The fn5.7 as a ccw

confederate son

Cons:  It's a full-size handgun, and thus not the easiest thing in the world to conceal.

The terminal effectiveness of the 5.7X28 round is lousy.  Even with the "real" ammo, which you almost certainly can't get, it has a terrible reputation as a fight stopper.  A large number of departments that adopted the P90 had stopped using them. 

Pros:  It holds a bunch of rounds, and has a pretty decent trigger for a service gun.

Verdict:  Not my first choice.  Or in my top 20 choices really. 

Edited by dcloudy777
  • Like 1

Will it fit?

Do you want to lose access to a ~$1000 gun after using it for justifiable self defense at 3'-21'? (it will spend time in the evidence locker) 

Is there anything a expensive 5.7 can do that a cheap fotay won't?

• Like 1
The 5.7 is just a glorified .22mag in a way. It is faster than a .22 mag but not fast enough to yaw and tumble like 5.56.

I dont really consider it that high of a capacity either when you have the xdm9 with 19+1 vs the fiveseven's 20+1.

I think the fiveseven's main advantage is low recoil for elderly or females. I have always thought the 5.7 is a great gun for new shooters

Pro's

Light weight

Accurate

low recoil

high mag capacity 

decent trigger

good ergonomics

cons would be price and possibly terminal ballistics depending on whose reviews you believe.

There is something to be said for low recoil even if your not "elderly or a female (dumb stereotype)"   The majority of self defense shootings involve placing more than one round in the bad guy, even when the good guy is using a "proven manstopper".  There was a good write up about the 5seveN on police one that showed good tumbling from the round.  The reality is pistol rounds suck.  If you look at an analysis of number of people shot with different handgun rounds you will see that one shot stop's are a rare occurrence with any handgun round.  The typical shooting required anywhere from 2-3 rounds in the torso area for incapacitation regardless of caliber or bullet type.  This tells me that there may be some value to being able to get those 3 rounds off as quickly and accurately as possible.  A light recoiling gun assists in doing this.

In the end carry what you want and are comfortable with.  

I almost bought a used 5.7 last year but after comparing to my fnx-9 decided against it. The 5.7 is actually a bit bigger and heavier. The ballistics are much better for 9mm. 20 round magazine or 17 round mag not that big a difference. The only advantage I saw to the 5.7 was recoil and follow up shots. Also 9mm ammo is much cheaper. I like the 5.7 but didn't buy it because of cost of the gun itself and ammo. Overpriced in my opinion.

you may want to check out the Rock Island 22 TCM. Especially if there is any fondness of the 1911 platform. I have one and love it. Also they debuted the single stack commander length model at SHOT this year. My version is the A2 double stack that holds 19. It averages about 2100 fps and the ammo is about $25 a box and is readily available. Plus you can get dies and actually reload this fairly easily once you dial everything in.

I've used the 5.7 as a carry gun and I'd trust my life with it any day.

It's light weight, accurate, follow up shots are super easy and dead accurate, 20 round capacity is a plus, etc.

If you want rounds that are hotter than FNH and Federal, look at Elite Ammunition.

Their ammo will shoot through level 3 body armor (Kevlar).

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro v2.2

I would like to know the pros and cons of this handgun

pros: its freaking awesome.

cons: ammo costs too much for enough practice to make it acceptable for carry for most shooters.  Also, the gun is quite valuable and beating up a $1k+ gun in every day carry is also frowned upon by many.  So basically, the only reason NOT to use it for carry is economics. 

I think you can reload the ammo, making it superior to 22 mag and feasible for practice.  Its probably about like 223 to reload?

I am not sure about the ballistics.  I think the round could be nasty, but not having my own to experiment with, I cant say.  Should be able to make it tumble: I can make 9mm tumble reliably and 45 as well, its not speed, its gyroscopic and aerodynamic stability.  Its not hard to make things unstable, actually.  If nothing else, you can bore out the rifling, a smoothbore WILL tumble :) but odds are you can do it just with load data mixup.

Edited by Jonnin
I have shot the pistol and own a ps90 it is a sweet shooter for sure can load up about any thing you want to shoot for it but reloading it is not like throwing together some 9mm hand loads on the Dillion. Each charge needs to be weighed out and just a little bit less than a grain between min and max loads on a lot of them. The ps90 is a Awsome shooter at 50y and less it is hard to miss your target and you can get multiple rounds on target real fast. My favorite rifle to get out and play with for some fast fun shooting. Does not take long to empty a 50 round mag. Ammo can be expensive and hard to find at times but about every thing is these days.

Jason
The gun craze ammo finding issues are over. I've been finding it in bulk for $20 per 50rds.

As far as beating up the gun, it's basically covered in polymer that's really tough. I've bumped mine around while carrying and still not a scratch on it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro v2.2

you may want to check out the Rock Island 22 TCM. Especially if there is any fondness of the 1911 platform. I have one and love it. Also they debuted the single stack commander length model at SHOT this year. My version is the A2 double stack that holds 19. It averages about 2100 fps and the ammo is about $25 a box and is readily available. Plus you can get dies and actually reload this fairly easily once you dial everything in.

