Season 4

Oh Shoot

[quote name="Glenn" post="1116114" timestamp="1393284903"]seems like at least some zombies are partially decomposed. Their faces are rotting off[/quote] Could have to do with how long it's been since they've "turned." I'd imagine that with time the zeds would start to disintegrate to some degree, especially with the lack of "food" that some might be missing. In the past you've seen some zeds that have been tied up to trees and other things that are really thin. I would guess that would mean that the zeds get some sort nutrition from eating humans. Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

The show makes it seem like there's not a lot of people out scavenging, but on the other hand the show is focused on this group only. There have been other groups of survivors introduced throughout the four seasons. Those people have to be scavenging as well. It's not likely that those are the only groups that there are either. So it stands to reason there are more people still alive than just 40 or so. Supply lines stopped running a LONG time ago, so why would shelves be fully stocked? Why wouldn't cupboards be bare a year and a half after the outbreak? If supply lines stop during a weather incident (which I'm sure would be similar to what would happen shortly after a zombie outbreak... Hypothetically of course) and people can nearly clear out the bread and milk from a grocery store in a matter of hours, why would there still be stock in the majority of the homes/stores that they're hitting? Of course it's all make believe and it's more of a plot question than anything else. They have to make a show that will pull viewers in for ratings. I'm sure that ratings dipped while they were at the prison. There were fewer plot turns and they had to reach (imho) for story lines. A group on the run makes for interesting tv as they'll encounter new people and circumstances. Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

this is something Ive thought abourt alot and its where TWD face plants by refusing to discuss how it started (as in did it start in one place or world wide simultaniously) and and refusing to give a time line. so my though process is something like this.   

assume five percent of the us population is still alive at this point, five percent of 360 million people is 18,000,000 spread across 3.797 million square miles (United States).  the current population of NYC is around 8 million if that helps to invision just how empty the country would be from coast to coast border to border. .

just taking the first episode, they gave a time line whether they meant to or not,  Rick was in the hosptial for a week at the most, three days of that was after the dead had risen and overrun the hospital.  thats how long he could have laid there with out water and not died or been so dehydrated he couldnt move, trust me Ive been that dehydrated you dont move you just lay there and try to cry it hurts so bad, your muscles lock, you cant cry no water for tears and the only thing that will save you is a Saline IV, or in my case three.  Got to love the sandbox and MOP gear. 

Non critical wound, sedated and on an IV, a week in the shop tops. just the sedated part tells you he had only been out of surgery a few hours when Shane stopped by with the flowers.   by that time line it was the next day or the day after when Shane showed up and pushed the gurney in front of the door as the dead poured through the hospital.   so the world died hard and fast, and there would be alot of supplies scattered around waiting to be picked up.

if it only took three days to a week for the world to die, then you will still have fully stocked stores in some areas because people died before they could strip them.    in other places people would have emptied the stores and died before they could use all the stuff they bough or stole, gas, fuel, food, ammo stuff like that.  

now figure that most of the interstates and roads will be packed with cars for about five to ten miles out of every major city and town, in that mess will be grocery store supply trucks, fuel supply trucks, and everthing else you could want.   if it took three days or so and hundreds of thousands were dead by the second day, how many people would have shown up to work at say the Walmart distribution center, or at the warehouses on the docks etc..

how many stores never opened for business because the guard or the military locked down towns and roads trying to stop the spread. 

how many places did survivors want to check out that might have had thousands of undead on the streets around it so the band of survivors just moved on leaving a fully stocked store. eventually something draws the attention of the dead and they wander off leaving the store now free and clear to scavenge in.  

how far can you travel per day on foot or in vehicles while dodging herds and large groups.  and a motor can be heard for miles around and draw in the zeds.    on average I suspect they dont cover more than ten miles out from where ever they hole up, just because of having to be cuatious when moving around. 

anyway thats my thought process on the matter... oh and as far as fuel.. check into where gas stations get their fuel.  you might be surprised to find out how close you are to a tens of thousands to hundreds of thousands of gallons of fuel you didnt even know about.  and how many of those fuel delivery drivers would have shown up for work after a day or two of seeing the dead eating people on TV and the Zeds wandering their neighborhoods and towns.  sorry its so long.. I really need a secretary LOL.

