Realistic pricing on Colt Python?

Guest LRJETCAP

Guest LRJETCAP

I am currently trying to get a gauge on what type of price Colt Python's are fetching these days.  I know that online the prices are probably inflated 10-20% but what type of number would you figure for just the pistol, mid-70's model in superb condition?  Thank you in advance for your help fellas-

Edited by LRJETCAP

Two places come to mind.... Look at Collector's Firearms in Tx, and Cherry's Fine Guns websites (...just google 'em...)... The Collector's apprasials are a bit high (....i think...).  The Cherry's appraisals are pretty well right (...i think...)...  Be aware, there are "greater and lesser' python models... Unusual guns sell higher (....nickel, long  barrels, short barrels, etc...)... The more "mainline' models are a bit less expensive... For example, a 2 1/2 python will sell for more than a 4 or 6 inch....

Hope this helps....

leroy

I sold a 6" bright stainless with no box at 98% for $1400 about 6 or 8 months ago.  I probably could have got more for it, but I didn't feel like being an auctioneer. Box/No Box will make a difference as will blued/nickel/stainless.  I have seen them go for as little as $700 at a show (before I got a chance to get to it) and as high as $2000 depending on the gun.  

Guest LRJETCAP

Where were you 6mo ago Hozzie?:)  Thanks for the info Leroy, i'll check it out.  Going through the typical avenues (Armslist/Bud's/GunsUSA) they are way inflated.  I have a feeling i'm going to just have to beat the bushes at the local shows in hopes of running into a deal.  Any idea of what type of drop i'd be looking for when the box and papers are missing?  I know if they are ordered, your looking at about 400 when all is said and done.  I want to sound educated when throwing a number out should I run across something I have interest in.

Guest LRJETCAP

Thanks for the info Jonnin.  There is a broad spectrum of them available with the cheapest around 1400 on the market.  I find that personally to be outrageous, but you can only get what the market demands.......

Thanks for the info Jonnin.  There is a broad spectrum of them available with the cheapest around 1400 on the market.  I find that personally to be outrageous, but you can only get what the market demands.......

Its a lot to pay, for sure.  But think on it this way... if colt made the gun today, it would carry a price on par with their 1911s, probably about $1k price tag.  Colt likes to charge a good $300 - 500 for stamping their logo on a gun; they are well made sure, but there is a brand name recognition factor.   The python had a decent production run but its been out of production for a long time now.  So today's price reflects a bunch of things at once --- a well made pistol that is decades out of production, desired by collectors and shooters alike, from a big brand, is arguably one of the best revolvers ever made, and so on.  All for a price that people do not bat an eye over when its a plastic AR or mid grade 1911, but for a collectable, top of the line revolver, its too high?   

I argue that the price is not so bad considering all that.

However, you do notice that I sold mine.  You can buy at least 2 very nice revolvers for that money, and as many as 4 nice but typical handguns or a whole crate of cheap hardware.   It was worth more to me as cash, and I have just as much fun with my cheaper revolvers. 

Edited by Jonnin

I am currently trying to get a gauge on what type of price Colt Python's are fetching these days.  I know that online the prices are probably inflated 10-20% but what type of number would you figure for just the pistol, mid-70's model in superb condition?  Thank you in advance for your help fellas-

I have been on the hunt for a Python myself and the numbers I see for a superb condition Python seem to start at about $1500 for the average 4 or 6 inch and the skies the limit on rare models. Its had to find a shooter grade under $1200 at the moment and I have been looking very hard for a good six months.lol

I have been on the hunt for a Python myself and the numbers I see for a superb condition Python seem to start at about $1500 for the average 4 or 6 inch and the skies the limit on rare models. Its had to find a shooter grade under $1200 at the moment and I have been looking very hard for a good six months.lol

I've got a "shooter grade" 6" Python and would be very hard pressed to accept 1200 for it. 

Once you shoot it a bit and it don't miss, you're hooked!!

• Like 1
Guest LRJETCAP

Broke down and purchased one yesterday, i'm currently about 1700 lighter in the pocket.   Painful, but well worth it.  Thanks for all the replies.

If I ever sprang for one, with my luck I'd get one whose "hand" was near the needs repair stage! Guess there are a few qualified Colt pistolsmiths still kicking.

"The "weakness of the old Colt action is the hand that advances the cylinder in the Python also forces the cylinder into tight lockup. This hand is subject to wear and does require repair or replacement when it wears to the point that the timing is off. In the old Colt action this is considered to be normal maintenance, just like changing spark plugs in a car. When the hand wears and the action begins to display improper timing, it's time to have the gun serviced by a qualified Colt pistolsmith. If servicing is delayed, the action can be seriously damaged and the cost of repair can be high."
If you search by what has sold on GB you will see that in good condition they are going for $1500. In like new condition they bring $2k or more. The price is up because they are a collector gun. I owned three, wish I had them back, but not to shoot.