PIC of 1600 Garands

A lot of talk recently on this forum that the CMP is running out of Garands.

Here is a very recent picture of 1600 M1 Garands at the CMP warehouse in Anniston, AL.

40 crates x 40 rifles per crate.

1182ihv.jpg

While I didn't take this picture (a friend did), it is representative of what I saw earlier this month during a visit to the CMP.

This pic only shows a small area of the warehouse and a small number of the crates.  While I wouldn't call the warehouse "Raiders of the Lost Ark" in size and number of crates - - - it is a very big storage facility.

The number of rifles that the CMP can inspect/repair/ship per day isn't much different than it was a year ago.  However mail orders have increased dramatically with the panic buying from earlier this year.  Frankly, it caught the CMP by surprise - - - the 2009 Barry Hussein election induced panic buying didn't affect Garands sales.

Someday the CMP will sell its last Garand and that day grows closer with every year....., but the current supply on hand appears (at least to me) to be what has been the norm for the past decade.

So "Keep Calm & Garand On!"

• Like 2
Guest TankerHC
No offense but that's a drop in the bucket. CMP has already sent out the email and cut back days opened because of a limited number of rifles coming in. Those racks used to turn over 4 or 5 times a week. What a lot of people don't seem to know is that CMP is not exactly government. It's run by a civilian company and those employees work for them. Congress defunded CMP and there is no future funding. Certain members of Congress have been trying to shut it down. The only funding that CMP gets comes from sales and and match sponsorships. The biggest sponsors include NRA. No new rifles will come in. Just like the 1911s once the garands are gone they are gone. There are 50,000 1911 sitting in a warehouse in Virginia and CMP will not see one of them. The same will happen with the garands and we're just about there with the 03s.

Sent from my SPH-L720 using Tapatalk 2

The CMP continues to operate five days of the week as it has in the past.

The email was about the stores. 

The walk-in stores at Perry and Anniston that have cut one day of being open is because of the MASSIVE amount of mail orders.

The walk-in stores were always stocked after the mail orders were taken care of.  With so many mail orders to take care of, the stores are not going to be as well stocked as in the past so they are now open Thur-Sat instead of Wed-Sat.

I talked directly to the CMP Chief Operating Officer during my visit and his response in regard to the amount of Garands was the same as its been for the past several years, "2 to 3 years remaining."

Congress defunded CMP and there is no future funding......

Congress defunded and closed the old Director of Civilian Marksmanship (DCM) which was run by the Army back in the early 1990s.  It then created the Civilian Marksmanship Program as a 501c foundation that is protected from ever being shutdown by the federal government.

The CMP has never been funded by Congress.

Edited by DMark
Guest TankerHC
I'm not a pessimist, but I am a realist. We can all act like these guns will keep coming forever. But they won't. They are going to run out, sooner than later. And as I mentioned just like the 03s and just like the 1911s and Kimbers you won't see any more. CMP sold those 1911s for 25 and 35 dollars. Mark my words. Prices on garands will go the same direction as the 1911s. And mark my word's on this one too, if we lose the house next year, the CMP will be a thing we all talk about. Because it will be gone.. Those who want one but procrastinate will be seeing triple prices or higher. I predict regardless within the next 36 months.

Guest TankerHC

Congress defunded and closed the old Director of Civilian Marksmanship (DCM) which was run by the Army back in the early 1990s. It then created the Civilian Marksmanship Program as a 501c foundation that is protected from ever being shutdown by the federal government.

Wrong. It will be shut down. When they run out of guns. And they will. And Congress can shut it down.

The CMP has never been funded by Congress.

Guest TankerHC
Better check your history on CMP, how it was funded. Might want to also check with the nra on no future funding.

• Admin Team

Let's not let evidence get in the way of our speculation...

We're talking 70 year old rifles, here.  Regardless of how much Obama, Hillary and all the other boogeymen out there might hate the CMP, we're operating with a fixed supply of rifles that's going to run out sooner or later.  They've seen their business change.  A lot of folks today would much rather order online or via email instead of making the drive - so a private company made a business decision that makes sense for their business.  I don't see a conspiracy here.

People probably should hurry up and get one of these great old rifles; CMP supplies are going to be exhausted one day. 

But please, do it because of the respect you've got for the old warhorses - not because Obama's going to come take them.

• Like 4
Guest TankerHC
Driving down the road and thinking about it. (Not texting while driving) . Thinking why I am really discussing it when I really don't care. People can buy their rifles or not by their rifles. Go there or not. Doesn't affect me when iota. I know because I see. All I know for sure is when they are gone and they will be, I'll have mine. One thing just got sick. Sorry if sounded belligerent. Didnt know my glucose was dropping getting ill. 51. Wife drove over to get me something to eat. When that happens the worse I feel the more belligerent I get. Jeff out.

Well......  :waiting:

I reckon starting a thread on the Current and Factual status of Garands within the CMP from one of its Master Instructors who recently had a visit to its Anniston warehouse and talked directly with its officials is not good enough to dispel those who would rather offer their own self-predictions, false information, and develop rumors.

I tried.

• Like 5
Guest TankerHC
First I don't care who anyone is. Second I just got off the phone with Ohio. I know what's left. Good luck.

Can anyone order from CMP or are there club restrictions? Looks like their auctions are open to everyone (collecting donations to bid on an M1 carbine).

last time i looked into it which was this year i believe you have to take a rifle match at a club thats in with cmp, i plan to do this some day when im not sure