North American Arms

Scradoozy

Guest Aces&8s

I have been looking at these lately as well.  Does anyone have one of the holster grip versions?  It looks like a good idea in theory, but I wonder how good it is in execution...

There are several youtube vids dealing with the folding grip version. I looked at the folding grip versions and did NOT like the deployment method. I went with the black widow model with the 2" barrel and the over-sized rubber grips. It works perfectly with a good quality holster (see my above post).

The first NAA 22 LR that I had, had the folding holster grips --- didn't like them at all.  Might have just been the one I had, but there was a lot of "play" when used as a grip.  'Course, these ain't target guns anyways, but holding a lil pistol with floppy grips didn't help me hit anything.  And with my hands, I could only get one finger on the birds head grips that came with the gun.  That was ... ... just barely ... ... okay with the 22LR, but it was blamed hard to hold on to with the 22mag.

As noted above, go with the oversized rubber grips --- OR the boot grips (wouldn't mind trying those myself).  Also as noted above, get a decent holster.  Leather has been what works for me.

I have the belt buckle holster for my .22lr and it is cool but a pain in the ass to deploy. I wouldn't rely on the belt buckle as my only backup carry. I also have the cross draw belt holster for my .22mag and carry it on my weak side. With a bit of practice I've learned to deploy it with decent speed using both my right or left hand. My favorite carry option for the NAA is using a modified Uncle Mike's in my back pocket. It resembles a wallet bulge from behind and BG's won't suspect it when they ask for your wallet. Edited by Mykltn
Guest Aces&8s

Thanks guys, I think I will be going with the Black Widow version with the oversized rubber grip...  if I am having to go with my all-else-fails gun, it doesn't make sense to add one more step of having to unfold the grip.

Thanks guys, I think I will be going with the Black Widow version with the oversized rubber grip...  if I am having to go with my all-else-fails gun, it doesn't make sense to add one more step of having to unfold the grip.

I don't think you'll regret it. :up:

By the way, my Black Widow weighs exactly 11.5 oz. when fully loaded with Hornady 45gr FTX Critical Defense and holstered a leather holster (loaded gun weighs 9.5 oz, holster weighs 2 oz). So light you won't even know it's there. Not too shabby for an all-stainless steel firearm.

Edited by tartanphantom
Guest The Itis

Question for the NAA owners here- if at the time you were making your purchase, there was a Heizer Doubletap as an option, which would you go with?

5 round SA of 22

or

2 round DA of 45ACP

Question for the NAA owners here- if at the time you were making your purchase, there was a Heizer Doubletap as an option, which would you go with?

5 round SA of 22

or

2 round DA of 45ACP

With the NAA -- 22 mag.  Most of the firearms I own could be bought, and I would find a replacement.  The NAA -- well, it would have to be another NAA.  Goes everywhere I go, even when the bigger and better have to stay home.

• Like 1

5 round SA of 22

or

2 round DA of 45ACP

NAA, no doubt.  Sure there is a little difference in the shape/style but there have been 2 shot 'Derringer' style guns for years but the minis still sell hand over fist.

One reason I prefer the .22 WMR mini over a centerfire in the niche for which I use the NAA is the lessened recoil of the mini while still maintaining a small package.  I have a Kel Tec P3AT that works well for a deep concealed primary, sometimes, but I do not like it as a BUG.  If I carry a BUG it is carried to be easily accessible to my off hand.  To me, that means if I am using the BUG then my strong hand is either occupied or incapacitated.  I can fire the P3AT one handed with my weak hand but it jumps around a bit and I always have to adjust my grip quite a bit after each shot.  I doubt my 642 (my go-to for a primary pocket gun) would be any better.  With the mini, however - especially with the oversized rubber grips I put on it - such concerns are kept to a minimum.

I will say that ammo selection is imperative with these little dudes.  Mine is the 1 5/8 inch model (I have only the Magnum cylinder) and I have very informally (water jug) 'tested' several different ammo brands/types from it.  I was honestly a bit disappointed in the Hornady Critical Defense version.  The Speer Gold Dot version, while not as accurate from a few yards out as some others, performed wonderfully, appeared to 'dump' more energy, expanded perfectly all while giving decent penetration.

Strangely, the ugly, cheap WInchester Dynapoint load (which is a bit 'downloaded' compared to other WMR loads to more closely mimic the old WRF load) gave the best penetration of anything I tested.  Some pics so it really happened:

Expanded-TopView.jpg

Expanded-SideView.jpg

This was the first jug in the line for the Gold Dot test.  I know it doesn't really compare to human flesh but I was impressed by how much it split the jug open - hence my comment about how it appears to 'dump' a good bit of energy.

