Trying to play the Walmart .22 game

Walmart at Walker Springs Road in Knoxville just put out 22lr. I bought 2 of the hundred round CCI for $7.47 each. There were at least 30 of the 100 round packs and they also had 10+/- boxes of the federal 333 round boxes for $17.47.

Thanks.  It just so happened that some of my family was in the store when you posted this.  Got a box of 325 in something (three way conversations are not a place for unnecessary fine points).

Thanks.  It just so happened that some of my family was in the store when you posted this.  Got a box of 325 in something (three way conversations are not a place for unnecessary fine points).

I couldn't remember how many were in the big box. That was my best guess at 300 something. :)

There were two women at the counter when I left, was that them?

I couldn't remember how many were in the big box. That was my best guess at 300 something. :)

There were two women at the counter when I left, was that them?

If one was a on a scooter, yes. (that's my mom & a friend of hers)

First box of ammo in several years.

Edited by R_Bert
  • Like 1

I woke up this morning with buyers remorse. I got a txt at 2:00 in the morning from Midway saying they had the 375 round boxes of CCI Tactical 22LR for $21. So I get up in a fog and make my way to my laptop and hit the purchase button. Well after shipping it came up to $37.50. Being half asleep and only thinking I need more .22 ammo, I bought it and then wake up this morning feeling like an idiot. This morning just for the heck of it I pulled up the link and as I expected, I'm not the only nut job because they were all gone. Thought it would make me feel better, not really

Haven't bought any ammo since i quit wal-mart. I have enough put back so i probably won't have to replenish my stores for a while...

Plus not being able to go to the range as much has helped.

I'm sure the .22 lr ammo shortage will blow over soon. Just takes a bit of time, do away with the demand and the product will slowly re-emerge.

I woke up this morning with buyers remorse. I got a txt at 2:00 in the morning from Midway saying they had the 375 round boxes of CCI Tactical 22LR for $21. So I get up in a fog and make my way to my laptop and hit the purchase button. Well after shipping it came up to $37.50. Being half asleep and only thinking I need more .22 ammo, I bought it and then wake up this morning feeling like an idiot. This morning just for the heck of it I pulled up the link and as I expected, I'm not the only nut job because they were all gone. Thought it would make me feel better, not really

Yep...I am ashamed as I did the same thing...

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Tapatalk

I stopped at the Wal-Mart on Dickerson Rd a few nights ago, and they had several bricks of .22. They also had 8 or 10 of the150 round boxes of 62 grain 5.56. The cabinet looked far more stocked than I had seen in a while. As tempting as it was, I walked away empty-handed.

Edited by TripleDigitRide

VICTORY!!!

Two boxes of Federal .22 LR, 550 rounds each, $23 a pop! HAHAHAHA!

Haven't been able to buy any .22 for damn near a year... it feels so good to finally have some on hand!

And I'm not gonna resell it for 3x the price either! :D

• Like 2
  • 2 weeks later...

Spent 6 hours in line (#1) the day before yesterday at Wal-Mart on Old Fort, because the tea leaves said there was 40 boxes of CCI Stinger coming in. Got there at 5 PM, and left at 11 PM, with nary a round of .22 LR in my shopping bag! So disgusted I didn't go back yesterday. And for those that might feel it serves me right... no, I do not, have never sold one single round of .22 LR ammo. I might use some in making a gun deal work, or trade some for some other caliber of ammo that I need... but, I do not sell my ammo.

So, to play the devil's advocate... let's say I had gotten three boxes of Federal 550 round bulk HP...and that I decided to sell it. What would be a fair price to compensate me for the 2 hours in-line waiting time for each box, and reimburse me for the $23 plus tax I would have paid for each box? Then there's the convenience factor to the buyer....like milk and bread cost more at the convenience store. than it does at Kroger or Publix. Throw in the scarcity factor...and it becomes understandable that those selling some of their ammo to a friend, shouldn't be asked to let it go for WM prices. We all saw scarcity take gasoline prices to the $4 a gallon level just a few years ago. So, even though I "do not" sell my .22 LR ammo, I can see where some "individuals" selling might come up with their selling price. I hope there is plenty for all of us before too long... so that we don't have to feel guilty about shooting a lot, and the prices come back down to a decent level.

That price thing coming down to a reasonable level may be a pipe dream. Remember the sugar shortage took candy bars and soft drinks from a nickle a piece to where they are today! Ditto for gasoline prices. Just my 10 cents worth...I wrote too much for it to be 2 cents worth.