Also they offer a 9mm conversion barrel which the mag will also hold since TCM is the same size dimensionally as 9x19. That's what sold me on this is the versatility. 

• Like 1
  • 2 weeks later...

The FiveseveN has a point of aim that is the point of impact out to 50 meters, not feet, meters. The following is from the FN forum.

The FN 5.7 pistol is constantly maligned or underestimated in many gun forums and articles, often by people who have never experienced shooting the pistol. Subjective comparisons with the .22 magnum or categorization as a sub-par .223 round create confusion about the effectiveness of the FN 5.7.

Enough time has passed after the terrorist attack at Ft. Hood. The shooter, Nidal Malik Hassan, has been arrested, tried and sentenced. The media has moved on. Now we can begin to analyze the impact of the FN 5.7 and address the question of lethality. 

Using SS192 and SS197SR ammunition (common commercial 5.7x28 ammo), several 20-30 round magazines and an FN 5.7 (shooter also had a .357 revolver but did not use it), Hassan killed 13 and wounded 32 people.

Many armchair ballistics expert criticized this result as proof that the FN 5.7 platform is not lethal enough because of the proportion of the fatalities to the wounded. Others have proposed that had Hassan use another type of pistol, 9mm or .45, there would have been more fatalities.

If you look at this Wikipedia link and look at the list of casualties, one can come to a very eye-opening conclusion. 
Fort Hood shooting - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

1. 11 people were shot center-of-mass (COM), one was shot in the stomach and one was shot in the head. All 13 died. All 11 victims who were shot COM did not survive.
2. 3 of the 13 people who died, tried to charge Hassan, but he stopped them with COM shots.
3. The 32 people who were wounded were hit in the arms, legs, hips and shoulders. None of the wounded survivors were shot COM.

The following conclusions can be drawn:
1. The FN 5.7 is a very lethal round CQB because all 11 victims who were shot COM died. No survivors for those hit COM.
2. The FN 5.7 is a real stopper, because 3 tried to charge Hassan at close range and were stopped by COM shots.
3. One of the fatalities was shot in the stomach, and died. The fragmentation of the SS197R round can create a hail of metal shards that can cause serious internal organ damage and bleeding in the stomach.
4. None of the 32 people who were hit in the extremities, hips and shoulders were able to muster a counter-attack because the FN 5.7 must have shattered or broken bones. The high rate of wounded vicitms to fatalities was the direct result of the shooting ability of Hassan (or lack thereof), and not because the 5.7x28 round is not lethal.
5. Sgt. Kimberly Munley (base civilian police), one of the first responders, was immediately disabled with 5.7x28 bullet shrapnels to her wrist and a second 5.7x28 bullet broke her femur. The light 5.7x28 commercial ammo showed that it can shatter large bones due to its velocity
6. According to medical personnel, there was so much blood in the room that it was difficult to get to the victims because the floor became very slippery. One can conclude that the commercial 5.7x28 rounds can fragment or tumble, causing immense blood loss.
7. It took five bullets (which I assume was a 9 mm) from Sgt Mark Todd to stop Hasan. And he survived his wounds (no available info on where he was hit, except that one of the bullets paralyzed Hasan).

In conclusion:
1. The FN 5.7 is definitely a very lethal round. 100% fatality for COM shots.
2. The FN 5.7 is a man-stopper. Three military men tried to charge Hasan, and all three were stopped.
2. The FN 5.7 is a very incapacitating round, if extremities are hit, because it is powerful enough to break the femur (which is the largest bone in the body)
3. The fragmentation or tumbling effect of commercial ammo can cause a lot of blood loss.

The FN 5.7 is a very effective weapon. It is as effective as, or arguably more effective, than any military or civilian pistols in the market.

It is unfortunate that the jihadist Hassan used this weapon against U.S. soldiers.
  • Like 1

It's beem a while since I was there, but Phil at Belshire Hardware/Gun had one. I was tempted, but alas...no money.

HAD is key here. That is where I got my first look at one. Then decided to buy, and they turned into unicorns. Last I saw Lebanon Gun Shop had one. They keep ammo stocked there too.

Last year I Finally found one for less than a million bucks on gunbroker and bought it. I got the TCM/9mm combo. Funny part is I've only shot one mag of 9mm thru it. The TCM round just makes you smile when it goes boom. If anyone is ever in the market for one, I will let them shoot it and that usually sells them. Accuracy is amazing, recoil is obsolete, and like I said, it makes a LOT of noise!

HAD is key here. That is where I got my first look at one. Then decided to buy, and they turned into unicorns. Last I saw Lebanon Gun Shop had one. They keep ammo stocked there too.

Last year I Finally found one for less than a million bucks on gunbroker and bought it. I got the TCM/9mm combo. Funny part is I've only shot one mag of 9mm thru it. The TCM round just makes you smile when it goes boom. If anyone is ever in the market for one, I will let them shoot it and that usually sells them. Accuracy is amazing, recoil is obsolete, and like I said, it makes a LOT of noise!

Yes, that's the norm it seems. If one is interested in a specific handgun/rifle that is moderately popular; it is almost always a mistake to walk away when finding one.

Rarely have I ever gone back to a shop and found that "unicorn" still available a second time.