The director of TN Sheriff's Association is an embarassment to TNs 2nd Amend.

Guest SheepDog10

Guest SheepDog10
First, I know this is about knives but the Second Amendment did not specify that only firearms were "Arms".  "Arms" are weapons, be it guns, knives, clubs, brass knuckles, ect...  It is rediculous that restrictions be placed on knives when we can carry guns.

SB1015/HB0581 originally included language to repeal the Tennessee ban on switchblade knives and knives over 4-inches long, as well as enact Knife Law Preemption. It passed the Senate overwhelmingly, but was amended in the House after a last minute hyperbolic misinformation campaign in opposition to those repeal portions of the bill by the Tennessee Sheriff's Association.

Testimony by their executive director, Terry Ashe, included such outlandish remarks about switchblades as being intimidating because, "it even sounds like a shotgun rack, if you want to get right down to it."

Well, I finally wrote to Terry Ashe about his comment concerning switchblades open fast and that "it even sounds like a shotgun racking when you get right down to it".

This is a copy of our communication:

Me: Mr. Ashe,

I want to commend you on your stand against the legalization of switchblades in Tennessee.

I agree that the intimidating sound of a switchblade can strike fear in the hearts of anyone within earshot. There was an incident in which I almost shot a man standing behind me when I hear what I thought was a switchblade or shotgun being racked. Luckily, I saw that he had opened a Zippo lighter before pulling the trigger. I request your assistance in the ban of items due to their sound may be confused with such a terrible weapon as a switchblade.

Items that should be banned are: Zippo lighters, rubber bands and flip open cell phones. I am sure there are other items that have a similar sound but I can't think of them at this time. Please continue to seek the protection of TN residence from sounds.

You may want to check the batteries of your hearing aid if you truly think a knife opening sounds like a shotgun being racked.

The use of automatic knives are allowed for EMS, LEO and military personnel. Why is such an intimidating item allowed for these personnel and not for other law abiding citizens of TN?

You are a true embarrassment to law enforcement of TN.

His reply: Thank you for being someone who has never protected the streets of your community it is a hard job but thanks to so many brave Americans we can all have a thought on the process I spent 42 years protecting the citizens of my county I wrote the Tennessee handgun permit law please get your facts straight before you attach me I served my country in Vietnam 67-68 but thank you for your uneducated response God Bless our country Randy please feel free to call me..

Feel free to send my response to anyone you like such as the highway patrol police association wildlife etc. someday I hope you don't fine yourself in the dark trying to figure it all out thanks for your concerns don't have hearing aids but may need glasses

Sheriff Terry Ashe, (Ret.)
Executive Director
Tennessee Sheriffs' Association
704 Cadet Court • Lebanon, TN 37087
(615) 547-0277 Phone
(615) 547-0278 Fax
(615) 306-8136 Cell
terryashe@tnsheriffs.com
www.tnsheriffs.com

I may have poked the hornet's nest, but I couldn't resist.

In all honesty I  think Terry Ashe is becoming bored with his job as he has been holding that position for many years and just thought he needed more attention. I have had a couple occasions to meet the gentleman and even though he is a generally a nice guy that is about all I can say about him............ :2cents: :2cents:

Yeh, your letter might have been a little less sarcastic, but I get and agree with its content. I might have written

something like this:

Sheriff Ashe,

I appreciate your concern about protecting the people and your desire to restrict some items from the populace,

but wouldn't it be a better course to restrict those items from criminals, and not law abiding citizens, who have no

other desire than to protect themselves? I won't address the subject of similar noises, but I imagine that comment

comes from your years of experience and having been in situations that may have jarred your memory. However,

when have you ever been threatened by a law abiding citizen with a switchblade? Using the argument of the gun

being the enemy, rather than the person pulling the trigger as the enemy, wouldn't you rather the populace have

access to their own protection while waiting for a Sheriff's deputy to show up? The gun or knife may be the only

decision maker whether or not someone survives some kind of criminal attack.

Studies are freely available, nowadays, that show an armed populace reduces the threat of all violent crime. There

are even studies that show worldwide, that an armed populace reduces that threat. With all due respect, I would rather

have some kind of defense prepared for myself than have to wait on any law enforcement officer because it takes

a precious commodity called time, when I may not have that luxury.

If you mean to keep weapons, like knives and other things like guns, focus on the criminal, but punishing me does no

good, except make me into a criminal, and that is something I resent. Not everyone is a bad guy.

Please reconsider your opinion.

I just sent that. Sometimes honey works. Vinegar usually never does.

Edited by 6.8 AR
Guest Bonedaddy

That's a pretty damn lame response by him. Seems clueless on how to respond to a sarcastic attack on his idiocy. Par for the course, I reckon. I don't know 'bout ya'll's thoughts but TN seems to be slowly headin' in the wrong direction with the current powers that be.

I doubt we're heading in the wrong direction, but we do have our share of condescending people in positions of power.

We just need to work a little harder on our campaign against them.

I was in line at the bank, absently clicking my ball-point pen, and was suddenly thrown on the floor and cuffed by a whole platoon of retired middle TN sheriffs! Then they kept my checkbook for evidence!! The account hasn't balanced since.  :rant:

Edited by R_Bert
  • Like 1
Guest SheepDog10
6.8 AR, I didn't know anything about Terry Ashe before writing him but upon researching him, I have found numerous accounts of corruption.

Google "corruption Terry Ashe sheriff".

I have stories of his connection to the "Hillbilly Mafia". Murder of a man that was married to his future wife. Trying to pay off a family whose 17 yr old daughter had had sex with a detective while in jail and then beaten when she said she was going to tell.

This is the kind of sheriff that worked with the former TN Governor, Leonard Ray Blanton. The crook who sold pardons to 52 inmates,including 20 convicted of murder.

I don't feel that respect or reason is something he deserves.

I know, but I just thought it might add a little balance. No criticism intended. Tell you the truth, I've never heard of him.

Now, if he was connected to Ray Blanton, that tells a lot. He was an embarrassment to the state.

Guest SheepDog10

I know, but I just thought it might add a little balance. No criticism intended. Tell you the truth, I've never heard of him.

Now, if he was connected to Ray Blanton, that tells a lot. He was an embarrassment to the state.

Not a problem, I agree with you on arguing with reasonable and sensible points. It was just his ridiculous comment that I wanted to respond with equal ridiculousness.

Yes, a sarcastic letter can and will receive an equal response, but what is interesting most Sheriffs support gun ownership. Why? because they are elected by the "non-city folk" whereas a PD Chief dance to the tune of the "city folk" and hired by Mayors.

Not to knock the state of IL, but their laws appear to be influenced by population density of Chicago and other large metro areas. Poll the folks who live in the country...

Regarding Mr. Ashe: 42 years as an LEO, retired now for how long? When was the last time he was on the beat? Times have changed and I daresay he doesn't accurately represent the sheriff's of TN.

Cut him some slack, racking a shotgun is terrifying to any and all who hear it and causes paralysis and/or "flight"

• Like 1

Guys we have it better than you think. The county that my F-I-L lives in in Michigan you can't carry any folding knife. Yes MI has open carry without a permit, but knife laws go county to county. Awww, and on top of that, you can carry a 9 inch fixed blade knife without a problem.