Edited by OKelly
[quote name="OKelly" post="1116221" timestamp="1393295259"]this is something Ive thought abourt alot and its where TWD face plants by refusing to discuss how it started (as in did it start in one place or world wide simultaniously) and and refusing to give a time line. so my though process is something like this. assume five percent of the us population is still alive at this point, five percent of 360 million people is 18,000,000 spread across 3.797 million square miles (United States). the current population of NYC is around 8 million if that helps to invision just how empty the country would be from coast to coast border to border. . just taking the first episode, they gave a time line whether they meant to or not, Rick was in the hosptial for a week at the most, three days of that was after the dead had risen and overrun the hospital. thats how long he could have laid there with out water and not died or been so dehydrated he couldnt move, trust me Ive been that dehydrated you dont move you just lay there and try to cry it hurts so bad, your muscles lock, you cant cry no water for tears and the only thing that will save you is a Saline IV, or in my case three. Got to love the sandbox and MOP gear. Non critical wound, sedated and on an IV, a week in the shop tops. just the sedated part tells you he had only been out of surgery a few hours when Shane stopped by with the flowers. by that time line it was the next day or the day after when Shane showed up and pushed the gurney in front of the door as the dead poured through the hospital. so the world died hard and fast, and there would be alot of supplies scattered around waiting to be picked up. if it only took three days to a week for the world to die, then you will still have fully stocked stores in some areas because people died before they could strip them. in other places people would have emptied the stores and died before they could use all the stuff they bough or stole, gas, fuel, food, ammo stuff like that. now figure that most of the interstates and roads will be packed with cars for about five to ten miles out of every major city and town, in that mess will be grocery store supply trucks, fuel supply trucks, and everthing else you could want. if it took three days or so and hundreds of thousands were dead by the second day, how many people would have shown up to work at say the Walmart distribution center, or at the warehouses on the docks etc.. how many stores never opened for business because the guard or the military locked down towns and roads trying to stop the spread. how many places did survivors want to check out that might have had thousands of undead on the streets around it so the band of survivors just moved on leaving a fully stocked store. eventually something draws the attention of the dead and they wander off leaving the store now free and clear to scavenge in. how far can you travel per day on foot or in vehicles while dodging herds and large groups. and a motor can be heard for miles around and draw in the zeds. on average I suspect they dont cover more than ten miles out from where ever they hole up, just because of having to be cuatious when moving around. anyway thats my thought process on the matter... oh and as far as fuel.. check into where gas stations get their fuel. you might be surprised to find out how close you are to a tens of thousands to hundreds of thousands of gallons of fuel you didnt even know about. and how many of those fuel delivery drivers would have shown up for work after a day or two of seeing the dead eating people on TV and the Zeds wandering their neighborhoods and towns. sorry its so long.. I really need a secretary LOL.[/quote] I can agree to a point, I still think there are more survivors out there than what they've indicated. Again, the show revolves around a small handful of people only. At the point that they're at now (a year and a half after it all starts) there's been enough time for the small towns to be fairly cleaned out of the bare necessities. I think about the small town I grew up in, if out of the 3k that lived there 150 or so (5%) survived to go house to house and hit the grocery stores for supplies, I'd opine that you'd clean out a town in less than a year. So then you move on to the next closest town (that's already been looted and potentially more hostile) how many supplies are you really gonna find? Of course the farther you get from the big cities, the more sparse the interstate traffic is the fewer supplies you're gonna find there as well. I did read a piece on survivalblog.com about distribution centers and how much more frequent they are than what you would think. One of the tips they gave on there was to simply take notice of the delivery trucks and the like that you see on a daily basis. Those trucks have to shuttle supplies from a warehouse somewhere close by to get them to stores quickly (perishables, etc). Once you locate those warehouses make notes of how far they are from you and keep them in mind. The general population won't think to loot them if it comes down to it, and there probably won't be too much left of security left to protect them after the first few weeks (all those security folks have families too). In a SHTFS senario, warehouse like that could prolong existence for a good long while. Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I can agree to a point, I still think there are more survivors out there than what they've indicated. Again, the show revolves around a small handful of people only. At the point that they're at now (a year and a half after it all starts) there's been enough time for the small towns to be fairly cleaned out of the bare necessities. I think about the small town I grew up in, if out of the 3k that lived there 150 or so (5%) survived to go house to house and hit the grocery stores for supplies, I'd opine that you'd clean out a town in less than a year. So then you move on to the next closest town (that's already been looted and potentially more hostile) how many supplies are you really gonna find? Of course the farther you get from the big cities, the more sparse the interstate traffic is the fewer supplies you're gonna find there as well. I did read a piece on survivalblog.com about distribution centers and how much more frequent they are than what you would think. One of the tips they gave on there was to simply take notice of the delivery trucks and the like that you see on a daily basis. Those trucks have to shuttle supplies from a warehouse somewhere close by to get them to stores quickly (perishables, etc). Once you locate those warehouses make notes of how far they are from you and keep them in mind. The general population won't think to loot them if it comes down to it, and there probably won't be too much left of security left to protect them after the first few weeks (all those security folks have families too). In a SHTFS senario, warehouse like that could prolong existence for a good long while. Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

