My Local Range ammo gouging ?

They have a decent supply of .45 and 9 mm ammo. Most of it is Tennessee cartridge. I went there to shoot my RIA .45 and I took my own ammo. I asked the counter gut about his prices and he told me that his best price on .45 was Tennessee Cartridge at $ 21.00 per 50 but there is a $6.00 brass charge if you buy it to take home, not to shoot on the range. I don't re-load but I made sure to pick up every piece of brass I could that I fired. I managed to pick up 75. Never heard of a "brass charge" before. Anyone else ?

That is new to me. You buy the ammo to shoot, then if you take it home there is a surcharge or if you pick up the brass there is a surcharge, nice little racket. I can understand not selling ammo unless you are going to use it at the range, but a surcharge that is just BS. I would bring my own ammo, shoot it pick up the brass and since I don't reload throw it away or find another range.

speaking of racket, I wonder how many people bring their own ammo in and don't pickup their brass?? wonder how much extra cash they have coming in from that source??  I am all for capitalism, but if they have to charge people to buy and leave the range without shooting, they should sell exclusively to people that are there to shoot and not walk-in customers...

All this is the very reason I donot  go to a range to shoot.

Unless it is to meet a group and have fun, then I bring my own.

Since most of my ammo is reloaded by me, it is fired more than once and if

I dont get it all picked up no loss on my end.

Don't know the specifics to this range, but some ranges are still having to deal with the shortage.  They want people to shoot at their range and try to have enough ammo on site for shooters that are actually using the range.  I think this is more of a 'use it here it is cheaper' policy.....not a 'brass' charge.  It sounds like they have very little markup to encourage use of their range.

• Like 1

speaking of racket, I wonder how many people bring their own ammo in and don't pickup their brass?? wonder how much extra cash they have coming in from that source??  I am all for capitalism, but if they have to charge people to buy and leave the range without shooting, they should sell exclusively to people that are there to shoot and not walk-in customers...

Nevermind. CHances R beat me to it.

Edited by Raoul

It's only "gouging" if you can't readily buy elsewhere and are forced to pay his ammo "core charge" and double retail for accessories.

I understand from the thread, he is the only act in town (Millington) and apparently his business model is to "get all you can"

If he's been in business for a while, it's working...but I am curious what his repeat and referral percentages look like (excluding range customers)

How big is Millington? I can't see a huge under-informed / un-educated population base to pillage over the long-term.