CZ9mm's Continual Reloading Thread

I've had a Frankford Arsenal tumbler for many years, and it still works just as it did when new.

Corncob pet bedding media with a squirt of Nu Finish car polish is an inexpensive alternative to gun brass specific media. It is larger, however, and tends to get lodged in bottleneck rifle brass. It works well with pistol brass.

With the tumbler, you'll also want to get a sifter/bucket combo to separate the brass and media after cleaning. You might devise some other way to do it, but you'll need something.

Now that I think of it, I don't believe case lube has been mentioned. You'll need it for the rifle brass, but if you get carbide pistol dies, it won't be necessary for them.

http://www.amazon.com/Lee-Precision-50th-Anniversary-Reloading/dp/B00162RM3E

Have you considered a kit?

Edited by gregintenn
  • Moderators
[quote name="gregintenn" post="1114681" timestamp="1393021335"]I've had a Frankford Arsenal tumbler for many years, and it still works just as it did when new. Corncob pet bedding media with a squirt of Nu Finish car polish is an inexpensive alternative to gun brass specific media. It is larger, however, and tends to get lodged in bottleneck rifle brass. It works well with pistol brass. With the tumbler, you'll also want to get a sifter/bucket combo to separate the brass and media after cleaning. You might devise some other way to do it, but you'll need something. Now that I think of it, I don't believe case lube has been mentioned. You'll need it for the rifle brass, but if you get carbide pistol dies, it won't be necessary for them. [url="http://www.amazon.com/Lee-Precision-50th-Anniversary-Reloading/dp/B00162RM3E"]http://www.amazon.com/Lee-Precision-50th-Anniversary-Reloading/dp/B00162RM3E[/url] Have you considered a kit?[/quote] Well..I have considered a kit. I would have purchased that one except it is aluminum instead of iron. I have heard of the pet bedding...will try it. Guess I will probably go with the FA tumbler. Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

So I may and I may not. I probably will, but I just "first" wanted to see how to prime with the press. Right now I'm looking at tumblers. Soaking them in Lemishine does work, but I want them to be shiny. Right now I like the looks of this:

Frankford Arsenal

However, everyone on here always talks about the Harbor Freight Tumbler. With a coupon, the price is pretty much negligible between the two.

Thoughts on tumblers?

I'm not saying there is anything wrong with the Frankfort tumbler but the Harbor Freight tumbler will do a better job quicker. My Harbor Freight runs side by side with another members Frankfort very regularly and it always works out this way. 

As far as what I was talking about with the lock nuts, Greg answered correctly. I really have liked every Lee die that I've owned and don't think you can go wrong with them but the lock nuts not having pinch bolts would make it hard to remove without letting it move at all. I really like RCBS's customer service if that counts for anything. 

Here's something else to consider, I recently bought a Dillon 650 and the way they're set up leaves some Lee and RCBS dies a little to short. I'm in no way pushing you towards a 650 but If you think you may want one someday you may want to keep this in mind. I sure wish i'd have known because I would have spent the few extra bucks for Dillon pistol dies plus they're not bad dies either. If you don't see yourself ever being in that situation then no worries. 

You will want a media separator and the Frankfort tumbler/separator combo that I've seen on Amazon isn't a bad deal.

I'm not sure what you've got in mind for a trimmer but I've tried a few different methods and the best and quickest I've tried has been the Little Crow WFT trimmer. It's 10x as fast as my Lyman hand crank model and cut the brass much truer. Look up the YouTube videos on it. 

Looks like you're doing good at covering all your bases so that you don't end up with crap that you'll never use! Good luck getting started.

• Moderators

I'm not saying there is anything wrong with the Frankfort tumbler but the Harbor Freight tumbler will do a better job quicker. My Harbor Freight runs side by side with another members Frankfort very regularly and it always works out this way. 

As far as what I was talking about with the lock nuts, Greg answered correctly. I really have liked every Lee die that I've owned and don't think you can go wrong with them but the lock nuts not having pinch bolts would make it hard to remove without letting it move at all. I really like RCBS's customer service if that counts for anything. 

Here's something else to consider, I recently bought a Dillon 650 and the way they're set up leaves some Lee and RCBS dies a little to short. I'm in no way pushing you towards a 650 but If you think you may want one someday you may want to keep this in mind. I sure wish i'd have known because I would have spent the few extra bucks for Dillon pistol dies plus they're not bad dies either. If you don't see yourself ever being in that situation then no worries. 