FirstJugSplit.jpg

Compare that to the Critical Defense which 'expanded' poorly (if you even consider that to really be expansion) and didn't penetrate any better than, if as well as, the Gold Dot:

photobucket-3395-1330963525727.jpg

photobucket-3810-1330963515219.jpg

The Critical Defense did well out of the 6 inch barrel of my Heritage Rough Rider.  It expanded as expected and penetrated as well as (maybe slightly better than) the Gold Dot from that platform.  I just believe, from my informal results, that the Gold Dot is more optimized for snubbie/truly short barrels.

Oh, and the Dynapoint:

S5004474.jpg

Penetrated five one-gallon jugs filled with water and made a hole in the sixth.  None too shabby for any handgun, especially a tiny rimfire, IMO.  Of course, there was no, real expansion - maybe just a little deforming of the bullet.  I have to wonder if being a slightly heavier bullet (45 grains) along with not expanding helped penetration.  I will say that there didn't appear to have been any 'tumbling' as the Dynapoint seemed to have taken an almost laser-straight path through the jugs.  I was a lot more accurate with the Dynapoint from seven yards out firing weak hand only than with the Gold Dot, though (the Gold Dot was responsible for the target in the top pic):

7YardsTarget.jpg

S5004476.jpg

Thinking that a heavier bullet might be better, I had high hopes for the Federal Game-Shok (50 grain) round.  I guess it is just too heavy (or maybe long, etc.) for such a short barrel, though, because it gave such a 'rainbow' trajectory that it came out near the bottom of the first jug and barely clipped the bottom edge of the second. 

The accuracy issue caused me to go back and forth on carrying the Gold Dot in the NAA but I finally came to the conclusion that even seven yards is probably a lot further than I would be using the mini 'for real'.  After some deliberation, I currently have the mini loaded up with Gold Dot.

Now, for the bonus round.  I have also tested WMR shotshells from the mini using a rolled up piece of newspaper to simulate a no-legged threat in order to find out just how much perforating potential there is.  The pics show the results of a single shot from about five feet away with the newspaper lying on the ground:

IMG00067-20100617-2019.jpg

IMG00066-20100617-2019.jpg

IMG00068-20100617-2019.jpg

In case it isn't obvious, yes, I am a fan of the NAA (within certain usage parameters.)  In fact, I am actually a fan of the .22 WMR, in general.

Edited by JAB
  • Like 1

Naa, no doubt.  Sure there is a little difference in the shape/style but there have been 2 shot 'Derringer' style guns for years but the minis still sell hand over fist.

One reason I prefer the .22 WMR mini over a centerfire in the niche for which I use the NAA is the lessened recoil of the mini while still maintaining a small package.  I have a Kel Tec P3AT that works well for a deep concealed primary, sometimes, but I do not like it as a BUG.  If I carry a BUG it is carried to be easily accessible to my off hand.  To me, that means if I am using the BUG then my strong hand is either occupied or incapacitated.  I can fire the P3AT one handed with my weak hand but it jumps around a bit and I always have to adjust my grip quite a bit after each shot.  I doubt my 642 (my go-to for a primary pocket gun) would be any better.  With the mini, however - especially with the oversized rubber grips I put on it - such concerns are kept to a minimum.

I will say that ammo selection is imperative with these little dudes.  Mine is the 1 5/8 inch model (I have only the Magnum cylinder) and I have very informally (water jug) 'tested' several different ammo brands/types from it.  I was honestly a bit disappointed in the Hornady Critical Defense version.  The Speer Gold Dot version, while not as accurate from a few yards out as some others, performed wonderfully, appeared to 'dump' more energy, expanded perfectly all while giving decent penetration.

Strangely, the ugly, cheap WInchester Dynapoint load (which is a bit 'downloaded' compared to other WMR loads to more closely mimic the old WRF load) gave the best penetration of anything I tested.  Some pics so it really happened:

Expanded-TopView.jpg

Expanded-SideView.jpg

This was the first jug in the line for the Gold Dot test.  I know it doesn't really compare to human flesh but I was impressed by how much it split the jug open - hence my comment about how it appears to 'dump' a good bit of energy.

FirstJugSplit.jpg

Compare that to the Critical Defense which 'expanded' poorly (if you even consider that to really be expansion) and didn't penetrate any better than, if as well as, the Gold Dot:

photobucket-3395-1330963525727.jpg

photobucket-3810-1330963515219.jpg

The Critical Defense did well out of the 6 inch barrel of my Heritage Rough Rider.  It expanded as expected and penetrated as well as (maybe slightly better than) the Gold Dot from that platform.  I just believe, from my informal results, that the Gold Dot is more optimized for snubbie/truly short barrels.

