Shoulder Hoslter Question

I tried a shoulder holster once. Since I was just trying it out, I didn't want to spend much. So, I got an inexpensive ($25) nylon rig. Luckily I didn't spend too much, because I found it a bit uncomfortable.

Someone on a leather working forum told me that a good one made to fit makes a lot of difference, but who wants to drop $200+ on a rig they may not like? Plus, leather creaks and that seems like it'd get you made pretty easy.

$50 is a lot of money to me to drop on something I don't know I'd like and may not be able to resell. My recommendation is to find one in a store that will let you try it on first. Edited by BigK
  • Like 1

Very few people, stick with shoulder carry.  It is not a versatile carry method for most folks and does not conceal as easy as OWB for example.  It has a tendency to flop around unless secured to the belt.  Everyone's body is shaped differently making off the shelf shoulder holsters made for everyone a product that fits no one just right.  Do some searches on the net before buying one as they are expensive.  You will learn, that they seem cool at first but will find its way to collecting dust on the shelf.

I wear a shoulder holster often in the winter, though mine preferred shoulder holster is over 30 years old, well broken in, and was passed down to me from my grandfather. He often wore it off duty to carry his BUG(S&W j-frame) and I carry it essentially the exact same with the same j-frame. I recently acquired a galco jackass to use with my p229/p226s but it takes a heavier coat to cover than I have been able to wear around this mild winter.

I use a shoulder holster quite a bit during the winter. Although I have practiced deployment from it quite a bit, it does take some getting used to. Mine is a horizontal draw, and I'm not crazy about the fact that I'm muzzle-sweeping the whole room behind me (albeit concealed) each time I wear it. Even so, horizontal carry is usually considered much faster than vertical carry.

Definitely not for everyone.

I use an old black military rig I had in the service. I see them for 20 bucks or so, and while they ain't stylish or concealable, they hold my p220, p225, ruger mk 1, and colt scout secure and fairly easy to get to. The belt strap on the bottom, and the around the chest strap means it isn't bouncing around when 4 wheelering also.

I use an old black military rig I had in the service. I see them for 20 bucks or so, and while they ain't stylish or concealable, they hold my p220, p225, ruger mk 1, and colt scout secure and fairly easy to get to. The belt strap on the bottom, and the around the chest strap means it isn't bouncing around when 4 wheelering also.

If you wear that for concealed carry you could put your HCP badge on the visible chest strap. :)

Here's one with belly strap, very discreet too. :)

144587_ts.jpg

- OS

Edited by Oh Shoot
  • Like 2

We used to the use the Bianchi X15 holsters for 1911's, Ruger SA's, and "N" frame smiths... There are (...as others have said...) two problems with them...The first is that they are uncomfortable, the second is that they are hard to cover up...

We used to use them when hunting; so covering them up and being discrete wasn't an issue...   The tanker type holsters (...across the chest strap with gun on chest or side...) is a much better and cheaper solution in my opinion... They are much more comfortable (...for me at least...) because the belt attachment takes some of the weight of the gun off the shoulder strap...

The only "comfortable" shoulder holster i ever had was for a "j frame smith"... That bein said; A shoulder holster for a "j frame" is an elegant (...and expensive...) solution for a simple problem...

The summary for this little ramble:  Try a shoulder holster before ya buy one.... Borrow one from an older buddy who has tried one and doesnt like it... Don't try a cheap one; they are uncomfortable to begin with... Try a "real" leather one with good leather shoulder straps... My bet is it will take about 45 minutes to an hour to get uncomfortable...

For me, IWB and OWB concealed carry belt and holsters are a much better solution unless ya have a very big, heavy semi-auto or revolver to carry....

Non shoulder holster carryin leroy

The only time I wear a shoulder rig is when I'm going to be in a vehicle for most of the day, it is more comfortable than belt carry & easier to access in an emergency while seated/belted in.

Other than that I really don't use that method of carry, however that said the Galco "Miami Classic" is well worth the extra coin over cheap nylon or surplus rigs, the Galco's are very good harnesses & holsters with plenty of adjustment points to make them comfortable for extended wear, I've been using the design's original incarnation (Jackass rig) for 25+ some odd years with no complaints.

