organization for "like minded people"..

Hey guys, 

Not sure about what you guys think about joining outside groups, but I started started chatting with these guys- http://www.americansentinelsmilitia.com/index.php .

Check them out and see if its something that you'd be interested in. They break their group up into regions, and TN is in the SouthEast group. There are not many Tennesseans on here yet it seems. Hopefully, some of the people on this site can help "bulk it up" a little. 

The problems with "militia" groups is the negative image painted of them by the media that portrays members as extremist, violent, potential domestic-terrorist, sorts of hogwash.

Shame really considering traditional militia's have always historically served their communities with great distinction in times of peril, providing safety & security when the official goverment resources were inadequate.

These days they've been redefined though & I personally wouldn't want to be associated with one, even if all we did was stand around wearing tri-corner hats, eat beans & have farting contests.
Half of the members there are likely from various 3-letter agencies. Not that I have a problem with a civilian organization in the event of something happening that would require such an organization to exist, the problem is that it will get attention you don't want and many of the people (at least ones that I have met) who are in such organizations have such extremist views that the real purpose for having the organization is lost.

I would love to be in a citizen militia that conducted regular training for the purpose of homeland defense, and would aid during natural disasters as well as volunteer itself in the community for various good causes. Unfortunately, folks I have met who are in these types of groups predominantly share extremist views such as white supremacy, violent overthrow of the US government, criminal activity and sympathy toward terrorist attacks against the government and civilians (such as the Oklahoma City bombing). This is the reason most folks like myself will never be part of such a community.
  • Like 1

There is one, it's called the Tennessee State Guard which traces its roots back to the Revolutionary War.

It's primary roles today is disaster relief, including medical and chaplain units, communication and security.  A lot of folks don't give it much credit either because we don't meet in secret (or run around a woods playing Revolutionary War, the squeal) or because are mission is not to be a combat force...we don't drive tanks, carry M16s/M4s, throw grenades or mortars but we have plenty of members who know how to do those things - we follow U.S. Army guidelines and the overwhelming majority of members are prior military (many have retired from the active military).

These men (and women) come together to train and provide services because they have a burning desire to serve and generally have a view of our current government that is in line with what the founders intended.

I would love to be in a citizen militia that conducted regular training for the purpose of homeland defense, and would aid during natural disasters as well as volunteer itself in the community for various good causes.

Not exactly for the "purpose of homeland defense" but there are plenty of reputable organizations that provide training and opportunities for community volunteering and are active during disasters. Many church denominations have disaster relief arms (Catholic Charities, UMCOR, etc.) that always need volunteers. Some offer training to be early responders. Then you have volunteer fire departments, Civil Air Patrol, The American Red Cross, and as RobertNashville mention, the TN State Guard.

Not exactly for the "purpose of homeland defense" but there are plenty of reputable organizations that provide training and opportunities for community volunteering and are active during disasters. Many church denominations have disaster relief arms (Catholic Charities, UMCOR, etc.) that always need volunteers. Some offer training to be early responders. Then you have volunteer fire departments, Civil Air Patrol, The American Red Cross, and as RobertNashville mention, the TN State Guard.

I thought the TN State Guard was under the direction of state government, like in Georgia.

I wouldn't join a group like this unless it was a tongue-in-cheek sort of local "Zombie Response Team" that trained for hypothetical zombie apocalypse sort of scenarios, I wouldn't want the group I was affiliated with to delve into politics or current events or anything "real" like that.

“Join or Die”
They take their membership drives pretty seriously.

You should at least read their bylaws and the "About ASM" page. 
Also, "Join, or die" was from a political cartoon created by Benjamin Franklin and first published in his Pennsylvania Gazette on May 9, 1754 pertaining to the states uniting. Not a bad quote, but way to take it out of context.

American Sentinels Bylaws

1. American Sentinel Militia, also referred to as ASM, is a constitutionally based militia. We are not a group of renegades, outlaws, anarchists, terrorists or criminals. We adhere to the law and support the constitutional rights of all Americans, regardless of race, sex or creed.

I'm not sure I want to belong to any organization like this that anyone else knows about. ;)

I am with you.  No telling how many lists we are already on.  I hear the NSA has an entire wing of servers just for us.  :D

There is one, it's called the Tennessee State Guard which traces its roots back to the Revolutionary War.

It's primary roles today is disaster relief, including medical and chaplain units, communication and security.  A lot of folks don't give it much credit either because we don't meet in secret (or run around a woods playing Revolutionary War, the squeal) or because are mission is not to be a combat force...we don't drive tanks, carry M16s/M4s, throw grenades or mortars but we have plenty of members who know how to do those things - we follow U.S. Army guidelines and the overwhelming majority of members are prior military (many have retired from the active military).

These men (and women) come together to train and provide services because they have a burning desire to serve and generally have a view of our current government that is in line with what the founders intended.

Thanks for that info. I reached out to them yesterday. I am just looking to do my part, should the need ever arise. I want to make as many contacts/friends in the area, who have similar backgrounds/skills. 
As far as the gubment tracking us, theres not much we can do about that. Since I run www.facebook.com/2ndAmendmentUSA, since I am a NRA member/recruiter and since I am a gun owner, I am sure I am already on the watch-list. Pretty sure this site is a magnet for the 3 letters anyway.

I'm thinking you might want to get in contact with the Sheriff's department in your county and see what you can do to be helpful. The Sheriff by law is the highest ranking law enforcement officer in the county. When push comes to shove, the County Sheriff is going to need to know who he can count on. . . .