Medical kits

This is my entire medical kit. I keep the basics in my blowout kit, and the bigger stuff like the suture kits and IV setup in an old school medics bag. How medically prepared are you? Is it a major part of your preps or are you more of a tylenol and bandaids kinda guy? I like to keep a very substantial kit on hand. Right now I have 2 different saline solution bags, 3 different iv catheters and the hose setup, several CAT tourniquets, all different kinds of bandages from izzys to the big trauma bandages, several suture kits. I also have antibiotics on order from a vet supply house and the conversion charts printed off and laminated. So how prepared are you medically? And everything here was acquired legally, nothing shady, and I do have proper training on how to use the stuff pictured here.

Posted Image

Tapatalk ate my spelling.

• Like 1
Much more than that. And thankfully because I had to use an Israeli bandage the other day from a ricochet. Punched a whole in my buddies chest and hit a rib and bounced out. I'll never have enough medical stuff. Because you'll always use it. Period.

Much more than that. And thankfully because I had to use an Israeli bandage the other day from a ricochet. Punched a whole in my buddies chest and hit a rib and bounced out. I'll never have enough medical stuff. Because you'll always use it. Period.

This is very true. Sorry to hear about your friend btw. And yeah I am slowly stocking up. The hardest stuff to get is the iv stuff, and suture kits right now. I have been putting back as many of each kind bandage as I can afford at a time. I snapped this pic when I was repacking my truck gear including the medical kit and my blowout kit on my rig. I have other stuff catorgerized and stored. Where do you normally order from?

Excellent topic Spots.

I have an expansive setup with redundancies. But I've been in the field for 40 years now.

A couple of places that carry a broad expanse of gear (medical supplies) that I've done business with for a number of years are linked below.

Good folks, quality gear, and excellent customer service.

[url=http://www.chinookmed.com/] Chinook Med[/url]

[url=http://www.gohandh.com/] H&H[/url]

[url=https://www.mooremedical.com/] Moore Medical[/url]

UncleJack has a good idea. Have the gear, and have a friend that can appropriately, and safely, use it.

Better still, as 173rd and Spots mentioned...gain the knowledge and skill yourself. It's not that complicated to obtain the foundation to build on...and knowledge and skill will last much longer than your supplies in a SHTF scenario.

I think most folks that haven't been in a position to utilize the supplies don't realize how rapidly they will be used up.

With knowledge and skill you'll be in a better position to safely improvise when you must.

Thanks for bringing up a necessary and timely topic. :up:

Where do you normally order from?

I get mine from work when I actually go (Afghanistan), and my buddy just started up a company selling blow out kits for personal body armor. So, since I sort of quit my job I plan on using him as my primary supplier now. I stocked up good from the Army as well when I was in. We had a massive abundance of things and it was either we take it, or it was getting tossed when we left our first deployment. Got pretty lucky honestly. 

I'm going to PM you, hope you don't mind pictures of what I was talking about earlier. 

This is my entire medical kit. I keep the basics in my blowout kit, and the bigger stuff like the suture kits and IV setup in an old school medics bag. How medically prepared are you? Is it a major part of your preps or are you more of a tylenol and bandaids kinda guy? I like to keep a very substantial kit on hand. Right now I have 2 different saline solution bags, 3 different iv catheters and the hose setup, several CAT tourniquets, all different kinds of bandages from izzys to the big trauma bandages, several suture kits. I also have antibiotics on order from a vet supply house and the conversion charts printed off and laminated. So how prepared are you medically? And everything here was acquired legally, nothing shady, and I do have proper training on how to use the stuff pictured here.

20131006_205239_zps66d4d040.jpg spots do you have a list of items , it would be cool if ya could have one of your get togethers maybe also have some other TGO's that know how to implement and use this stuff and teach us guys that don't maybe like a class , I would come , I would very mutch want to learn .

Edited by ted

You've never had one? Man, I can't even tell you how many times I've had one. Best training there is, is actually doing it. I have a funny video of my squad bored in Germany on a training rotation and I put it up my grenadiers nose, and had to stop. He kept yelling "its going in my brain!!" and after it was pulled out it was all bloody. Thats when you know your doing something wrong. haha. 

Anyways, best find a buddy and get to it :)

Oh god.... Id rather be waterboarded

I'm sure we could arrange that. :P

Reckon I won't bother to list what I carry. Partly because I don't wanna' get laughed at and partly because most of what I carry is rattling around inside my brain pan. Suffice it to say that I keep things exceedingly simple and most of my "medicines" grow wild.

As a general rule, I don't even carry bandaids, although I've found a tube of superglue to be a handy thing to have. And Tylenol sucks. Acetasalicylic acid (aspirin) is readily found in willow bark and willow bark tea does the job just as good as aspirin does without having to carry an extra container around (granted, it's a little less "handy" than aspirin, but willows grow on creek banks a lot more readily than do Walgreens).

You fellers with the big modern bags and the knowledge to use them impress the hell out of me and I'm glad you do what you do and I hope you keep it up. For me, I guess knowing what part of a cattail to find an anesthetic in, or that spiderwebs make a good coagulant and other silly, outdated, "frontier" type stuff is about all I'm good for.