Spent 6 hours in line (#1) the day before yesterday at Wal-Mart on Old Fort, because the tea leaves said there was 40 boxes of CCI Stinger coming in. Got there at 5 PM, and left at 11 PM, with nary a round of .22 LR in my shopping bag! So disgusted I didn't go back yesterday. And for those that might feel it serves me right... no, I do not, have never sold one single round of .22 LR ammo. I might use some in making a gun deal work, or trade some for some other caliber of ammo that I need... but, I do not sell my ammo.

So, to play the devil's advocate... let's say I had gotten three boxes of Federal 550 round bulk HP...and that I decided to sell it. What would be a fair price to compensate me for the 2 hours in-line waiting time for each box, and reimburse me for the $23 plus tax I would have paid for each box? Then there's the convenience factor to the buyer....like milk and bread cost more at the convenience store. than it does at Kroger or Publix. Throw in the scarcity factor...and it becomes understandable that those selling some of their ammo to a friend, shouldn't be asked to let it go for WM prices. We all saw scarcity take gasoline prices to the $4 a gallon level just a few years ago. So, even though I "do not" sell my .22 LR ammo, I can see where some "individuals" selling might come up with their selling price. I hope there is plenty for all of us before too long... so that we don't have to feel guilty about shooting a lot, and the prices come back down to a decent level.

That price thing coming down to a reasonable level may be a pipe dream. Remember the sugar shortage took candy bars and soft drinks from a nickle a piece to where they are today! Ditto for gasoline prices. Just my 10 cents worth...I wrote too much for it to be 2 cents worth.

Here's your devil's advocate. If you were a .22 reseller and if you spent six hours waiting in line to try to buy .22 ammo to resell you deserve nothing but scorn and ridicule. Standing in line sniping ammo to resell shouldn't be a profit industry. If resellers hadn't been standing in line the guy who really needed the ammo might have been able to buy from the store instead of being subject to the greed of people with a surplus of free time to stand in line.
  • Like 1

I was in Walmart last night at 9ish to Christmas shop with my daughter. I went to see if they had any rifled slugs for my new 12 gauge, and they did (thanks goodness!) and I bought two boxes and left two boxes for the next guy.They had a ton of ammo in the case, all pistol and rifle calibers seemed to be well stocked. I didn't see .22, but didn't expect to. I don't know how much is left but there was plenty of most of it. This was at the Smyrna location.

Here's your devil's advocate. If you were a .22 reseller and if you spent six hours waiting in line to try to buy .22 ammo to resell you deserve nothing but scorn and ridicule. Standing in line sniping ammo to resell shouldn't be a profit industry. If resellers hadn't been standing in line the guy who really needed the ammo might have been able to buy from the store instead of being subject to the greed of people with a surplus of free time to stand in line.

I stood in line for six hours because I needed the ammo. I was number one in line. If, any .22 ammo had come in, I would have gotten some. But... none, not one round came in. There is a shortage on up the pipeline somewhere. Believe me, I felt your frustration after waiting so long. I, like everyone else, would like to be able to just walk into Wal Mart and leisurely buy all of the .22LR I want off of the shelves. Unfortunately, we have to work at it to get the .22 ammo these days. Everyone has surplus time these days...just check the traffic at all times of the day... it's hectic! If everyone were at work, there wouldn't be that much traffic all day long.

I understand your frustration, but your last sentence above labeled everyone standing in line as "resellers". While I feel there probably are a few, I feel most are just like me...wanting some .22 to take home, so they don't feel guilty when they shoot a few rounds. I buy some and shoot some. Hope you're able to be number one in line before long, and are able to score three big boxes of .22LR of your choice.

WM is tricky. If I absolutely needed 22, I would be outside Academy at 7am on Monday, Wednesday and Friday.

If it were life or death, 6am.

I guess it's fess up time. What I want, and what I need, are probably two different things! Been that way most of my life...and probably the same for some of you also. But, boy oh howdy...when we want it, we want it bad, don't we! Just read the last lead plant in the US closed down...couldn't afford to do the millions of dollars of EPA requirements required by the Obama Administration. Said they knew it was coming...and that's the reason the military was buying up all of the ammo. But .22LR too??? Before this is over...if it ever is, we may wish we could buy .22s at the re-seller's price! I sure wish it were better!