The clothing becomes the bomb??

In related news: The FAA and DHS have just announced that all air travelers will fly naked.

In unrelated news: Southwest Airlines has canceled all Hot Coffee service on domestic flights.

Some how, I don't buy that they would be undetectable to dogs that are trained.  But what do I know, except someday soon they will be trying to convenience passengers to fly naked.   Those will be some scary times indeed.

Mythbusters did a show on this about 6 years ago. It is basically the same as gun cotton except in the form of clothing rather than a block of cotton.
http://dsc.discovery.com/tv-shows/mythbusters/videos/exploding-pants-minimyth.htm

I am sure that the dogs or maybe even people will smell that.

Edited by vontar

In related news: The FAA and DHS have just announced that all air travelers will fly naked.

In unrelated news: Southwest Airlines has canceled all Hot Coffee service on domestic flights.

The Mile High Club will get awfully crowded..!!!!

The problem is with explosive clothing... is that it won't freaking explode unless it's in a container that creates pressure, and if you put it in a container.. then you've got a normal bomb and not some super scary explosive clothing.  Worst case scenario is that they immolate their idiot selves with a flash fire.

This whole thing looks like a bunch of malarkey... "Fear is a great control mechanism"

Edited by Sam1
  • Like 1

Some explosives don't need a pressure vessel to cause enough of a problem on an airplane.

I guess if it was already pressurized and was a smaller cabin, but we can throw hypotheticals at it all day and not really accomplish anything.  The news is making it sound like people can detonate a sub-atomic explosion on a street corner in a tank top and flip flops.

Forget the clothing. How about the stories about the surgically implanted explosives.
Wetware.

They can't implant enough explosives into themselves to cause any real damage other than spreading their body parts everywhere. They would have to cram several pounds of explosives into themselves, which would take up too much room, as it would all have to be located in the same spot, such as a gut. Even then, they'd have a beach ball belly which wouldn't pass through a body scanner due to the irregular shape which would earn you a pat down where it would be discovered. Then you have to figure you need an initiation device to set it off. I guess they could cram that up their butt, since they're into that sorta thing anyway, but to what end? They still can't do much damage to the aircraft unless maybe they blow themselves up at the cock pit door. Even then I would be surprised if it did anything to the aircraft other than require a hose to clean it up.

Bad guys in Iraq did this all the time with dead bodies and dead animals. You'd be amazed how much a body absorbs a blast.

Forget the clothing. How about the stories about the surgically implanted explosives.

Wetware.

There is virtually no real protection against those who are very willing or even eager to die for a cause.  The left will just slowly erode our freedoms as long as we try to maintain this political correctness we are afflicted with, while the terrorists continue to adapt.   We all know what the answer is, we just lack the b**** to go ahead and do it.

There is virtually no real protection against those who are very willing or even eager to die for a cause. The left will just slowly erode our freedoms as long as we try to maintain this political correctness we are afflicted with, while the terrorists continue to adapt. We all know what the answer is, we just lack the b**** to go ahead and do it.

Well, the bright side is that I know I'm not the only one keeping my eye on Hadj when I get on the plane. History has proven that ordinary passengers are more likely to interdict an attack as opposed to TSA stopping it.
  • Like 1

And even if they did only set themselves on fire in a airplane cabin that would be very, very damaging. That could easily take an airplane down.

They could go to a retro store and buy a bunch of 70s clothing if they wanted to do that.