the thing about percentages is,  five percent of the overall population might survive, but that doenst neccessarily translate to  five percent of the population of every town and city.  you could end up with huge swathes of completely emtpy country.  at the best ten people might survive in one town, none in the next six towns down the road, a hundred in the seventh town, none for another sixty miles.  etc... 18 million across the entire US leaves a huge area empty of humans.  but its all speculation.

I figured five percent at the top end just due to the number of walkers they have encountered, and the huge number shown in Atlanta.   it could be lower than 1 percent or higher than fifty. with out the backstory of how it started and how fast it spread and what was done to combat it there wont be any clear answer's, and Kirkman and the writers wont lock themselves into an answer that they will have to stick with. 

Fuel wise many towns have a fuel supply company(s) that supplies fuel to local gas stations. Exxon, BP, conoca and those guys usually get supplied by their own distribution centers.    but the supply companies that deliver to private stations, are usually out of the way, unknown to the general population and surrounded by a large privacy fences and not one Ive ever seen has the word gas or fuel in their company name LOL..   

its fun to speculate on this stuff.. I suspect I really need a new life LOL. 

Edited by OKelly

As far as the decomposition goes, I think I saw a behind the scenes thing where they mentioned that as time goes on, more of the Walkers are rotting.  I like to speculate also (some people call it making excuses for the plot holes).  Presumably, whatever animates a corpse doesn't necessarily need food, so the zombies may just eat for no reason.

If you ever think to yourself, "that's unbelievable!" just explain it by nanotechnology.  The perfect way to re-animate a corpse.  Make them solar powered or  powered by decaying tissue.  The sci-fi writers have been using nanotech to explain so many things (Revolution, G.I.Joe, Star Trek, etc), it's like radiation was to the 50s and 60s.  We will probably all be laughing at it 30 years from now.  But seriously, nanites could be considered an infection, could spread worldwide, and could all be activated at once remotely to explain sudden TEOTWAWKI (I think I just summed up the basis of Revoution).  Just like radiation, they are almost a throw-away explanation.  

Every time there is a new scifi "mystery" show, I jokingly tell my wife, "It's nanotech.  It's always nanotech."  Sometimes I'm right.  She usually ignores me, regardless.

As far as the available food and fuel so far, I find it believable, assuming a huge percent of the population is dead or living dead.  I might feel more satisfied if the Walker infection outright killed a bunch of people and then turned them, as opposed to having to believe that the majority of people left their homes and died somewhere else.

I think the show's explanation was that the government (before realizing that everyone was infected), brought all the rural people into the cities for protection, and then fire-bombed Atlanta in a failed effort to contain the infection.  Which, according to those who believe in FEMA camps, would be a realistic response by our government.  At least a lot of modern apocalyptic fiction shares the same theme--the government first tries to circle the wagons in a legitimate attempt to protect the people, but as soon as it gets out of control, it becomes either every man for himself or kill 'em all containment scenario.

no way am I watching WD over True Detective.   Might watch WD once the season is over, but I have not missed it, even a little bit.

Just did a marathon of the 6 True Detective episodes.

