest 6.8 AR

Another reason it won't go away is the political pressure I think the federales are doing to introduce liberal

talk back into the marketplace. They never stopped it since Reagan said the Fairness Doctrine was just

more Barbara Streisand. SiriusXM has its share of libtalk and, from what I hear, is expanding it.

The media is damned near completely liberal, sometimes including Fox. So why wouldn't one expect it to continue?

Of course, the media marketplace will most likely never accept liberal talk radio until they have gotten rid of the

opposite and then we have nothing but propaganda. Then, the radio will die off.

Guest Lester Weevils

Probably my favorite curmudgeon is Chris Markowski, watchdog on wall street. He only has an intermittend weekend broadcast on the local airwaves, whenever it doesn't get knocked off the air by boring and annoying TN Vols weekend worship services. I can stream the local station on the phone via iHeartRadio, and often do, but one has to tune in at the appropriate time and hope there isn't a vols game, or pre-game boring discussion, or post-game boring discussion.

One can visit his website to sign up for podcasts but I'm too lazy for that, but found a site PodOmatic where I can listen to that sour, ill-tempered gentleman at leisure in a browser on the phone.

http://chrismarkowskishow.podomatic.com/

Edited by Lester Weevils

There's lots of liberal talk. CNN, MSNBC, NPR, etc. The Fairness Doctrine will never happen again. The FCC stays away from content, and probably always will. It would be a lot tougher than taking on the gun lobby.

I was thinking about the Fairness doctrine today after hearing kingNothing blaming Bush for the millionth time down in Chattanooga.

Wouldn't it be great if politicians had to follow this doctrine, once Eldumbo finishes lying equal time has to be given to his opposition. Big question is who would that be?  :rofl:

Air America was the last talk show I've heard about failing, I'm guessing hatred, lying, Al Franken and Rachel Maddcow was to blame? Likewise, MSNBC always scrapes the barrel in cable news ratings.

I listen to conservative radio all day everyday and I listen to a lot of AM late at night.  Always wondered why there is a plethora of conservative radio shows but I never heard liberal radio.

Because even the people who buy it can only listen to so much Barbara Streisand at a time.

I listen to the Patriot channel on Sirius just about anytime I'm driving, I try, emphasis on try, to listen to Sirius Left from time to time, but it just makes my head hurt.

Guest 6.8 AR

Because even the people who buy it can only listen to so much Barbara Streisand at a time.

I listen to the Patriot channel on Sirius just about anytime I'm driving, I try, emphasis on try, to listen to Sirius Left from time to time, but it just makes my head hurt.

Attaboy! Just bold it next time for the ones it flies over. :D

As unsexy as it sounds, I think it's really more about demographics than ideology.  Radio is an older medium and draws an older audience.  Talk radio listeners as a subset skew yet older.  Political talk radio draws an even older demo relative to other talk radio.  Older generally equates to "conservative."

Generally eschewing empirical data lest it get in the way of one of my theories, I nevertheless did a quick search on Twitter followers.  Twitter = newer media = younger demographics and younger generally equating to "liberal."

Rush Limbaugh --> < 250,000

Rachel Maddow --> a tad over 2.6 million

CNN breaking news --> ~12 million

Fox News --> ~3 million

My $0.02.   

Because Conservative radio tells the truth. The liberal stations are just like the liberal mainstream media. They cannot tell the truth and would rather drink kool aid and put a spin shine on obamawhos ass while listening to in a godda da vida until the sun comes up. Edited by Randall53
  • Like 1

Because Conservative radio tells the truth. The liberal stations are just like the liberal mainstream media. They cannot tell the truth and would rather drink kool aid and put a spin shine on obamawhos ass while listening to in a godda da vida until the sun comes up.

Pretty much. Left-wing ideas do not stand up to a great deal of scrutiny. Sound-bites, photo-opportunities, gut reactions, that's the modus-operandi of left-wing politics. TV tends to fall right into that pattern but radio allows for a longer, more focused look at the issue.

I tend to listen to it in my car on the way to/from work. I'm sure that has a lot to do with it as well.

Guest Lester Weevils

As unsexy as it sounds, I think it's really more about demographics than ideology.  Radio is an older medium and draws an older audience.  Talk radio listeners as a subset skew yet older.  Political talk radio draws an even older demo relative to other talk radio.  Older generally equates to "conservative."

Generally eschewing empirical data lest it get in the way of one of my theories, I nevertheless did a quick search on Twitter followers.  Twitter = newer media = younger demographics and younger generally equating to "liberal."

Fox News --> ~3 million

My $0.02.   

I approve of your use of fuzzy empirical data.

That allows a possible "reasonable demographic" explanation of the comment overheard in Florida, from perspective of the commenter. Rather than simply a completely-detached-from-reality comment-- "The only reason liberal radio fails and conservative talk radio does well, is because all liberals have jobs and can't spend the day listening to the radio."--

Florida is overflowing to the brim with geezers-- If geezers are more likely to listen to conservative talk radio, then a working person in florida might have been speaking of retired geezers rather than lazy jobless conservatives? Perhaps fairly accurate from his experience of his local environment?

Guest 6.8 AR

Fox News --> ~3 million

My $0.02.   

As far as utilizing how many followers on has on Twitter, I think comparing one media's use with those same people

might be more of a clue. Rush doesn't care about his Twitters like Hannity does. Plus, my own thought is that Twitter

is only a flash in the pan as far as media goes. Radio is a medium that requires a good speaker. Twitter users, on

average, can't spell much more than their own names. It is a new way to communicate, but radio is more of substance,

which is something the liberals can't do without fluffing too many lies in your face while driving down the road. That's

why liberal talk radio is unsuccessful.

One usually likes someone because of their substance, after a while, not just how entertaining he or she is. Liberals

flood the media anywhere they can. That's why Twitter is so prevalent among liberals and youth without brains.