I have used and made several shoulder rigs for others.  Like any method of carry, they have a niche to fill, but my opinion is that they do not function well as a primary carry method for most people.  The rigs I made have primarily been used by pilots flying in the Middle East because they are the most convenient and accessible option while strapped into the cockpit of an aircraft.  If they crash and are pinned in the aircraft, they want to have easy access to the pistol should enemy forces come snooping around.  I have made others for large frame handguns that are used by hunters who want their firearm accessible in the wilderness and don't want to worry about getting the gun hooked on a tree branch or the barrel dipped into the mud.  In both of these uses, the shoulder rig is ideal because it can be worn over other clothing and gear, plus it keeps large frame firearms off of your belt.

For daily civilian or law enforcement carry, they are not as useful - at least that's my personal experience.  To conceal them, you always have to wear a jacket or open shirt.  They tend to flop around more unless you use tie downs.  Horizontal carry is a pain for larger handguns.  Some folks find the weight to be uncomfortable on the neck and shoulders over time.  I have contemplated making myself a rig for a very small-frame handgun that I could wear under a dress shirt (and over my undershirt) in cases where other more easily accessible carry methods are not a viable option, but again, that is a very unique niche for the rig to fill.

All that said, I think that a shoulder rig is like any other holster option and you get what you pay for.  Uncle Mike's holsters are relatively inexpensive and the quality is not exceptional.  They tend to be more generic fit, so the ease of access and overall fit can be sketchy.  If you are seriously considering a shoulder rig, my advice is to break down and pay for a nice high-quality rig.  Try to find a used one on eBay if you don't want to drop the big bucks on a new one.  I am obviously partial to leather ones, especially for the harness because the leather will break in over time, flex more, and fit the contours of your body.  During my law enforcement days, I looked at some nylon ones and found the quality to be lacking and the narrow nylon straps to be very uncomfortable.  I bought a Galco rig, tried it a couple of times, and threw it in a box.   For my money, I would look for a high quality belt holster of some sort.  So take my perspective for what it is worth, your needs and experience may vary.   :)

Edited by East_TN_Patriot

Carried my military Beretta M9 (Model 92)  for three tours in Iraq in a Galco Miami Classic shoulder holster. Very comfortable. Concealment not an issue. 

Have a Galco Miami Classic for my 1911 and have worn it a couple of times under a sport coat or suit jacket, as conceal ability is an issue. Not for everything, not for all the time.

Cheaply made rigs are a waste of time and money as they don't ride with you.

Edited by QuietDan

for the past 35 years i have worn a shoulder holster at least three days a week on the job. my first one was a bianchi for the colt detective special.  now used for my j-frame.   what i have found out is you need to buy a good leather made one.  a cheap nylon will not wear well and you will feel it before the day is out. you want one that the straps cross/ride below your neck.  if they ride on the back of your neck or close to it you will feel it quick.  i now used the galco miami classis and a old jackass rig that i got in 86.  a good shoulder holster will wear well all day/night long and you will not know you have it on.   it is not hard to wear one if you dress around the rig.  winter is easy, any coat, vest, large shirt will cover the rig.  summer is a little harder.  suit coat covers well when in court or out on interviews.  all other times i wear a fitted summer shirt that is a little bigger than my normal size.  it the wind is blowing hard i just button one or two of the lower button.  the big problem with them is balancing them out.  you want the same weight on both sides.  a glock 27 on one side and two glock 22 mags on the other size rides well.  a glock 23 one side and two glock 22 mags other side rides okay.  a glock 22 one side and two glock 22 mags other side gets heavy after 10 hours.  some of the problems i seen is that some people like to have the gun/mags ride to low, all most on top of their belt.  others like to have the rig ride to high, jam under their arm pits.  you got to find the sweet spot in the middle, just above the love handles and a little below the arm pit fat.  most over weight peoples don't wear a shoulder holster well.  i know this because several years ago i got hurt and could not work out for six months. i gain 10 pounds plus and it was hard to wear my shoulder holster until i lost the weight.  is a shoulder holster for everyone?  no it is not. it does take some time to get use to it and to find that "sweet spot".  but i know if you buy a cheap nylon rig you will not wear it long.