XD40sc vs. XD9sc

Guest Disney

Which one would you choose for a carry weapon?

I really think I want one of these. Hard part is deciding which caliber. I've always said I wouldn't carry anything smaller than a .40, but ammo prices and the weight difference are steering me towards the 9mm.

I have been carrying my Kimber SLE (Commander sized) for the last year and I do love the hell out of it, but I keep finding myself in situations where I wish I had a smaller, more easily concealed firearm. Enter the XD.

I am not buying this for target practice. I'm not buying it as a toy. This will be on my whenever my travel permits. I plan to carry SOB IWB with it.

And never fear, my love for the 1911 is still strong as always!!! I've found a very nice Dan Wesson Commander sized, bobtailed 10mm 1911 at Hero-Gear that i'll be buying very soon. :crazy:

• Replies 20
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Which one would you choose for a carry weapon?

I really think I want one of these. Hard part is deciding which caliber. I've always said I wouldn't carry anything smaller than a .40, but ammo prices and the weight difference are steering me towards the 9mm.

I only respond because I'm pretty sure I want a SA SC also.

I'm thinking 9mm for me, because I already have a 9mm weapon. I kind of want to have 2 weapons in each caliber I seem to have wound up with, .357/.38, 9mm, .22, and 12 gauge. (oops, I already have 3 .38 babies, forgot about my derringer).

While I'm not (too) paranoid or a bigtime "survivalist" I do still want to stockpile a reasonable cache of ammo should the general societal SHTF, and just don't want to have to invest in 6-10 types of ammo; plus would like the redundancy of two weapons for each caliber.

I realize that only having about 8 weapons makes me a firearms piker by some standards around here :):)

And, as you mentioned, I like to shoot, and 9mm is still about as cheap as one can go for a lethally "good enough" round (can we leave it at that, folks?).

BUT, if I already had a .40 I liked, and no 9mm, would probably go with that.

Oh yeah, and I'll have to pick up a second shotgun at some point to complete the "plan".

- OS

If you already have a .40 stick with it...

But this whole mentality of "not carrying anything smaller than a .40" is pretty silly.

Most European service pistols are chambered in 9mm for good reason. Its effective. Euro's dont have the whole mentality 'bigger is always better.'

Each cartridge does something better than the other.

I recently traded my .45 to consolidate calibers to .40. It makes it easier to order ammo in bulk for practice, and you can have the same carry ammo in both weapons.

I agree on sticking with a couple weapons of the same caliber for ammo stockpiling reasons. If the SHTF and one of the guns in a certain caliber that you own malfunctions, then you've got another with plenty ammo to go with it. I also agree that the .40 has better stopping power than the 9mm. That being said, I'd go with the .40 myself.

Guest EasilyObsessed

Id recommend shooting both before you decide. I personally dont like the subcompact 40 guns, be it an XD, M&P, or Glock. I cant get good consistent followup shots with the snappiness of the 40 in a small platform. On the other hand, in 9mm (or 45ACP) I find followup shots are consistent and accurate. YMMV. Im more worried about shot placement than I am worried about "stopping power".

Guest bkelm18

The advantage of .40SW over 9mm is really marginal when it comes to "stopping power". Shoot both and get the one you shoot better. Me personally it was the XD9sc. The .40 is too snappy and harder for follow up shots.

Thanks for all the replies!!!

I had thought people would steer me towards the .40, while I was kinda leaning towards the 9mm.

My first experience with a .40sc was with Easilyobsessed's G27. It didn't have the grip extention and it was impossible to manage a decent follow up shot in under 5 seconds. It was really like a greased up bull frog in my hands.

I then got to shoot a friends XD40sc and I shot it very well. It had the pinky extension on it though which i'm sure helped immensely. I could shoot it very well, both quickly and accureately. I then shot a XD9sc and was just as accurate, but in my mind, I was faster shooting the 9mm than the .40. A side by side would be nice.

AS it stands, I think i'll pick up an XD9sc and call it a day.

• 2 months later...
Guest HexHead
Id recommend shooting both before you decide. I personally dont like the subcompact 40 guns, be it an XD, M&P, or Glock. I cant get good consistent followup shots with the snappiness of the 40 in a small platform. On the other hand, in 9mm (or 45ACP) I find followup shots are consistent and accurate. YMMV. Im more worried about shot placement than I am worried about "stopping power".

+1, I could have written that myself. Had a .40, hated it and wouldn't get another in that caliber.

Go with a 9mm, the practice ammo is much cheaper and with the newer defense rounds available, especially in +P or even +P+, the .40 really loses it's advantage.

You've already decided, but I'll apply the icing to the cake.

I carry an XD 9 SubCompact whenever it's situationally and clothing appropriate. I never feel underarmed, and I don't fret about reliability.

I think you've made a fine choice. Congratulations. :hyper:

Guest abailey362

congrats on the new addition. I currently am a .40 fan, which is all i have in handguns right now (XDm, Sig P229, and Kahr CW40). I do agree that the .40 is snappier, but with practice I have come to compensate my reaction, and to focus more on the front sight more in between shots. It took me a long time, and shooting IDPA with the .40 helped lots as it forces you to focus on the follow ups in a timed, pressured situation.

that being said, i've owned plenty of 9mm and there is nothing wrong with that round either