Good an bad day shooting at the family farm.

Tobashadow

First day out with the nine year old daughter, she loved the 22 AR. Got wife to shoot the Mosion lol and actually got her to shoot the 12 gauge which she loved so much my son had to almost pry it out of her hand lol. The bad, my new red dot on my 223 AR started drifting to the right then shut off then after going for a walk on my dad's land we came across two hunters hunting deer without permission and after asking them to leave I discovered they had active corn bait buckets where they was hunting which pissed me off. :angry: Edited by Tobashadow
No evidence now lol, I spread it around and busted the buckets up too lol. They had even nailed them to trees to keep them stationary but a size 12 solved that kind quickly, I made sure to look for any trail cameras for evidence and found none. I was plans not pissed after asking them to leave till I found the buckets. Might as well have been hunting at the zoo. Edited by Tobashadow
Do *not* carry weapons anywhere near that bait.

Regs prohibit them within several hundred yards, even unknowingly.

Trying to find cite, but remember reading about a fubared landowner in the last year or so. Some stupid distance...250 yards??

BTW....spreading the corn did not help. Your land is still baited. Edited by R_Bert
Guest TresOsos

How do these rules apply to food plots, is that concidered baiting?

Do you have to be 250 yards away from a food plot before you can hunt in that area?

How do these rules apply to food plots, is that concidered baiting?

Do you have to be 250 yards away from a food plot before you can hunt in that area?

Nope, You PLANT food plots and there is nothing they can do about that. You can even plant corn and leave it standing until ready to hunt and then go bush hog it and still be within the law because it is considered agriculture. I Have known of many folks in the past that would plant a corn field and leave some standing to bush hog a week before dove season but you better not get caught hauling it in there.

Edited by Luke E.

Do *not* carry weapons anywhere near that bait.

Regs prohibit them within several hundred yards, even unknowingly.

Trying to find cite, but remember reading about a fubared landowner in the last year or so. Some stupid distance...250 yards??

BTW....spreading the corn did not help. Your land is still baited.

Not planning on hunting that land this year at all, I spread it all over the place to not create a single spot for the bastards. They had the two buckets setup in a straight easy shot from their tree stands they had setup.

The first one I came across had the balls to tell me I'm disturbing the deer lol.

Not planning on hunting that land this year at all, I spread it all over the place to not create a single spot for the bastards. They had the two buckets setup in a straight easy shot from their tree stands they had setup.

The first one I came across had the balls to tell me I'm disturbing the deer lol.

Should have run them off and kept their stands. When they disagreed you could have told them that they could have them back as soon as they explained what they were doing to the local TWRA officer.

• Like 1
Guest TresOsos

Nope, You PLANT food plots and there is nothing they can do about that. You can even plant corn and leave it standing until ready to hunt and then go bush hog it and still be within the law because it is considered agriculture. I Have known of many folks in the past that would plant a corn field and leave some standing to bush hog a week before dove season but you better not get caught hauling it in there.

Thanks, Luke, I know that the TWRA use to encoutage food plots and supplied seed, they may still do.

I just never could find any hard firm rules on if it was considered baiting or not and in this case it applies to plots for deer.

No evidence now lol, I spread it around and busted the buckets up too lol. They had even nailed them to trees to keep them stationary but a size 12 solved that kind quickly, I made sure to look for any trail cameras for evidence and found none. I was plans not pissed after asking them to leave till I found the buckets. Might as well have been hunting at the zoo.

Might not be a bad idea to put a couple of your own trail cameras out in that area to determine if they are still tresspassing. If you can determine where they are accessing the property, then I might place one there as well (well concealed of course). If they are still hunting the property, then you'll also have evidence for the TWRA

Thanks, Luke, I know that the TWRA use to encoutage food plots and supplied seed, they may still do.

I just never could find any hard firm rules on if it was considered baiting or not and in this case it applies to plots for deer.

Baiting takes the sport out of it and is not "fair chase".  You throw out corn, a pile of apples to lure them in to kill them.  They throw their inhibitions into the wind to get to it.  Baiting does nothing to improve the quality of the herd.

Food plots are planted and benefit not only the deer heard as a whole, but other wildlife as well.  It grows, its sustainable you can harvest it if you'd like.  

So while similar in that you are putting food out to attract wildlife, one does nothing to help the heard (only hurts because you kill it) and the other does help out the quality of the heard and other animals.  

Thats they way I look at it.  

Should have run them off and kept their stands. When they disagreed you could have told them that they could have them back as soon as they explained what they were doing to the local TWRA officer.

Another perspective is that doing such may have got the landowner killed in a heated moment.  The persons he encountered had already shown their disregard for anything other than their own selfish interests.

Landowner is fortunate that it proceeded as calmly as it did.

Best case scenario would have been of landowner had discreetly discovered trespassers and called TWRA or deputies to intervene.

Edited by R_Bert

Another perspective is that doing such may have got the landowner killed in a heated moment.  The persons he encountered had already shown their disregard for anything other than their own selfish interests.

Landowner is fortunate that it proceeded as calmly as it did.

Best case scenario would have been of landowner had discreetly discovered trespassers and called TWRA or deputies to intervene.

I likely would not have remained calm once they informed me that I was messing up their deer hunting. I'm guessing the OP was armed and that would likely be more than enough to ensure that they would have done as told... Probably one of those "had to be there" times.