Dry rubbed hickory smoked pork and shine

Raoul

Guest 6.8 AR

My fantastic cook of a wife made some fantastic gumbo, yesterday. It was out of this world.

And gone!

Edited by 6.8 AR

That sounds yummy.

I crock potted a pork butt yesterday with a mojo (esque) sauce.  Black beans, yellow rice and pulled pork.  mmm, mmm good.

That sounds good.  You can make surprisingly good pulled pork bbq in a crock pot.  

That sounds good.  You can make surprisingly good pulled pork bbq in a crock pot.  

Well, you can make some pretty good pulled pork in a crock pot.  However, if it ain't smoked it ain't barbecue. :pleased:

• Like 2

I recently had an interesting quart. The fella had a field of millet he didn't know what to do with. So he put some of the toasted millet into his mashbill.

Yummy stuff.

For some reason, that made me think of this:

I have said on here, before, that my dad made and ran shine down around north Georgia in his younger days.  I once had the opportunity to have him 'evaluate' some of the stuff from up around Newport for me.  The first thing he said was that the alcohol content wasn't very high - he estimated only around 80 proof (he said that the stuff he used to make ran around 90 proof, at least.)  Then he tasted it and his reaction was, "Well, I'd say it's safe but they put rye in it.  Why the hell would anybody ruin good whiskey by putting G**damn rye in it?"

Edited by JAB
  • Like 1

Man, this thread is making me jones for some good barbecue and now I am feeling the need to 'fight back'.  I am off from work on Thursday and Friday (as well as my normal Saturday and Sunday) of next week.  I considered going camping but then realized that it will be Labor Day weekend.  I don't want to be within ten miles of the campgrounds on Labor Day weekend even if I thought I could find a spot.  I am now thinking that firing the smoker would be a good plan.

Now I just need to decide if I want to smoke pork ribs:

photobucket-4267-1341503658623.jpg

Chicken breasts:

photobucket-6418-1366668545440.jpg

Pork loin:

Sliced.jpg

Pork butt:

photobucket-4188-1366659365107.jpg

A beef brisket:

dbfe0ff7-7217-4275-94da-b65a21460bd4.jpg

Or even some lamb ribs (honestly, these tasted great but - as you might expect - got a little dry) :

LambRibs.jpg

Whatever I do will get one or another of the dry rubs I have come up with over the years but I still have to decide whether to just make one of my homemade sauces or go ahead and make two or three, different ones:

photobucket-5783-1341503657710.jpg

Decisions, decisions.

Edited by JAB
  • Like 2

If you are going to fire it up, do a load...

[URL=http://s4.photobucket.com/user/worriedman/media/Butts_zps0d54e3f6.jpg.html]Butts_zps0d54e3f6.jpg[/URL]

[URL=http://s4.photobucket.com/user/worriedman/media/Readytopull_zps44f3b8c1.jpg.html]Readytopull_zps44f3b8c1.jpg[/URL]

[URL=http://s4.photobucket.com/user/worriedman/media/pulledpork_zps7d2d1739.jpg.html]pulledpork_zps7d2d1739.jpg[/URL]

• Like 1

So I know it's a sin but I have a gas grill. Is is still possible to get good results on ribs via gas? If so, how long should they stay on?

I'm just venturing into the world of grilling(just bought by first house) but so far I've had great results with NY Strips, burgers, and chicken. I'd like to attempt ribs next.

If you are going to fire it up, do a load...

Honestly, when I can find good prices on meat I usually do 'load it up' when I am firing the smoker.  Seems a shame to use that much wood for just one or two pieces of meat.  My smoker is not all that big but it will hold (for instance) two full racks of ribs, a smallish brisket and a few chicken breasts, all at once - maybe with room to smoke a sausage or two.  I don't always load it that full (although I sometimes do) but I do usually try to do 'extra' while I am at it.

I usually freeze the extra for later but the next time I smoke a goodly amount of meat I am considering canning it.  I have canned soups, stews and chili with meat in them, before, and they were just as good a year later as when they were first canned.  I have also been reading articles about canning meat without it being part of a stew, etc.  I am thinking that some pulled or sliced pork - with a lot of the fat removed - would be a good candidate as I would fill the jar about 3/4 of the way full then top off with my homemade barbecue sauce to about 1 inch from the top.  That way, not only would the flavor of the sauce and the meat be allowed to mingle but the tomato and vinegar in the sauce I make should help with preservation, as well.