Oh, and the Dynapoint:

S5004474.jpg

Penetrated five one-gallon jugs filled with water and made a hole in the sixth.  None too shabby for any handgun, especially a tiny rimfire, IMO.  Of course, there was no, real expansion - maybe just a little deforming of the bullet.  I have to wonder if being a slightly heavier bullet (45 grains) along with not expanding helped penetration.  I will say that there didn't appear to have been any 'tumbling' as the Dynapoint seemed to have taken an almost laser-straight path through the jugs.  I was a lot more accurate with the Dynapoint from seven yards out firing weak hand only than with the Gold Dot, though (the Gold Dot was responsible for the target in the top pic):

7YardsTarget.jpg

S5004476.jpg

Thinking that a heavier bullet might be better, I had high hopes for the Federal Game-Shok (50 grain) round.  I guess it is just too heavy (or maybe long, etc.) for such a short barrel, though, because it gave such a 'rainbow' trajectory that it came out near the bottom of the first jug and barely clipped the bottom edge of the second. 

The accuracy issue caused me to go back and forth on carrying the Gold Dot in the NAA but I finally came to the conclusion that even seven yards is probably a lot further than I would be using the mini 'for real'.  After some deliberation, I currently have the mini loaded up with Gold Dot.

Now, for the bonus round.  I have also tested WMR shotshells from the mini using a rolled up piece of newspaper to simulate a no-legged threat in order to find out just how much perforating potential there is.  The pics show the results of a single shot from about five feet away with the newspaper lying on the ground:

IMG00067-20100617-2019.jpg

IMG00066-20100617-2019.jpg

IMG00068-20100617-2019.jpg

In case it isn't obvious, yes, I am a fan of the NAA (within certain usage parameters.)  In fact, I am actually a fan of the .22 WMR, in general.

Thanks for posting this-- I've had better luck than you with the Hornady expanding properly. And yes, I've also tried the Dynapoint-- which is usually what I shoot at the range with this pistol. My experience has been satisfactory expansion with the Hornady-- maybe I got a "good batch", or perhaps I have better expansion results due to the longer 2" barrel on my Black Widow.

For me, the Winchester Dynapoint has little to no expansion at all, but superior penetration.

I haven't tried the Speer yet, but have read good things about it in these little guns.

Edited by tartanphantom
Guest Aces&8s

Well, you know what they say about "the best laid plans" and all that...  I had pretty much decided on the Black Widow, but upon fondling, er, I mean handling a couple of NAA minis at my LGS, I ended up going with the .22 WMR Mini Mag with 1.125" barrel.  Just something about the look of that gun with the beautiful wood grips sold me on it, as well as the fact that I can hide it anywhere.  I put half a box of Remington 40 gr. FMJ through it and I have to say this is one excellent little revolver.  The sights (well, sight, as there is a front blade and just the hint of a rear notch) being what they are, the first few shots were off the mark, but once I became accustomed to the little gun, I was able to get all five shots inside a five inch circle at twenty or so feet.  I was skeptical when I read reports of people hitting pie plates at 25 yards with these guns, but having now shot one, I am convinced that if the shooter does his/her part, the NAA will hold up its end of the deal.  But man is this thing LOUD!  One should always use hearing protection, but when shooting this little magnum, it is more than just a good idea.

I am pleased with my purchase, and think it will make a nice back-up to my S&W Model 60.  Now I just need a nice set of rosewood grips on my Smith so they will match!

Aces&8s, it IS a purty lil thang, ain't it?  Shoots good, too, if it's as good as mine.

But ... ... ... but ... ... you can HIT with it at 20 feet????? Now I'm feeling old and decrepit.  I can hit what I aim at, out to 7 or 8 feet.  That's it.

And practice HAS NOT improved my abilities past that point.  Obviously, it's me ... ... ... ...

Dang it, think I'll have to try again.

Guest Aces&8s

But ... ... ... but ... ... you can HIT with it at 20 feet????? 

Yes, but it took me a half a box of shells to get there.  The first cylinder or two, I only got three hits total.  And I was certainly not shooting for speed, but taking my time with each shot.  Believe me, I have no such expectations of that kind of accuracy in the heat of the moment...  under stress, I might not be able to hit a car at that distance, much less a person.  I was just trying to see how accurate the gun would be under optimal circumstances.  In my own reality, based on my own skill set and experience, under actual duress, this gun would be a nose-picker, plain and simple.  But up close is what it is meant for, and I am OK with that.