Snakes!!!

I like snakes.. I am not afraid of them..UNLESS they are copperheads and rattlesnakes.. IN MY DRIVEWAY..

Usually we get all sorts of snakes.. garter, black, green and corn..

Within a week we had 2 poisonous snakes  at the house.. never seen before since we have lived up here.

I have dogs and cats..

Sucks to be a snake ..:(

• Like 1

I've always heard there were copperheads on the ridge, fortunaletly have never seen one. Will keep my eyes open. Thanks

Copperheads can wind up about anywhere, even in the city.

I killed one just around the corner of the mountain from Ms. Kraut's place when I lived up that way. Pretty sure one of our dogs got struck by one once, too.

Probably lots of them around, we had 40 mostly unkempt acres, ran across snakes all the time, but that was the only copperhead I ever saw. Never heard of any timber rattlers in the area, though, at least from anyone whose opinion I'd trust. Lots of black panthers spotted though, of course. :squint:

- OS

• Like 1

Welll if you live at the end of Clinch Mountain we might just as well say we are neigbors. Hiked up to Signal Point once when I was in the scouts, that was a lifetime ago. We live in the shadow of  what used to be the WBIR TV tower, a couple of good rock throws from the Grainger line.

And, maybe its the black panthers that keep eating my corn. Do they eat veggies with their meat?

I killed one just around the corner of the mountain from Ms. Kraut's place when I lived up that way. Pretty sure one of our dogs got struck by one once, too.

Probably lots of them around, we had 40 mostly unkempt acres, ran across snakes all the time, but that was the only copperhead I ever saw. Never heard of any timber rattlers in the area, though, at least from anyone whose opinion I'd trust. Lots of black panthers spotted though, of course. :squint:

- OS

There are rattlesnakes.  Dad blew the head off of one while in his turkey hunting stand last year up at Royal Blue near Montgomery Creek.  It was fairly big, ~10 buttons.   He was sitting on a hunting chair when it came by his foot (and the gun barrel).  When it started to coil, he pulled the trigger.

Edited by R_Bert

- OS

It had rattlers.. want me to take a pic of it? First one we ever seen in 10 years.

We used to see those really neat green slim snakes all over too.. Have not seen one here .. except one dead on the road.

It had rattles, about 5-6, and was about 2.5 feet long.

Heck, if we wind up at the range this weekend I will bring the rattles for you if something hasn't drug it off yet.

eta: something already grabbed it.

I don't see them very often but they are here. Copperheads are more plentiful.

Edited by Dolomite_supafly

Been seeing a bunch of the same species of snake around here lately, need to start keeping a camera handy. I suspect it might be a rat snake? By description they're black, have what appears to be numerous humps on their backs and don't "S" crawl but move very fast in a straight line.

Last rattle snake I laid eyeballs on was in the country close to Erin, TN. way back when most of you youngsters were in diapers (1973).

It had rattlers....

Well, that settles it for me, then they're around that part of the Clinch range for sure.

Timbers have long fangs and put out a high venom yield, probably our most dangerous snake really if actually bitten.  Supposedly the mildest tempered of the rattlers though (it's the one favored for religious snake handling), but it was still definitely best dispatched, for you and your animals both.

- OS

Run into lots of snakes out my way. Bailed up a 4 foot rattler last year in that same field where we had the shoot a few months back. I get probably 6-8 copperheads and 2-4 rattlers every year between my place and my dads. And thats in the immediate vicinity, I dont go looking.

Tapatalk ate my spelling.

Run into lots of snakes out my way. Bailed up a 4 foot rattler last year in that same field where we had the shoot a few months back. I get probably 6-8 copperheads and 2-4 rattlers every year between my place and my dads. And thats in the immediate vicinity, I dont go looking.

same place where we went fishing? It certainly looked " snakey"...

sent barefoot from the hills of Tennessee

same place where we went fishing? It certainly looked " snakey"...

sent barefoot from the hills of Tennessee

No, the field up by my dads. I won't tell you how many copperheads came out of that burn pile right next to where we fished when we set fire to it last year....

I assumed all snakes lay eggs... . But yes, there were a number of tiny copperheads in their garage.

Ah, IC, just seemed you meant they found eggs first before they "hatched".

All US/Canadian venomous snakes give live birth except the coral snake which does lay eggs. The cottonmouth is technically oviparous instead of viviparous like the rattlesnake and copperhead, meaning that the brood does hatch from eggs, but they are retained inside the female until ready for the live birth.

- OS

Edited by Oh Shoot

Well, that settles it for me, then they're around that part of the Clinch range for sure.

Timbers have long fangs and put out a high venom yield, probably our most dangerous snake really if actually bitten.  Supposedly the mildest tempered of the rattlers though (it's the one favored for religious snake handling), but it was still definitely best dispatched, for you and your animals both.

- OS

I poked and prodded it for a few minutes and it seemed very docile. A blacksnake is a whole lot more aggressive. Either way I do not want it around because of my animals. We already spend a metric ton of money on them, don't need another bill.

I have seen them bigger but they are a rare sight. I see copperheads 5 to 1 to rattlesnakes.

Timbers have long fangs and put out a high venom yield, probably our most dangerous snake really if actually bitten. Supposedly the mildest tempered of the rattlers though (it's the one favored for religious snake handling), but it was still definitely best dispatched, for you and your animals both.

- OS

I poked and prodded it for a few minutes and it seemed very docile. A blacksnake is a whole lot more aggressive. Either way I do not want it around because of my animals. We already spend a metric ton of money on them, don't need another bill.

I have seen them bigger but they are a rare sight. I see copperheads 5 to 1 to rattlesnakes.

Biggest one I've seen my old man killex by the chicken coop a few years ago. Hes 5'10 and cold hold it by the tail straight out, and its head and a good 6" of body drug the ground. Big bastard. The big ones seem to stay out of sight for the most part. Ive hold old timers talk about digging some huge ones out of rock bars that had probably been there for years when they where mining and logging.

It had rattlers....

Timbers have long fangs and put out a high venom yield, probably our most dangerous snake really if actually bitten. Supposedly the mildest tempered of the rattlers though (it's the one favored for religious snake handling), but it was still definitely best dispatched, for you and your animals both.

- OS

Timber Rattlers native range covers the entire state of Tennessee, so you could encounter them anywhere, even near town if habitat was conducive nearby.

Most TR's I've encountered have been docile. Some never moved when I stepped right next to them, one barely moved, even when prodded with a stick.

One however stood up and tried to block our path. We stepped to the side and it moved in front of us. It's in snake heaven now.

Biggest one I've seen my old man killex by the chicken coop a few years ago. Hes 5'10 and cold hold it by the tail straight out, and its head and a good 6" of body drug the ground. Big bastard

Bout as big as they are known to get; hell, you might have had the world's record there, could maybe have made a buck some way or another on it!

- OS

Biggest one I've seen my old man killex by the chicken coop a few years ago. Hes 5'10 and cold hold it by the tail straight out, and its head and a good 6" of body drug the ground. Big bastard

Bout as big as they are known to get; hell, you might have had the world's record there, could maybe have made a buck some way or another on it!

- OS

This was about 15 years ago. I was only 10 or so. We might have a Polaroid of it somewhere, Ill ask. Far as I know he just threw it over the hill and went back cutting firewood.