Rude Pro 2nd Amendment Couple Upset Store Clerk.

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest Verbal Kint

What do you all think of the actions of Mr. & Mrs X? Did they do a good job of defending 2nd Amendment rights? Would you do the same as they did?

Bottom line... there's always a wrong way and a right way to handle things. Being an advocate of a cause is no different.

IMO, Mr. & Mrs. X failed miserably at trying to do that. They took it out on a clerk that has absolutely zero clout to change that store's policy. And, from your story, they never asked your daughter for the managers contact information when she stated they needed to take it up with him/her. So, basically, they just acted like complete a-holes and gained absolutely nothing. Both parties lost. But, IMO, the pro-gun party lost even more. Why? Because now your daughter and anyone within earshot of that situation, or any staff that later learns of it, walks away with this opinion of us. :)

Apologize to your daughter on behalf of those that carry, or at least myself if no one else sides with me on this. I can understand the point that the couple was trying to make, but as I said... they went about it totally wrong.

Just my $0.02... and with a few others you might be able to buy her a coke for her trouble. :screwy:

Her response about the thugs was really bad.

I've been known to ask questions. When improperly posted I'd ask a question. The response she gave about thugs and guns would have resulted in her getting to void a sale, then a nice letter to the store manager and chain HQ. OTOH, had she said something like "some paper pusher's idea" she would just get encourage to think about the logic of it.

Thanks to all for your responses to this thread. I think I'll set my little girl down and let her read what you've said so she can get a good idea of how most gun owners think.

NuTcAsE

That cracked me up! I'm sure she'll get a kick out of it as well.

I guess the fact that the Xs jumped on my daughter for something for which she had no control didn't bother me as much as, in my opinion, they did not represent gun owners in a very good light. After all, when you're dealing with the public you have to bite your lip and smile and pretend that the customer is really always right. Unfortunately in this case I think the customers were way off base and it looks like most of you agree. Thanks again for your replies.

When dealing with people like that you can tell them anything and they'll be o.k. with it. Had she replied with something like that and they called about the sign and complained that she had insulted them. Her response would be, "Well Mr. Manager, they obviously have a problem with us they're liable to say anything. Seems to me they're trying stir up trouble, you know how those crazy gun people are..."

nutcase: best answer.

Thanks!

Just because someone is on the same side you are doesn't mean they're not an idiot. Visit any political forum on any gun board and you'll be forcibly reminded of this fact.

lol, Yep!

Guest canynracer
It doesn't matter. It's like beating up the Wal-Mart cashier to teach the corporation a lesson. It does no good and only punishes someone who doesn't deserve it.

Power trip for the X's and they leave feeling like they fought the man, when all they did was pick on a little girl.:popcorn:

+100000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000

Guest Honest AK

As soon as they started in on her she should have said "How would you like it if I came to your workplace and harassed you like you are harassing me right now?" I used that one to shut up unreasonable customers back when I worked at Lowe's. You might be surprised at the number of folks who decide to get drunk and go shopping for lumber.

The part that gets me is when he said "I don't think your Dad would buy anything from this store if he knew their anti 2nd Amendment policy."

He knew very well what he was doing and who he was doing it to. Upon finding out that he actually sought out a confrontation with my daughter, I would have had a very hard time keeping my cool. :confused:

Guest gunslinger707

NuTcAsE

Quote:

Her reply, something to the effect of.. "I am in no position to discuss store policy with customers. Our Manager is off today, but here is a card with the phone number on it you can reach him tomorrow at x:00 when he returns. And you may want to give him some suggestions for a sign that you could understand better maybe with some finger paintings or cave drawings, just a thought but I'm sure you'll come up with something. We really appreciate you stopping by I'll put your order on hold so you can pick it up tomorrow. Oh!, and I'll tell dad you said Hi!" as politely and as friendly as I could be while ushering them to the door.

Edited by gunslinger707
that's isay that's my boy in my best Foghorn Leghorn voice !!! lol
Guest janwbrown616

Sounds to me like they were not going to buy glasses anyway. They just wanted to send a message that the store lost an 800 dollar sell because of their gun policy.

Some people are like that. They really don't care who they step on or who they screw over. As long as they get to make their point, they're happy.

It's a shame that they really don't realize it makes THEM look stupid and gives other gun owners a bad name.

I wonder how they would have felt if they had NEEDED glasses and after going thru the whole shopping process the owner told them "I'm sorry, we don't sell to anyone carrying a gun in here...."

When I make company purchases at Lowe's, they always ask for the last four digits of the card. There is a screen prompt on their registers. Why? I don't know. Some cards don't require it, though. I have an Amex card.

