TN Handgun Carry Permit Qualifying Targets.

JohnC

Each picture is 10 rounds, so first is 10, second 20 and so on up to 50 (if I snapped all the pics right).

Glock 21 Gen4 45 ACP.

6avure2a.jpg

ymejatu9.jpg

aha7atuq.jpg

nusyrype.jpg

zy9esuha.jpg

Close up of the final with 50 rounds. I didn't care on the last set of 10 and just shot them off quicker, so the spread opened up a bit.

hypanyza.jpg

Needless to day, I passed the course with flying colors! :w00t:

And don't mess with my wife. She held tighter groups with a small 45 compact carry gun.

Springfield XDs 3.3 45 ACP.

dyda5e3y.jpg

It was only my second 3rd time shooting the Glock and her 2nd time shooting the XDs 45 3.3. :up:

• Like 1

When I got my permit in 2006 I wasn't allowed to group like that. I had to purposefully spread them out so that each round could be counted and verified that it hit the target.

During my class, i watched a guy dump 10 rounds in the wood next to the target and he passed with a perfect score because the instructor didn't catch it.

Then again, my instructor also told us to "try shooting ghettos style". I was floored by it. Seems like he could be in some serious poo-doo if someone caught him doing that.

Guest TresOsos

I did my qualification with the local (Sumner County) Sherriff's Department back before the current system,94-95 time frame.

They did not like perfect scores and advised against shooting one, so I qualified with a S&W J-Frame  and a Colt Combat Commander, shot

a deliberate 98 % with each one. You also had to purchase an insurance (personal laibility) policy back then too as well as qualify with

each gun you were going to carry. Things are much more lenient now days.

Oh and good shooting by both of you.

Edited by TresOsos

My last 10 rounds tripled the size of my grouping due to boredom as well, and still a 98. :snore:   I think if you don't shoot yourself or someone else you pass.  There was one person, had I been the instructor, I would have confiscated their pistol--yet EVERYONE passed.  It is better than AL where you send in a completed form and a check.  Two of my AL permit holder friends took the TN course because they thought it the right thing to do.

Good work!

I took my test with my old P22... ended up with about a 3" cluster, with the middle 1.5" or so completely gone... he just wrote 48/48, 100% and went on to the one. No mention of not liking 100%, or scattering about the page to count. From his smile I think he appreciated my target, as it meant there was no work involved in grading it!

I did my qualification with the local (Sumner County) Sherriff's Department back before the current system,94-95 time frame.

They did not like perfect scores and advised against shooting one, so I qualified with a S&W J-Frame  and a Colt Combat Commander, shot

a deliberate 98 % with each one. You also had to purchase an insurance (personal laibility) policy back then too as well as qualify with

each gun you were going to carry. Things are much more lenient now days.

Oh and good shooting by both of you.

That's why I didn't get mine right off the bat. 

Good shootin'.  Both of you.

I used my S&W 22A and a box of Winchester Wildcat ammo to qualify.  In the qualification portion of the class I took, the instructor told us that anything in the black counts.  We shot six shots at a time at each distance (meaning that we shot some distances twice, but not back to back.)  For one of the 'instructor's choice' distances, he told us to put the target anywhere we wanted.  At that point, I realized that I could miss all five of those shots and still pass so while everyone else brought their targets in close, I ran mine all the way out to 25 yards (max distance at that shooting range.) 

When we finished, the instructor told us to count up all of our 'hits' that were in the black.  He then walked by me and said, "Don't bother counting.  You obvously passed."

I used the 22A because I didn't really know what to expect or how difficult the range qualification would be (I took the class before finding this site and didn't really have anyone I could ask about how difficult it was, at the time.)  I used the Wildcat ammo because it was just about the most inexpensive thing I could get ahold of at the time.  I now almost wish I had used a larger caliber gun because - while there were a bunch of nice, little holes in the target - a bigger gun (9mm, etc.) would probably have left one, big, ragged hole.  I almost managed to achieve that effect in the X ring, anyhow, before deciding I had better start shooting a bigger group so my shots could be counted easier (didn't know at the time that the instructor was just going to look at it and say, "You passed."

I am glad to see that I am not the only 'gun nerd' who took a pic of his target.  I don't consider myself to be all that great a shot.  Decent, yeah.  Sometimes maybe even 'pretty good' if I am having a particularly good day.  If I had needed some humbling in my opinion of my shooting skills there was something that would have done that real quick like.  Our instructor had a couple of targets he had shot in competition tacked up on the wall of the room where we took the classroom portion.  IIRC, they were from one of his competition matches (can't remember which organization/competition it was.)  The same type of target as we used for qualifying but all his shots were from 25 yards with a .45 and there was just one, big hole where the two, inner rings (X ring and the one right outside of it) should have been. 

Anyhow, fwiw, here's a pic of mine:

PermitClassTarget.jpg

Edited by JAB
  • 2 weeks later...

I took mine Saturday and was bound and determined to do it with my 3" S&W M13. Of 20+ in the class only two of us were shooting revolvers. When the instructor brought out the targets I was a little worried and almost chickened out and used my 22 semi-auto. I had shot a couple of practice targets the day before but they were full sized B-27. The class targets were reduced size B-27 that are almost %50 the size of a regular B-27. That thing look right small sitting there in the classroom and even smaller out at 11 yrds. I'm glad I stuck with the DA revolver though. I was quite happy to be able to "hang" with the semi-autos :)

The pace of the shooting was pretty quick and by the last couple of rounds at 11yrds I was not as focused and let a few wander out there. We shot 100 rounds in less than 30 minutes. Shoot and reload and shoot again. There were a couple of times I thought that the guy next to me had shot my target, but it was just the ventilation system coming on and blowing the target.

[url=http://s213.photobucket.com/user/madavis5/media/ccwtarget.jpg.html]ccwtarget.jpg[/URL]

Edited by 1madss