Man these are great. Saw an ad saying only 2 more episodes. Is that the end or just the season? Anyone know?

But on the topic of the WD, I finally say this last episode today. I must say I'm totally let down by this season  so far.

The only thing I liked was Carl and Michonne talking about her son.

But I did get a doubletake on the scientist with Abraham. His " Trust me, I'm smarter than you." was hilarious.

However, is this "scientist" for real? Not having read any of the comics, just watching this episode; I have some real reservations.

This guy seems to me to be a possible mental case. Abraham doesn't seem to be the sharpest tack in the box here. So I could see him falling for a mental ward escapee.

Ok, maybe I'm overthinking all this...or just too suspicious.

Sadly Ive been let down since the beginning of Season three LOL.  I tend to catch TWD on the repeat later in the week, since I have better things to watch or do on Sundays like offroad or hike when the weather isnt being a pain in my kester. 

I can only take so many file cabinets that can stop a .50 cal round or people who cant seem to lock doors in a cell block that tthey have keys for before its no longer credible.  

Just did a marathon of the 6 True Detective episodes.

Man these are great. Saw an ad saying only 2 more episodes. Is that the end or just the season? Anyone know?

End of the season, end of that story line, end of those characters.

Dunno if it's been renewed for a second one or not?

- OS

End of the season, end of that story line, end of those characters.

Dunno if it's been renewed for a second one or not?

- OS

Thanks. I was going to do a google search this evening after posting that thought. But wife came home and wanted to go out to neighborhood meeting. So I'll try it later tonight.

I didn't dig the "Hey, this dude here knows all about what caused it but there won't be any discussion about it so we can string the audience along for a bit" nonsense also.

And again with the full-auto stupidity. While the guy with the pistol does one-shot-one-kill a half dozen times in a row.

Edited by tnguy

I didn't dig the "Hey, this dude here knows all about what caused it but there won't be any discussion about it so we can string the audience along for a bit" nonsense also.

And again with the full-auto stupidity. While the guy with the pistol does one-shot-one-kill a half dozen times in a row.

The 12 year old with a pistol at that.

I guess what amazes me and ticks me off about the weapons stupidity, is it wouldnt take to much time or effort on Kirkmans and the writers part to hunt down a few vets or even police officers for advice to correct some of the grossest errors.  I suspect many like myself would offer it freely just to improve a show we had high hopes for.  

judging by many comments on the fan boi sites, realism isnt welcome and shouldnt exist in any show with zombies. they how ever think using every Zombie trope and Soap opera plot is the greatest thing since Rome invented toilets with running water.  next velveteen shirts and bell bottoms will come back as the height of fashion.  >shivers< 

Edited by OKelly

I guess what amazes me and ticks me off about the weapons stupidity, is it wouldnt take to much time or effort on Kirkmans and the writers part to hunt down a few vets or even police officers for advice to correct some of the grossest errors.  I suspect many like myself would offer it freely just to improve a show we had high hopes for.  

judging by many comments on the fan boi sites, realism isnt welcome and shouldnt exist in any show with zombies. they how ever think using every Zombie trope and Soap opera plot is the greatest thing since Rome invented toilets with running water.  next velveteen shirts and bell bottoms will come back as the height of fashion.  >shivers< 

Hey now.  Some of us older guys might just like that. :cool: It would bring back some of the glory days memories. 

Well...at least just the bell bottoms anyway. Think about what you could ankle or boot carry under them. LOL

Hey now.  Some of us older guys might just like that. :cool: It would bring back some of the glory days memories. 

Well...at least just the bell bottoms anyway. Think about what you could ankle or boot carry under them. LOL

carry on bags, small children, a little dog that wont let go, Jimmy hoffa maybe LOL.

besides, your only old if you feel like it or  did your home work on stone tablets.

Edited by OKelly
[quote name="reed1285" post="1119232" timestamp="1393815750"]Dissappointed in tonights episode[/quote] Very disappointed. Kinda pissed that I actually took time out of not doing anything to watch it. Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

"Possible Spoiler Alert"

In the comics the "scientist" was actually just a high school science teacher that was using his basic knowledge of science to trick others in to keeping him alive.  He didn't really have any clue as to what caused the disease.