300 Black Out.......WHY?

BJB

Here is the deal, I have 2 actions that I want to build on this winter. One is a Mauser  action lg ring 98. Im planning a 22-250 for this one shaw barrel and I want to make the stock my self. The other is a nice 700 action with jeweled bolt, I am thinking 300yrd rifle for small game fox/coyote. There is a lot of talk about the 300blkout, I have no experience with this round but everyone seem to like it. What are the pros and cons. Thanks in advance for your input

Bill

Here is the deal, I have 2 actions that I want to build on this winter. One is a Mauser  action lg ring 98. Im planning a 22-250 for this one shaw barrel and I want to make the stock my self. The other is a nice 700 action with jeweled bolt, I am thinking 300yrd rifle for small game fox/coyote. There is a lot of talk about the 300blkout, I have no experience with this round but everyone seem to like it. What are the pros and cons. Thanks in advance for your input

Bill

There's is no "pro" for your 300yd small game purpose that I can think of ?

- OS

Edited by Oh Shoot

Its big pro is mostly aimed at AR platforms in that, technically, the only thing that needs to be changed is the barrel. Because it's a .223/5.56 casing, it can be used in 5.56x45NATO STANAG magazines with no issues as well the bolt is good to go too since the casing, once again, is the same. It's basically an American produced 7.62x39mm, so to speak.

• Like 1

Yea, I wouldn't see the 300 BLK as an ideal cartridge for a 300 yard bolt gun. You'd probably be better off with it in .308, but some of our ballistic gurus may say different.

If you want the fox pelts, you should use something that will not rip the poor thing to shreds.  308 will do excessive damage to small game.  So will tumbly 223 rounds.  In that regard, 300 BO might be a great choice.  However 300 bo almost requires you to load your own. If you load your own, in a bolt gun, you can use darn near anything for this job -- a 308 moving at 1/2 its normal velocity for example might be awesome, or a 223 with a 1500 fps load, etc.  

If you do not care about the pelt, you can use a cannon for all it matters.

I would say 22 mag but not sure at 300... ???   If it can go the distance with fatal impact, it would do the least pelt damage (?).

Guest Aces&8s

.204 Ruger for fox & yote at 300 - 500 yards.

This is what I was thinking, as well.  The 40 grain Hornady V-Max is still smoking out at 500 yards, over 2000 fps with about 400 ft-lbs of energy.  Of course, the 22-250 would be a fine choice, too.

Another vote for .204 or .22-250 here.

One other possible option that would give you pretty much (I think) the best of all possible worlds, is something in quarter-inch caliber. .25-06, .257 Roberts (or Weatherby) etc...

Not too heavy or fast for smaller critters but plenty adequate for mid-range (2-400yd) deer hunting.