How to load a bullet when there is no specific load data for it

Curious as to what you guys think about this- So, I'm set up to reload 9mm as well as .223 Rem. In each of these cases, over the past several months I have gathered various bullets of each caliber. Question is..... Many (if not most) of these bullets are not referenced specifically in the load manuals I have at home or am looking at online. The manuals may have a different brand bullet, or a different type bullet, like JHP instead of FMJ, but it's rare that I see exact matches. I've researched the topic a bit, but was curious what you all do in these situations- when you have plenty of load data, but your bullets are not included. Do you simply find as close a match as you can, and go from there? Do you gather as much info as you can from different sources, and take an average of the starting loads from all the different sources, and go from there?

I do as mentioned above.

And I have e-mailed the specific powder companies (you can find the contact info at their websites) and asked specific questions about specific bullets and powder combinations, and for suggestions.

Alliant has been particularly helpful.

They even provided load data for the 9mm 147 gr lead FP I wanted to handload that wasn't yet listed on their website, nor in any manuals or websites I had searched.

Not all bullet makers do but most do.

What bullet do you have OP? We have tons of people who are knowledgeable here that can give you a decent starting point.

Well, for example, I have several hundred 115 gr  JHP Winchester bullets for 9mm.  There's no load data in the manuals I have, or that I have seen online for that specific bullet.  Thats what I was getting at-  if you don't find the specific bullet in the data for recommended starting loads, etc,  whether the rule of thumb is to find a bullet(s) that have as close to the same characteristics as you have (ie, 115gr, JHP) and analyze what the starting and max loads for those different brands are, and base your test loads off of that info.

Well, for example, I have several hundred 115 gr  JHP Winchester bullets for 9mm.  There's no load data in the manuals I have, or that I have seen online for that specific bullet.  Thats what I was getting at-  if you don't find the specific bullet in the data for recommended starting loads, etc,  whether the rule of thumb is to find a bullet(s) that have as close to the same characteristics as you have (ie, 115gr, JHP) and analyze what the starting and max loads for those different brands are, and base your test loads off of that info.

I personally have handloaded 115 gr 9mm JHP from several manufactures using "generic" data for them.

As always I start low and slowly work up watching for proper function, accuracy, and signs of pressure.

As recommended a chronograph would be very useful.

Be mindful of OAL.

If you have access to any factory Winchester JHP in 9mm, that may be a useful OAL reference. Maybe someone here at TGO has the info..

Good luck to you.

where it gets tricky is when there is no data at all for what you want to do and you can't even use a close match for a starting point.  But the answer is still the same, make them weak and build up slow. 

9mm is a tricky round due to a little bit of OAL trouble (seating too deep) gives a lot of pressure, and when you combine that with a rich variety of usable bullets it can get hairy.  The good news is that if your gun can handle a +P round and you are in the normal data section, you have a built in margin of safety.   

For a totally unknown 9mm that you just can't find a close match to --- load it to the max OAL that will chamber in your gun reliably and use the weakest starting load for the same bullet weight you can find, and build up from there.  

If you are new to a caliber, I would stick to one type bullet until very comfortable with the results.  Take good notes to reference in the future as well.  You will get a lot of variations for even one specific load with different manuals as well.  I load very few 'hot' loads as I depend on factory rounds for SD/EDC.  So anything else will be more than adequate to punch a hole in paper as long as it cycles your gun.  The lighter load beats you and the gun up less.