Remembering Shannon (Marswolf) Elder

TGO David

Shall we observe a moment of silence for Mars on Tuesday, September 23rd?  

78 members have voted

1. 1. Shall we observe a moment of silence for Mars on Tuesday, September 23rd?

• Yes
    • No

I really am at a loss... I find myself in a strange situation when

I read this thread. It is hard for me to fathom how someone I had

never met in the flesh (and sadly now never will) can make me feel

as though I have lost a friend.

I have always enjoied his wit, as well as his knowledge. It was always a

joy to look through the "new posts" and see where he had added his comments. I seemed to have a smile on my face when I would "click" on

those threads first.

My thoughts and prayers go out to his family, and his friends. I am truly

sorrow for your loss.

-Mike

• Replies 133
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest Steelharp

I always hate it when someone makes the last transition. Not for them, for us left behind. I never met him, but as all of us, felt as though I knew him through the "family" here.

You will be missed...

Guest Boomhower

Wow.....I truely do not know what to say. I am very sorrowful for never getting to meet Shannon. Godspeed and rest in peace Mars. This board has lost a hugh founding part that helped shape and design the early days, and months....Gone but never forgotten my friend, never forgotten.

Just now ran across this notice, he was a good solid part of this forum. I can only imagine that he was a great guy in real life, my condolences to those that he has left behind.

This is truely sad news. Like many others have already said, I too had never met Mars, but I feel like he was a part of my family. I always looked forward to his posts. His wisdom, wit, experiences, philosophies, knowledge all were a key part of what goes on here. While this board will go on, it will never quite be the same without Mars.

Mars, may God bless you and your family.

Guest Boomhower

Memory story:

Mars was the selling point of my second pistol purchase. I was looking for something to put in my pocket, and as we all know, he was a lover of his Beretta's and his Kel-Tec P3AT. So after several conversations with Mars, I bought a P3AT and haven't looked back.....thanks for the guidance Mars!!! ;)

Guest mikedwood

My thoughts and prayers to his family and friends as well. I never got to meet him even though he didn't like Glocks he was perfection on a firearms related forum.

Edited by mikedwood
changed

Memory story:

I remember going to lunch with Mars on one of my visits home. It was about a year and a half ago, he'd just gotten back from South America. He confided in me that he was getting a little too old to go running around like that..he'd apparently gotten into a little fracas and when they got back to base camp, he'd discovered a bullet hole in is his pants where it had passed through the fabric.

I told him, he was dead wrong..he wasn't too old..when he got too old, the bullet would have gone through some of him too.

Guest Verbal Kint

He was an elusive SOB, which added to his mystique, just the way he liked it. But here are a few posts that Mars made containing photos of/about himself. Figured we all might like to see them again. :)

I think I have a more resent photo of me here in a place or two. But here is an early one at Daytona beach before we discovered I had terrible vision and you could still drive on the beach. I just thought the world was a blurry place.

I'm showing off my six-pack. Now I just drink it. :P

2361980040_5d64d18daf_o.jpg

Note the Kodak Hawkeye and 8mm Kodak movie case. This was probably taken with either a Kodak Signet 35 or Kodak Flash Bantam. Did I mention my father worked for Eastman Kodak? I have movies of me in the hospital at <1 day old - using photoflood lamps. You cook cook a roast beef with those things. Maybe that's why my eyesight sucked.

That's what I was thinking. This is about 15 years ago wearing my Ninja outfit with a clip in the black rifle.

260607600_e9c5c4d31a_b.jpg

Yes, I was goofing off. :D

I have my draft card up on the front of my shadow box.

2324525297_a741aa3189.jpg

It's the middle card in the front. I need a bigger shadow box.

Issued six days after my 18th birthday.

You are either an adult or not. At 18, you are legally an adult. You can kill and be killed for your country. You can be prosecuted for sleeping with you 17 year old girlfriend. But you can't buy beer and you can't carry a handgun.

This strikes me an extremely unjust.

If you want to argue that the age when you become an adult should be 21, or 25 , or 40, then fine. But don't tell me that you are an adult for some things at 18 but other things at 21. That's just stupid.

Or this one:

2043523986_5174efb78e.jpg

1943 Remington-Rand

Mean looking dude handling it. Notice he has his finger on the trigger - where God intended it to be. ;)

R.I.P. Marswolf :usa:

I never had a chance to meet him, something I think a lot of us would have liked.

His contribution to this board will be greatly missed.

Our Prayers are with his family!

Marswolf memories.

Pulling up to a shoot in Kingsport and seeing rocket launchers and claymore mines near the firing line. Mars had brought a selection of militaria gear to share. Also at that shoot , getting to dig through his travelling gun show. He had brought several tubs of gun gear. I left with a really nice bipod that was tailor made for the .22 I had taken that day. It was like he knew I needed it.

One of my favorite things to do with Mars was to swap recipes. LOL And we both found out that our taste in foods was very similar. I hope he got to try the grilled cheese with mayonaise.

I don't know how many of you know it, but the name Mars has nothing to do with planets or his military background. But rather goes back to a time when Mars would be spelled Marse. He was not real clear on how he came to be called Marse but the name comes from the old south where the word Master was slanged down to be pronounced Marse. Wolf was his old Army call sign or the like.

My family is fixing to sit down to a dinner of hot wings and teryaki rice. In Shannons honor after dinner I am going to go out to look at the mountain. I will sit on the bench and enjoy a nice cold beer and this cigar I have been waiting for the right time to light up.

Sorry to hear this.September has been a bad month.A long time friend of mine died last week,this week my cousin commited suicide and now an internet cohort of sorts has passed.I will miss his What's for Supper and Sitting on the porch watching the thunderstorm posts.