You will want a media separator and the Frankfort tumbler/separator combo that I've seen on Amazon isn't a bad deal.

I'm not sure what you've got in mind for a trimmer but I've tried a few different methods and the best and quickest I've tried has been the Little Crow WFT trimmer. It's 10x as fast as my Lyman hand crank model and cut the brass much truer. Look up the YouTube videos on it. 

Looks like you're doing good at covering all your bases so that you don't end up with crap that you'll never use! Good luck getting started.

Thanks! I almost got into it nearly a year ago but never made any purchases. I've known sort of what I've wanted for a while but I'm just now getting into it. Perhaps someday I will be interested in a progressive, but right now I am simply interested in simplicity and quality/accuracy. In my initial starting, I plan on weighing each charge as I load it and then weighing each loaded round after being assembled. I know that ultimately there will be some minor variance that you have to live with but I just want assurance that I didn't either miss a load or double up a load or something like that.

I'm probably more interested in reloading 9mm right now that rifle cartridges because, in my humble opinion, pistol rounds seem easier than rifle rounds. Perhaps that isn't the case but it seems you have to worry more about trimming and the like with rifle rounds. Thus, right now I haven't even researched trimming methods at all. Tomorrow I might go to Harbor Freight and pickup that tumbler. Can someone post a picture of the lizard bedding stuff that everyone seems to enjoy?

Thanks! I almost got into it nearly a year ago but never made any purchases. I've known sort of what I've wanted for a while but I'm just now getting into it. Perhaps someday I will be interested in a progressive, but right now I am simply interested in simplicity and quality/accuracy. In my initial starting, I plan on weighing each charge as I load it and then weighing each loaded round after being assembled. I know that ultimately there will be some minor variance that you have to live with but I just want assurance that I didn't either miss a load or double up a load or something like that.

I'm probably more interested in reloading 9mm right now that rifle cartridges because, in my humble opinion, pistol rounds seem easier than rifle rounds. Perhaps that isn't the case but it seems you have to worry more about trimming and the like with rifle rounds. Thus, right now I haven't even researched trimming methods at all. Tomorrow I might go to Harbor Freight and pickup that tumbler. Can someone post a picture of the lizard bedding stuff that everyone seems to enjoy?

I forgot to cast my priming method opinion, Do yourself a favor and pick up the RCBS hand primer (not the universal model). I primed one case with the primer setup that came with my Turret press and tossed it, having to place each primer by hand is crazy IMO. I actually enjoy priming cases with the RCBS primer and usually do just as Greg said, sit in front of the TV and prime away. 

Measuring loaded rounds may not tell you much as the cases will weigh different and the bullets will weigh differently and their variances will usually be more then most any minor powder charge fluctuation when loading pistol.

• Like 1

I'll say something about the Lee perfect Powder Measure. Mine works as well as anyone's with flake and extruded powders. It doesn't do well with ball powders. I usually use a Lee dipper and trickle up to the correct weight when using ball powders.

It sometimes leaks a bit with flake powders, but it isn't a big deal. Just sweep up when you're done. Don't vacuum powder! The little balls of ball powder tend to get into the cone shaped rotor and bind it up. It is awesome with stick powders as long as you keep the reservoir over half full.

http://www.petsmart.com/product/index.jsp?productId=11147342&utm_source=googleproduct&utm_campaign=11147342&utm_medium=cse&mr:referralID=5ebd5ca6-9bd8-11e3-beb7-001b2166c2c0

Here's the bedding media I was referring to.

Edited by gregintenn

Thoughts on Vibratory Tumblers vs. Rotary Tumblers?

I have both. Frankford tumbler and Thumlers Tumbler ( rotary )..

It depends on how clean/shiny you want your brass. Vibrating will get them reasonably

clean out side, rotary tumbler with stainless media will clean inside & out, and primer

pockets & flash holes as well (if you deprime first ), like new.

I started out with the Frankford, then switched to the Thumler. Haven't used the vibrating

tumbler since.

As for the length of time, regardless of which you use, it depends on how dirty/stained

the brass is. I don't see that much difference, all things being equal.

The stainless route costs a bit more up front, but the stainless doesn't wear out.

Depends on what you want to achieve.

www.stainlesstumblingmedia.com   is the link to where I bought mine. I got the HD model

with the larger motor.

Good luck.....

