Rude Pro 2nd Amendment Couple Upset Store Clerk.

My 26 year old daughter had an unpleasant experience with a rude pro gun guy and his wife yesterday in the store where she works and I thought I would relate to this board what went down and get your opinions on what transpired and your thoughts on what happened.

My daughter works in a regionally successful eyewear company with stores throughout the midwest including Tennessee. She is a sales person who helps customers pick out frames and get their glasses and contacts made. She works for commission and her time is valuable.

Yesterday Mr. and Mrs. X came into the store. Upon entering, they passed by an obvious sign that states "No Guns or Weapons Allowed on These Premises." (I know its not the sign required by statute but that's not germane to what happens later).

Upon entering, my daughter asks Mr.& Mrs. X if she could help them. They said yes and proceeded with the normal routine of purchasing two pairs of glasses. My daughter spent over an hour helping them with their purchase.

Upon completing all the details of the purchase they all proceeded to the register where the transaction would be finalized and the bill was totaled to about $800.00. At this point Mr. X asks my daughter why her store does not support 2nd Amendment rights. (Let me say at this point that my daughter is about as unpolitical as one can be. She has absolutely no interest in politics and no interest in guns or 2nd Amendment issues and has no opinion, one way or another, on what the laws should be). When asked the question by Mr. X, she asked him what he meant. He said "that sign on the door says no guns are allowed in this store." My daughter, being taken a little off guard by the question, jokingly said "well there are a lot of thugs that come in here and we don't want them bringing their guns in." (I know, bad answer if it was one of us, but coming from her in this situation I understand her saying it).

At this point Mrs. X speaks up and says "I don't think your Dad would buy anything from this store if he knew their anti 2nd Amendment policy."

(I am only vaguely familiar with these people. Mr.X and I were involved in a minor fender bender about 30 years ago where no one was charged and no hard feelings. Our paths have crossed occasionally over the years and we have never spoke more than to say "hi, how's it going" or some such greeting. I guess if you are into firearms like I am, word gets out around the community.)

My daughter then explained to the X's that the manager is who they should talk to but he was off yesterday. They thought for a minute and then said they would go home and think about it and decide if they could purchase from that store and they would let her know. Then turned and walked out.

Needless to say, when my girl swung by my house to tell me about this she was really upset. She came in to where I was at and half jokingly asked me, "What's the matter with you gun people?" (She likes to jab at me when she can and she took this opportunity to dig it in.) These people had taken over an hour of her time -after seeing the sign that upset them so much - and kept her from helping other customers for which she could have been earning a commission. She is a struggling Mom and every penny is important to her. She doesn't make the store rules. Now she, along with all the others who work at that store have a very negative opinion of those pro 2nd Amendment folks. And I think, by implication, the rest of us as well.

I think it is important to pick our battles wisely. But to pick a battle with a lowly store clerk over the policies of a multi-state eyewear conglomerate does not sound like prudent battle picking to me.

What do you all think of the actions of Mr. & Mrs X? Did they do a good job of defending 2nd Amendment rights? Would you do the same as they did?

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Probably would have been better to immediately ask about the stores No Gun policy or to have simply not entered and wrote a letter.

But I do see the point they were trying to prove, that while not many, the business could be losing sales because of their policy. It is bad that it directly affected your daughter's paycheck.

....and although I know she meant it more as an offhand remark, You could let her know those signs do not prevent the "thugs" from carrying their weapons in.

Edited by Fallguy
Guest nraforlife

Arseholes come in all shapes, colors and religion. Unfortunately, the pro 2nd amendment groups aren't immune from these jerks either. Sounds like Mr. X is suffering from LDS which is really a quite common malady with people that act like he did.

Guest bkelm18

Some people just don't know how to pick their battles. Reminds me of the other day when I was in Lowes picking up some parts for work, the guy in line at the cashier in front of me argued with the cashier for like 5 minutes about their policy to ask for the last 4 digits of the credit card number when you use it. He was acting like she had a personal vendetta against him when she was just following store policy. Some people are just jackholes.

Guest clownsdd

Kinda torn about this one. As a commissioned salesperson myself, I can see your daughter's point, but I can also see the "customer's point". A form of "non confrontational protest" (taking an employees time, and costing the employee and the business money) is a good way of getting the point across, we generally agree to hit them in the pocket and let them know it, although I don't agree with the way it was handled.

Your daughter got the short end of the stick. I would attempt to educate her a little more for a better response to questions about this from customers.

Her response about the thugs was really bad.

I believe this was handled equally bad on both sides.

I guess I'm lucky in that my daughter has her permit, carries, and is well versed in laws regarding same, though we don't always agree.

Her response about the thugs was really bad.

I though it was a good comment!I would have also stated the same,and added "And to keep aholes like you that dont need to be carrying from coming in.Evidently the sign didn't work"

Don't enter the store if you don't want to support them. Contact the corporate offices if you want to let them know why you won't support them and will support their competitors. It's not like anyone at the local level can change corporate policy.

Really kind of juvenile to try to make a statement by punishing the ones who have absolutely no power to make any changes.:cool:

Wayne ,give your daughter ten or twenty bucks whatever she lost, it will ease her financial loss and make you feel good

their policy to ask for the last 4 digits of the credit card number when you use it.

what is this for? I would have no clue what the last four digits of a CC # are.