I asked about this. It is because some one could steal your credit card number with a mag strip reader. They then create a blank card and add your number to it. They won't necessarily know the last 4 of your card so if they can't enter it they can't complete the sale.

Guest HexHead
I don't really see the issue here. Did couple X know that this saleslady was paid on commission? 99% chance the answer is no. The whole thing probably was staged. Couple X wanted this store to know that they just lost an $800 sale. Not a bad way to prove a point, IMHO.

I agree, they probably figured she would tell the manager what happened and he'd probably mention it upstream that the sign was costing them business. Once a company puts 2+2 together and figures out their stupid "feel good" sign is costing them money, they might do something about it.

I agree, they probably figured she would tell the manager what happened and he'd probably mention it upstream that the sign was costing them business. Once a company puts 2+2 together and figures out their stupid "feel good" sign is costing them money, they might do something about it.

If it were me I would probably think it was an isolated incident of a couple "gun nuts" who were just trying stir trouble, and I wasn't losing any money, they weren't buying anyway.

However, I would take notice to a lot of pleasant, polite, well spoken, "gun enthusiasts" who could present me with a convincing argument of the error of my ways.

Well, I thought you all would be interested in the final update on this situation. I guess every angle has been discussed and a lot of opinions shared and I think we all benefited from it.

Today, Mr. and Mrs. X called my daughter at the store and told her they had decided to purchase the glasses. They came in and while they did not apologize directly, Mrs. X did tell my girl, out of Mr. X's hearing, that "he gets riled up sometimes." And that was that.

I guess he dicided that the product he wanted wasn't worth a boycott after all.

Honestly...either ya need glasses or you don't. Stores are more than legally able to refuse service to anyone for anything, other than race or gender, generally speaking. If you don't like a stores policy don't shop there, but ya don't need to be a prick about it, unless you like spreading your unhappiness all over the world. This may be the case why you need an HCP.

So . . . Mr. and Mrs. X take on a female employee who makes NO policy or has ANY supervisory capacity.

Mr. and Mrs. X do not ask for the manager.

Mr. and Mrs. X wanted to inflict themselves on someone.

Unfortunately, these jerks chose your precious daughter.

Says MUCH more about them than your child.

Guest canynracer
Well, I thought you all would be interested in the final update on this situation. I guess every angle has been discussed and a lot of opinions shared and I think we all benefited from it.

Today, Mr. and Mrs. X called my daughter at the store and told her they had decided to purchase the glasses. They came in and while they did not apologize directly, Mrs. X did tell my girl, out of Mr. X's hearing, that "he gets riled up sometimes." And that was that.

I guess he dicided that the product he wanted wasn't worth a boycott after all.

Glad it all worked out. but they are still idiots. You can tell them I said that next time you see them :D

Guest Dragonman

Since from what was written Mr. X was the one doing all the talking and Mrs. X was there because of ther husband and was probably embarrased by his actions. She did at least make an attempt to apologize to your daughter. Mr. X was just looking for somebody to pick a fight with and she just happened to be there. As quoted earlier "You can't fix stupid". Just like store clerks don't set store policy. He had some beef about the chains policies he should have contacted corporate and shopped elsewhere.

Morons with attitudes like that are one of the reason there was such a big to do about passing concealed carry laws and Castle Doctrine laws to begin with. Give all gun owners a bad name.

I searched for this topic to ask a question about TN law and inadvertantly discovered more of an answer than I anticipated.

***In the first post here, I did not read that the sale was not made - I did read the wife's comment that the Husband's Dad would not make a purchase with a "Firearms prohibited" on the door. Was that assumed due to the comment about lost personal income? maybe I read it too fast. It appears to me the emotional impact of the interaction was bigger than the interaction itself - but that is not too uncommon.

I had a similar experience yesterday. I walked up to the door of VV in NE TN, read the "Firearms prohibited" sign, returned to my vehicle, reconsidered and went into the store. I was looking through frames to find one I liked and it just happened that the store manager was the person to assist me in the end.

There were no other customers waiting on his services and I took all of 2 minutes to ask regarding the sign on the door: "Is this a franchise decision or a local store decision?" The manager replied that this was TN law. "You can not have a handgun in any business in TN. We received a letter and the sign and put it on the door." I asked him who he thought would obey the sign. It was a multiple choice question: 1. People who obey the law or

2. people who don't obey the law. He got it right.

I then asked him if that concerned him due to the cash they handled and making the store a gun free zone to invite an armed robbery. He said he hadn't thought of it that way.

Can someone direct me to the specifics of TN law regarding this matter.

Thanks.

cbt