Great War Movies

kieefer

Just finished U571, this may have been the 5th time since it came out and still as intense as the first.  :up:

I have Pacific in holding, never seen it and I'm already disappointed so I may skip it and re-view Enemy at the Gates. Sounds like the liberals had a finger in the Pacific.  :bored:

Caster mentioned Defiance with Daniel Craig, also have this one in the collection and it is very good.

OK, how about a couple of Chick war movies? Cold Mountain and Atonement are very good dramas in a war period with good stories. 

Also, Hannibal Rising has a war theme also but I wouldn't say it's a chick movie  :rofl:

Guest TankerHC

There is a war movie my brother told me about that I had never heard of. Its Russian and on Netflix. Called The 9th Company about a Company of Russian Infantry from basic training through to Afghanistan. Its about a battle that took place on Hill 3234 in 1988. It's pretty good, the story isnt entirely true, (its a movie) but the parts from Basic training to the defense of hill 3234 are supposed to be.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_9th_Company

"

I can't believe that no one has mentioned an all time Stanley Kubrick classic, as in the words of Private Pyle, "Full... Metal... Jacket..."

5-things-you-might-not-know-about-full-m

I laughed through most of that movie's boot camp scenes. I was the only one laughing in the theatre too. It came out not too long after I was discharged from The Corps, and I was laughing at the audience's reaction to some of the things being portrayed.

• Like 1

Has Hitler: The Last Ten Days  Downfall been mentioned?

Good film and most likely you've seen a piece of it, a clip of it has done to describe Hitler's dislike with Glocks, BMW's and even a clogged toilet.

Edited by kieefer

Has Hitler: The Last Ten Days been mentioned?

Good film and most likely you've seen a piece of it, a clip of it has done to describe Hitler's dislike with Glocks, BMW's and even a clogged toilet.

That movie is called "Downfall" I believe (unless it has a different name in other countries). 

That movie is called "Downfall" I believe (unless it has a different name in other countries). 

Correct, I thought that didn't sound right and gave up too early on my search.  Thanks for the correction.

Guest nra37922

WE forgot Father Goose - a romantic comedy film set in World War II, starring Cary Grant, Leslie Caron and Trevor Howard. The title derives from "Mother Goose", the codename assigned to Grant's character. The film won an Academy Award for its screenplay.

Guest Wildogre

Tears of the Sun, Blackhawk Down, We Were Soldiers are the recent ones on my list.

Most of the older ones have already been mentioned, one that has not is Zulu.

+1  one of, if not the best "Nam movie made.

I have to agree, I watched We Were Soldiers last night thanks to this posting.  My wife had bought me the movie 1+ year ago, and never got around to watching it.  This posting got me interested, and watched it.  All I have to say, is excellent, and thanks for posting!