Guest bkelm18
Wayne ,give your daughter ten or twenty bucks whatever she lost, it will ease her financial loss and make you feel good

what is this for? I would have no clue what the last four digits of a CC # are.

She said it was to make sure you were the owner of the card or something. Seems pretty stupid but I'm not going to argue it and hold up a line for 10 minutes. I don't know what would happen if you didn't know the number. On second thought, he did hand her his card instead of just using the little swipe machine in front of him. humph.

When I make company purchases at Lowe's, they always ask for the last four digits of the card. There is a screen prompt on their registers. Why? I don't know. Some cards don't require it, though. I have an Amex card.

Guest bkelm18
When I make company purchases at Lowe's, they always ask for the last four digits of the card. There is a screen prompt on their registers. Why? I don't know. Some cards don't require it, though. I have an Amex card.

We use purchase orders. The real fun is hoping you get a cashier that actually knows how to enter a P.O.

Guest macmonkey

Let it go. Sounds like they are complete arseholes. Would do no good ever calling them out. You are completely right about picking your battles. Some example these pricks are making.

What goes around comes around.

Guest Boomhower

I don't really see the issue here. Did couple X know that this saleslady was paid on commission? 99% chance the answer is no. The whole thing probably was staged. Couple X wanted this store to know that they just lost an $800 sale. Not a bad way to prove a point, IMHO. Aside from dragging her family into the conversation (that I don't agree with), and us not actually knowing exactly what couple X's tone and attitude were, from this 2nd hand information, it sounds to me like a fairly peaceable conversation. Maybe everybody else needs to take a gut check.

Sorry Wayne.....I agree with Mike though. Throw her a few bucks if it hurt her paycheck that bad.

I don't really see the issue here. Did couple X know that this saleslady was paid on commission? 99% chance the answer is no. The whole thing probably was staged. Couple X wanted this store to know that they just lost an $800 sale. Not a bad way to prove a point, IMHO. Aside from dragging her family into the conversation (that I don't agree with), and us not actually knowing exactly what couple X's tone and attitude were, from this 2nd hand information, it sounds to me like a fairly peaceable conversation. Maybe everybody else needs to take a gut check.

Sorry Wayne.....I agree with Mike though. Throw her a few bucks if it hurt her paycheck that bad.

It doesn't matter. It's like beating up the Wal-Mart cashier to teach the corporation a lesson. It does no good and only punishes someone who doesn't deserve it.

Power trip for the X's and they leave feeling like they fought the man, when all they did was pick on a little girl.:)

At this point Mr. X asks my daughter why her store does not support 2nd Amendment rights. (Let me say at this point that my daughter is about as unpolitical as one can be. She has absolutely no interest in politics and no interest in guns or 2nd Amendment issues and has no opinion, one way or another, on what the laws should be). When asked the question by Mr. X, she asked him what he meant. He said "that sign on the door says no guns are allowed in this store." My daughter, being taken a little off guard by the question, jokingly said "well there are a lot of thugs that come in here and we don't want them bringing their guns in." (I know, bad answer if it was one of us, but coming from her in this situation I understand her saying it).

At this point Mrs. X speaks up and says "I don't think your Dad would buy anything from this store if he knew their anti 2nd Amendment policy."

Her reply, something to the effect of.. "I am in no position to discuss store policy with customers. Our Manager is off today, but here is a card with the phone number on it you can reach him tomorrow at x:00 when he returns. And you may want to give him some suggestions for a sign that you could understand better maybe with some finger paintings or cave drawings, just a thought but I'm sure you'll come up with something. We really appreciate you stopping by I'll put your order on hold so you can pick it up tomorrow. Oh!, and I'll tell dad you said Hi!" as politely and as friendly as I could be while ushering them to the door.

What do you all think of the actions of Mr. & Mrs X? Did they do a good job of defending 2nd Amendment rights? Would you do the same as they did?

No, and No. I will not patronize a place that is posted. I figure that is their business and they can do with it as they see fit. Should I have an issue I would take it up with management not an employee.

Thanks to all for your responses to this thread. I think I'll set my little girl down and let her read what you've said so she can get a good idea of how most gun owners think.

NuTcAsE

Her reply, something to the effect of.. "I am in no position to discuss store policy with customers. Our Manager is off today, but here is a card with the phone number on it you can reach him tomorrow at x:00 when he returns. And you may want to give him some suggestions for a sign that you could understand better maybe with some finger paintings or cave drawings, just a thought but I'm sure you'll come up with something. We really appreciate you stopping by I'll put your order on hold so you can pick it up tomorrow. Oh!, and I'll tell dad you said Hi!" as politely and as friendly as I could be while ushering them to the door.

That cracked me up! I'm sure she'll get a kick out of it as well.

I guess the fact that the Xs jumped on my daughter for something for which she had no control didn't bother me as much as, in my opinion, they did not represent gun owners in a very good light. After all, when you're dealing with the public you have to bite your lip and smile and pretend that the customer is really always right. Unfortunately in this case I think the customers were way off base and it looks like most of you agree. Thanks again for your replies.