Edited by Grunt67
Not trying to get off your train of thought, but I just recently decided I wanted to start reloading, I got everything ready bought all the accessories and then I realized I had forgot about the powder. I have spent the last 2 weeks looking for someone who had powder in stock( got lucky today there was a gun show in Knoxville and I was able to get what I needed) So my advice is to start looking into what loads you plan on doing and Buying powder as it becomes available . Good luck and have fun "Failing to prepare is preparing to fail" Benjamin Franklin
  • Moderators

So, update. My Lee Classic Cast gets here tomorrow. I just ordered via Amazon the Frankford Arsenal tumbler. At Walmart earlier I picked up a generic corn cob bedding for pets for $5. My next purchase will be wood, I'm going to build a bench!

I think I'm going to do something very close to this:

http://www.ar15.com/forums/t_6_42/290870_Official_andamp_quot_HOW_TOandamp_quot__build_a_basic_reloading_bench__Plans_and_Process_w_pics.html

IMG00130-20090914-2231.jpg?t=1252995759

Looks like it will be very sturdy and stay simplistic. This will just be to get me started; Once I purchase a house in the upcoming 1-2 years, I will hopefully be able to build a much fancier bench. Unless someone has better ideas, I think I'll try and tackle the above bench this upcoming weekend.

After the bench, I plan on buying my set of dies so that I can d-eprime the brass after tumbling. Then my purchase will be primers and that Lee handprimer. WooHoo!

• Moderators

Actually ended up canceling the Frankford Arsenal one. I think I will indeed go with stainless rotary tumbling, but it will be a while off. Instead I'm going to use Dolomite's Lemishine method. However, what about Universal Decapping Dies?

So I would use this before tumbling/etc and it will not get my 9mm dies dirty, right? This sounds great for decapping dirty brass. If i use this Universal Decapping Die, will the primer still fall free into the "tube" that the Lee Classic Cast has? I'm not going to lie, this feature was one of the features that steered my towards this press.

Actually ended up canceling the Frankford Arsenal one. I think I will indeed go with stainless rotary tumbling, but it will be a while off. Instead I'm going to use Dolomite's Lemishine method. However, what about Universal Decapping Dies?

So I would use this before tumbling/etc and it will not get my 9mm dies dirty, right? This sounds great for decapping dirty brass. If i use this Universal Decapping Die, will the primer still fall free into the "tube" that the Lee Classic Cast has? I'm not going to lie, this feature was one of the features that steered my towards this press.

I use a Lee decapping die a lot! It will knock the primer out the same way as any other die will. You are correct, it will be better than running dirty brass through your die.

If you end up getting a vibratory tumbler you can pick up Lyman media with rouge in it and get the shinier brass than any new ammo. I tumble my loaded rounds in it for a little while and they come out slick.

I have been using Kaytee Lizard litter Desert Blend for a long time now. It works better than the corn cob I have tried. It is also so small it does not plug the flash holes like some walnut media. It is also a bit more abrasive than corn cob so it works faster. I normally add a little bit of liquid car wax and maybe some Flitz. Once the media is loaded it lasts a very long time.

As far as locking down the dies using Lee you need to use a pair of pliers. I do not hand tighten the locking rings, I use a pair of pliers and really lock them in place. They have never accidentally moved.

Tumbling is a much better method. It contains the lead particles. With vibratory tumbling it releases microscopic lead dust into the area and that can expose you to a substantial amount of lead.

For the powder through dies make sure you clean them with solvent before use. They can have oil/grease on the inside and the powder can stick to it.

For tumbling brass I use corn cob or walnut (whichever is handy) to get it clean enough to load. If you have some truly funky brass you can throw a handful of "Black Beauty" sand blast media in with it and that will get rid of almost any funk, grime or oxidation that I have run across. When I used this method I like to spin them in the separator a few extra spins to makes sure it has a chance to drop free. The Black Beauty will leave the brass clean but dull so after loading the brass I tumble my loaded rounds in, http://www.midwayusa.com/product/557992/lyman-turbo-brass-cleaning-media-treated-tufnut-walnut-7-lb-easy-pour-container which put almost a mirror finish on them. The rouge can leave a little red dust residue on the ammo but dump it on a towel roll it around once or twice and it's ready to go. 

The Lyman media I have has probably tumbled close to 20,000 rounds and is still effective although it does take a couple minutes longer than it did when new. It is not very dusty when tumbling or handling which is nice. 

Whether or not you choose to try the Lyman media is up to you but keep the blasting media idea in mind because sooner or later you will pick up some nasty brass that other methods just won't get clean or get rid of the stains.