• Like 1

Reckon I won't bother to list what I carry. Partly because I don't wanna' get laughed at and partly because most of what I carry is rattling around inside my brain pan. Suffice it to say that I keep things exceedingly simple and most of my "medicines" grow wild.

As a general rule, I don't even carry bandaids, although I've found a tube of superglue to be a handy thing to have. And Tylenol sucks. Acetasalicylic acid (aspirin) is readily found in willow bark and willow bark tea does the job just as good as aspirin does without having to carry an extra container around (granted, it's a little less "handy" than aspirin, but willows grow on creek banks a lot more readily than do Walgreens).

You fellers with the big modern bags and the knowledge to use them impress the hell out of me and I'm glad you do what you do and I hope you keep it up. For me, I guess knowing what part of a cattail to find an anesthetic in, or that spiderwebs make a good coagulant and other silly, outdated, "frontier" type stuff is about all I'm good for.

Thats the mind of stuff that impresses the hell out of me. In a shtf situation even the most well stocked medical kit will eventually run out. My old man knows a lot of home remedies and they have been passed on to me. Though I'm sure you have more working knowledgr, especially as accident prone as you are there cowboy. Which frontier remedy did you use for the scrapes and bruises when you and that pretty woman fell of that horse. (Inside joke
)

a lot of my medical training includes natural cures too. If you cannot resupply a med kit, natural cures may be all you have.
On a side note, willow bark tea lasts longer than aspirin for pain relief and fever reduction.

Sent barefoot from the hills of Tennessee

Which frontier remedy did you use for the scrapes and bruises when you and that pretty woman fell of that horse. (Inside joke
)

Uhhhh... SHE was the one who fell off, all I did was get a boot hung up in the stirrup. And I used an orally applied, mutually induced internal salve made from a chronologically enhanced alcoholic distillate made from Zea mays and Hordeum vulgare L. (We shared a bottle of Bourbon.)

On a side note, willow bark tea lasts longer than aspirin for pain relief and fever reduction.

Sent barefoot from the hills of Tennessee

Yep. :up:

My wife is graduating Med School in May, so we are going to have to ammass a good kit for our car.  As a Dr she will be required to offer medical assitance when neccessary.  Plus it will be good for our personal use, God forbid we ever need it.  I need to get working on this.

You fellers with the big modern bags and the knowledge to use them impress the hell out of me and I'm glad you do what you do and I hope you keep it up. For me, I guess knowing what part of a cattail to find

I think it is very very impressive that you have all this knowledge. I wish there were someone around my area I could spend time with to learn these skills.

I have had only basic first aid and CPR training (and that has been a few years back) so I am not trained in the use of the more advanced stuff and don't know of anywhere to get the training without paying an arm and a leg for classes, etc.  For that reason, I have the basics - bandages, quik-clot, antibiotic ointments, a couple tubes of burn ointments (including some stuff that is supposed to prevent MRSA infections), a few of those instant hot packs, instant cold packs and the like.  I do have some skin adhesive that will supposedly do the same work as sutures for a small wound, in a pinch.  If I could get more advanced training at a reasonable price (something like free would be nice) and in a format that would fit in my schedule then I would keep more stuff on-hand.

My impression is that Israeli bandages don't take much in the way of special training to use.  Is that true - and is there a website, etc. that explains how to use them?  Where would one get Israeli bandages (and are they the same thing as compression bandages?)

My impression is that Israeli bandages don't take much in the way of special training to use.  Is that true - and is there a website, etc. that explains how to use them?  Where would one get Israeli bandages (and are they the same thing as compression bandages?)

They are essentially an Ace Wrap with an ADB (abdominal pad) attached. I have a few extras that are open and are used for practice and training.

Info with vid from ITS Tactical

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wMRklQkfDLE

you can purchase them at Chinook Med

Hope this helps.

• Like 1
Guest tdoccrossvilletn
[quote name="JAB" post="1047038" timestamp="1381516430"] I have had only basic first aid and CPR training (and that has been a few years back) so I am not trained in the use of the more advanced stuff and don't know of anywhere to get the training without paying an arm and a leg for classes, etc. For that reason, I have the basics - bandages, quik-clot, antibiotic ointments, a couple tubes of burn ointments (including some stuff that is supposed to prevent MRSA infections), a few of those instant hot packs, instant cold packs and the like. I do have some skin adhesive that will supposedly do the same work as sutures for a small wound, in a pinch. If I could get more advanced training at a reasonable price (something like [b]free[/b] would be nice) and in a format that would fit in my schedule then I would keep more stuff on-hand. My impression is that Israeli bandages don't take much in the way of special training to use. Is that true - and is there a website, etc. that explains how to use them? Where would one get Israeli bandages (and are they the same thing as compression bandages?)[/quote] I'm trained in cpr, first responder first aid, and in the use of an electronic defibrillator. I need me a good first aid kit sometime. Sent from my mind using ninja telepathy. Edited by tdoccrossvilletn

Was in wal-mart today( day off), and they have a one person 3 day survival pack out now for about $35. Which is an ok deal, just i have most of the stuff that comes with their kits already.

Just though you all should know.

My Medical kit could probably be bigger, but i have several small to medium kits which could be combined into one larger kit if needed. I figure having several scattered around when i need them is better than having one and not being able to find it.

• 2 weeks later...