2014 Off Season Support Group Deer Season Thread

Guest Bonedaddy

I was wrong. Only had 10 slugs. Thank God it hit good on #7, leavin' 3, in case I can't get anymore before then. I'll have the trusty ol'Smith model 28 with me, though. It might wind up being the best one for the job, anyhoo.

I'll be sitting in the stand with my wife (hopefully dry) for the first time. I talked her into taking hunters safety a month or so ago and bought her a Remington 700 in .243 that I have now spent way to much money on haha. It's a sweet shooter than and pretty to boot.

We have the agreement that I get the first shot on the big buck though. :pleased:

• Like 2

Thinking about the upcoming weather and deer season, I realize that I have a "need" in my collection... a bolt gun that I don't mind dragging out into the weather. A Winchester 70 Extreme Weather in 30-06 or 338WM is now at the top of my "need" list. Hmmm...

Bass Pro is open till 10 Batman, run down there and pick one up real quick  :up:

Ooh... tough one. I mean, I'd like to take my .44 Marlin. I'd also like to take my .45 Rossi. Either of the .45-70s would work, as would my .458 (upto a point) My Enfield hasn't seen much time out for a while, but nor has my AR.

Weatherby .270 it is then! I've got great spot that could give me a shot (famous last words, eh?) anywhere from 50 to 350yds & I've been chasing the same big old 10 pointer there for the last 3 years.
I'll be carry the freshly built .458.

I just got back from Missouri trying to chase some white tails, and they haven't started rutting there yet. The winds were 30+ mph and 60 degrees while I was there so that didn't make it easier.

Hoping for some movement on the he deer this weekend!

I'll be carry the freshly built .458.

I just got back from Missouri trying to chase some white tails, and they haven't started rutting there yet. The winds were 30+ mph and 60 degrees while I was there so that didn't make it easier.

Hoping for some movement on the he deer this weekend!

I have a lot of family in Missouri and my cousin told me last week that they hadn't started rutting either. I figured they'd be full in by now. But my other cousins have killed some massive bucks already, makes me sick! HA HA

• Like 1

I have a lot of family in Missouri and my cousin told me last week that they hadn't started rutting either. I figured they'd be full in by now. But my other cousins have killed some massive bucks already, makes me sick! HA HA

Yeah my brother in law shot a monster 10 Monday evening out of my stand...I left Monday morning lol

Bass Pro is open till 10 Batman, run down there and pick one up real quick  :up:

Oooh, temptation. :)

Well, between the M1 Garand that was delivered yesterday and the TGO billet AR build so close to Christmas, I've practically got one foot in the doghouse already.

MUST RESIST, lol
  • Like 1

Oooh, temptation. :)

Well, between the M1 Garand that was delivered yesterday and the TGO billet AR build so close to Christmas, I've practically got one foot in the doghouse already.

MUST RESIST, lol

I hear ya, my wife has been keeping an eye on me when I'm on the computer. Have no idea why she'd be worried about me buying something the week before gun season opened up  :rofl:

P.S. Jealous about the M1 Garand too Congrats!!

Edited by rugerla1

What yardage are you comfortable shooting a recurve out to?  I just know nothing about recurves.  

15 to 18 is my favorite range.

I've only been shooting for a year.

I had to ALMOST shot opportunities where they were TOO close and on the wrong side and I couldn't move without getting busted.

Haven't given up yet....but am looking into getting into a tree at least occasionally.

I just sighted in the Williams Foolproof sight on my 1894 Marlin 44 mag that I thought I already had sighted in. I may take it, or an 1899 Savage saddle ring carbine in 303 Savage if the weather looks promising. If it looks like rain, my rain rifle is an old sporterized Spanish Mauser in 7x57. It shoots about three inch groups at 100 yards, but I only have about $60 in it scoped, loaded, and ready to go, so I don't mind getting it wet too bad.

Man, I never thought a pistol cartridge fired from a rifle could recoil as hard as that little Marlin!

Edited by gregintenn

That dang north wind is rough. I went this morning until 9:00 and didn't see anything. I usually stay out at least till 11:00. I only heard about 3 shots this morning, and that's strange for opening morning. All the shots were at least 2 miles away.

Same story here in Macon county.

That dang north wind is rough. I went this morning until 9:00 and didn't see anything. I usually stay out at least till 11:00. I only heard about 3 shots this morning, and that's strange for opening morning. All the shots were at least 2 miles away.

I'm concerned about the wind playing a factor too, but I can't help it, I'll be out there anyway just like you were. Maybe this evening will be better?