Proof pretty much the 22 ammo thing is about over

Guest TankerHC

Everything or Anything weapons... whatever their dumb name is in Brentwood has 500,000,000 rounds f .22lr.... they have it. Of course they want $65 for a bulk pack of 500... but they do have it. I ordered 2000 rounds at pre panic prices from Gander Mountain 2 nights ago. The Carnival workers are still camping Walmarts and going to flea markets though... So Wally Mart is still hit or miss depending on the Gypsy's

I don't know them and never been in their store, but I'm kinda thinking I hope they choke on 'em

They were extremely reasonable when they first opened.. like the 1st day. They had ammo at .60 a round, vs $1 a round like everybody else... the next day, I went back for more, and the owner got snotty with me and said he sold it to me too cheap... it was $1.25 a round the next day.... So they are like every other gun store... over priced. I can't see them staying in business. 

Guest TankerHC
Was in a place last week that had six boxes of 325. Wasn't marked so I asked how much. ...45 bucks each. He and I just kinda looked at each other then he said " I know, it's the problem that we paid for them. If we sell them for anything less we will be losing and at normal prices we lose big on them". I suspect there are a lot more out there stuck in the same boat but not going to just admit it like this guy did. A lot of small dealers are eventually going to have to take a hit to cut losses. Every day that ammo is losing value. That 45 dollar box of subsonic is going to be worth about 13 bucks. ...or just shoot it.

Sent from my SPH-L720 using Tapatalk 2

That's how the system, works... that is what keeps it in check. Walmart buys at wholesale, sells at resell, carnie resells higher than retail, gun store sells above carnie "retail"... that ammo has been through 3-4 times by the time the end user buys it. This is what gives capitalism a bad name for the libs... however, in the end, it is short term gain. The low hanging fruit does not grow back fast enough. Eventually it will come full circle. Thats why I am patient, and don't stand in the lines at Wally.

• Like 1

I don't think it is a localized thing. I live in S.E. Mississippi and this whole year I saw 22lr and 22wmr at a wally world the day before Thanksgiving with a limit of 1 box per caliber 3 box total limit. We have regular pistol and rifle ammo most of the time. I saw and bought 3 boxes of cheap thunderbolts at $29 tax included in Alabama in May, the lady at Wally world said it was their 1st shipment of bulk 22 for the year. It ain't over not by a long shot. It wouldn't surprise me if it took 3-5 years for it to come back around. I hope I am wrong.

Edited by Dirtshooter

Well, working at wal-mart had it's advantages. I knew what and when ammo came in on a truck. I have seen bulk .22 bricks at wal-mart. But believe me, they didn't last all that long when I was working for Wal-mart. It's worse than black friday madness.

I went to Academy in Dalton, GA this morning. I got there about 5 minutes before opening, and there were about 15 guys there waiting. It was a very polite, single filed line walking to the gun counter; at least two different guys insisted that another person should be ahead of them. I guess everyone is more polite when you know everyone else is a gun owner. They had a cylinder-shaped bulk pack that was sold out first, then Federal 525 boxs for $18, and 100 round Mini-Mags for $7.49 (limit 2). Only the Mini-Mags remained after the initial opening rush.

Was at the Hermitage Walmart yesterday at 10:30 am to buy paint supplies and of course strolled over to the ammo case. They had about 10 boxes of CCI Stingers on the shelf, $5.99 per 50. I bought one box, could've bought three, but not sure how Stingers will shoot in my pistol(s). They had a good stack of .17HMR boxes on the shelf there too at $14 a box. The new norm price I guess. Seems .17 were going for $11 about a year or so ago...can't remember for sure.

The manager said the gypsies were still lurking at 7am most days, but they're slowing down a bit too.

I'd be curious to hear from the dealers if .22 rifles and pistol sales have declined in the past year due to ammo unavailability. I for one have no desire to buy any more .22 firearms at this point.

Was at the Hermitage Walmart yesterday at 10:30 am to buy paint supplies and of course strolled over to the ammo case. They had about 10 boxes of CCI Stingers on the shelf, $5.99 per 50. I bought one box, could've bought three, but not sure how Stingers will shoot in my pistol(s). They had a good stack of .17HMR boxes on the shelf there too at $14 a box. The new norm price I guess. Seems .17 were going for $11 about a year or so ago...can't remember for sure.

The manager said the gypsies were still lurking at 7am most days, but they're slowing down a bit too.

I'd be curious to hear from the dealers if .22 rifles and pistol sales have declined in the past year due to ammo unavailability. I for one have no desire to buy any more .22 firearms at this point.

We're selling quite a a few .22s maybe a little down from what we normally expect this time of year however sales all around are down.