Finally joined the 1911 club!!!

MPGlock

Ok, so after years of being a Glock guy, finally broke down and bought a 1911, namely a Colt Rail Gun. Just looking for a little advice on the do's and dont's for these. Already got the Wilson Combat mags as I heard from more than one of my fellow TGO's that the factory mags are crap. Any other advice (ammo selection that you've had luck with, recoil springs etc) would be greatly appreciated by the newbie!!
  • Replies 19
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest Bassman17SC

1. For the first 500 rounds or so, use FMJ ("round ball") ammo for the break-in.  Keep in mind, the 1911 was originally designed to use this type of ammo.  I've used pretty much all American made 230 gr. FMJs (WWB, PMC, Remington, Blazer Brass, etc.) with good results.  However, whatever you do, DO NOT USE FEDERAL WHITE BOX.  It is crap.  Or, as least the box that was foisted on me the last time I went to the range.  The box had several rounds that had a bullet setback and all of them looked like they were not crimped correctly.  Caused several FTFs for the first time in my EB Special Forces since I bought it 1 1/2 years ago.  FWB is awful ammo, IMHO.

2. Clean and lube after each range session.  They do like to run wet.

3. Learn how to reassemble properly so that you do not get an "idiot mark" when re-inserting the slide stop.  Upwards and inwards is the key.

4. Your WC mags should do fine.  I've never had any issues with them in my 1911s.

5. As far as your recoil springs, I would advise to follow the manufacturer's recommendations.

6. The most important advice - go shoot it!

Congratulations on your new 1911.  And a Colt at that.

Welcome to the asylum, friend. As with the rest of the inmates here, I congratulate you for your First, and probably of several more to come.

It seems to be the rare person who can and does have only 1 1911.

They truly are addictive.

My recommendation, start saving now.

And get one in 9mm.

They are awesome.

Thanks hipower!! Definitely think the fever will hit. BTW, did you ever get to shoot those .357 sig rounds I gave you? Glad they went to someone who could use them!

Pardon me. I clean forgot to tell you.

Got rid of the G32 in a trade, but got a 357 sig barrel for one of my XD pistols. Took it out to a friend of my brother-in-laws farm and really tore up an old tv. Actually didn't take more than a few rounds.

Of course the first shot totaled the screen and tube, but it was satisfying to run a few rounds thru the chassis as well. To make it a bit more sporting, we were shooting at 50 yards, and since I can barely see that far; it was a lot of fun.

For me, the best thing about the 357 round is that satisfying boom and visible flame in the evening. Does kinda play havoc with the night vision though.

My thanks again for them.

the default recoil spring should be fine for the "occasional" defensive load and tons of typical practice ammo.  If you want to shoot only defense ammo, get  a stronger spring.  If you want to shoot only low recoil self-loaded competition accuracy ammo, get a lighter recoil spring.   I am not aware of anywhere that you could purchase the light target ammo that would require a lighter spring (???)  -- surely someone sells it, but most folks roll their own...

When he says lube it and make it wet ... the barrel needs some lube (thin!) as it slides thru the bushing and the recoil spring slides on the underside of the barrel, the slide hits it on the top...  I just coat my entire barrel in a thin lube (er, outside only, lube inside is an obstruction and stuff).