• Moderators

Update! Just made a MidwayUSA purchase, after it arrives here is everything that I will have:

• Lee Classic Cast
  • Lee Universal Decapping Die
  • MTM Universal Reloading Tray
  • Lee Deluxe Carbide 4-Die Set 9mm Luger
  • Frankford Arsenal Electronic Caliper
  • Hornady Lock-N-Load Conversion
  • Lyman Electronic Scale Powder Funnel Pan
  • Frankford Arsenal DS-750 Electronic Scale
  • Lee Perfect Powder Measure

Sometime this weekend I will be building my bench, mounting my press, and hopefully unboxing Midway!

For powders, primer, and bullets, I am going to keep it as simple as possible. I'm going to ask David what to buy, and keep it at that.

• Moderators

Just spoke with David, hopefully will be able to meet with him tomorrow. Based upon his pricing, I should be able to reload 9mm for about $0.1325 a round! That's assuming free brass of course and that I don't waste a single component.

I think the last time I purchased 9mm locally it was $22 for a box of 50, or roughly $0.44 a round. Using that as my alternative cost, I am saving about $0.30 a round. My equipment (excluding the bench I'm about to build) was $265.16. Theoretically speaking, after I reload 883.8666666667 rounds (I'll call that 884 for simplicity's sake), I will have paid for my fixed equipment purchase! Now, that's buying local rounds.

Assuming that I could find ammo online for $0.25 a round for quality Winchester like I did a few years ago, I still break even after only 2,256 rounds! Of course this just means I will shoot more and buy more reloading equipment soon, but I'm very excited about this!

• Like 1
  • Moderators

Yeah, reloading is never about saving money. It is about shooting more. Well that and building better ammo than you can buy. You will find that once you find a decent load it will be better than anything you have ever bought and it will do it cheaper to boot.

Certainly understood that before I got started. Although I missed it this 13'-14' Winter, I've been wanting a really good indoor hobby for the cold period of the year. This is just the thing! Starting out with a small component purchase, I haven't really checked but I imagine if you buy your components in bulk you can get 9mm below $0.13 a round! Obviously casting would reduce that cost in half or more, but casting is something I may pickup after I have a really good understanding and experience with reloading.

I think my next firearm purchase I save up for will be a .308 rifle. I would really like to get into making match grade ammo and shooting it long range. That'll be a pretty good way's off though.

Update! Just made a MidwayUSA purchase, after it arrives here is everything that I will have:

• Lee Classic Cast
  • Lee Universal Decapping Die
  • MTM Universal Reloading Tray
  • Lee Deluxe Carbide 4-Die Set 9mm Luger
  • Frankford Arsenal Electronic Caliper
  • Hornady Lock-N-Load Conversion
  • Lyman Electronic Scale Powder Funnel Pan
  • Frankford Arsenal DS-750 Electronic Scale
  • Lee Perfect Powder Measure

Sometime this weekend I will be building my bench, mounting my press, and hopefully unboxing Midway!

For powders, primer, and bullets, I am going to keep it as simple as possible. I'm going to ask David what to buy, and keep it at that.

Sounds like you're almost ready to have fun. Once I started reloading I realized that I enjoy it almost as much as I do shooting (but not quite) and then along came casting which I thoroughly enjoy as well. If it had not been for these two hobbies the shooting hobby would have been all but non existent for the past couple of years while all the craziness has been going on. For some folks reloading is just a necessary evil that is only put up with as it is a means to shoot but I hope that you'll find some enjoyment in it. 

CZ;

Your list looks great. Congratulations. :up:

I find handloading to be a very pleasurable and rewarding experience. I have no doubt you will as well.

There is some excellent info and suggestions in this thread.

On down the line (I don't recall seeing it recommended, but may have overlooked it) but you may want to pick up a "handloader's whiteout":

http://www.midwayusa.com/product/667064/lyman-magnum-impact-bullet-puller

Something I recently picked up as I've ventured out from my chosen loads for the past 25 years is a chronograph. (I always had access to one until moving to TN...and I'm a cheap basterd LOL).

I wanted to put in a plug for a Competition Electronics Prochrono Chronograph.

I picked up mine from MidwayUSA, with a discount coupon and sale for $105.00 including shipping. You just gotta watch for those sales. :pleased:

http://www.midwayusa.com/product/852429/competition-electronics-prochrono-digital-chronograph?cm_vc=ProductFinding

Keep us posted on your experiences. Enjoy.