I am also thinking that I might even can some whole (skinless, boneless) smoked chicken breasts.  For those, I'd probably use either 'store-bought' chicken broth or my homemade mustard based barbecue sauce (I don't generally like mustard based sauces but finally came up with one that I do like - and it is really good on chicken.)  Maybe I'll try some of both.

I don't think I would fool with canning ribs as the bone would take up a lot of space and probably speed spoilage - and I don't really see the point of canning rib meat off the bone.  I have thought about smoking some (again, store-bought) sausage like kielbasa or something to can.  We'll see if I get motivated enough to actually go through with any of this, though.

If I do can some of the meat, I am thinking more toward having a quick and easy way to bring portion-sized amounts to work than for 'prepping'.  That doesn't mean it couldn't be used in more of a 'prepping' sense, too, if the need arises. 

So I know it's a sin but I have a gas grill. Is is still possible to get good results on ribs via gas? If so, how long should they stay on?

I'm just venturing into the world of grilling(just bought by first house) but so far I've had great results with NY Strips, burgers, and chicken. I'd like to attempt ribs next.

Can you have good ribs from a gas grill?  Absolutely.  They may not, technically, be true 'barbecue' ribs (as in low and slow smoked) but you can still get delicious results.  Look into getting a smoker box for your gas grill.  Basically, that is a small, metal box - usually stainless steel - with holes in the sides.  You soak wood chips, place them in the box then put the box on the smoker (usually under the cooking grate, on the burners but your grill may vary.)  This won't get you that deep, smoky flavor you would get from an offset smoker using wood but you will get a nice 'smokey' note to the flavor.  You can do 'low and slow-ish' on a gas grill by using indirect cooking - as in light the burner in one end of the grill and cook on the other.  Of course, that method can use more gas than direct cooking.

There is a guy named Steven Raichlen who has a couple of shows on PBS (around here he is on the Create channel which is PBS 3 on broadcast television.)  His shows are 'Barbecue University' and 'Primal Grill'.  He uses smokers, charcoal grills and gas grills on his show (he has one charcoal grill with a cooking grate so big that it almost looks like an adult of average height could comfortable stretch out on.)

Raichlen did a show, once, where he cooked some delicious looking ribs on a gas grill.  He pointed out that, while not 'smoked', they would still be very good.  I can't remember for sure if he did a rub, a marinate or a mopping sauce but he threaded the ribs onto the skewer for an electric rotisserie attachment for the gas grill (these can be purchased separately from the grill), removed the cooking grates, put aluminum drip pans under the ribs and let 'er rip.  Sorry I can't remember more details but maybe you can find the recipe on the 'Net.

I certainly do not 'dis' gas grills.  In fact, I have a small, cheapo charcoal grill from Walmart, a decent gas grill and a decent offset smoker all lined up beside each other.  The gas grill gives a good, grilled flavor in a format that is quick, easy and convenient.  The charcoal grill gives a flavor that I prefer, somewhat, but is more of a mess and hassle to fool with.  The smoker is for when I really have plenty of time and is a slightly different animal from grilling.

Heck, to be completely honest for a few years my 'main' grill was a $20 'portable' unit that ran on the small propane bottles like are used for lanterns, etc.  Because that grill used reusable, ceramic 'charcoal briquettes', it actually gave a nice flavor.

Edited by JAB

The problem is in getting a good smoke flavor and bark on the meet. I use a gas smoker and it works real well,

You can certainly use the gas grill, but the smoke will not happen.

I've tried setting wood chips in aluminum pans and foil packets right od the flame diffuser. The problem is that if you get the grill hot enough to make adequate smoke it' gonna be too hot for the meat.

The problem is that if you get the grill hot enough to make adequate smoke it' gonna be too hot for the meat.

True.  I think that, because the chips are usually smoked when using that method, you are actually getting more of a wood 'steam' that a smoke until right at the very end when the chips dry out and ignite, a little.

As you say, getting 'bark' probably isn't going to happen.  Not without burning the mean, anyhow.

Edited by JAB

True.  I think that, because the chips are usually smoked when using that method, you are actually getting more of a wood 'steam' that a smoke until right at the very end when the chips dry out and ignite, a little.

As you say, getting 'bark' probably isn't going to happen.  Not without burning the mean, anyhow.

That doesn't mean you can "low and slow" a nice piece of meat or rack of ribs on the grill though.