FB cracks down on illegal gun sales

Basically, they are preventing users from under 18 from seeing the posts. 

"We will remove reported posts that explicitly indicate a specific attempt to evade or help others evade the law," the company said in a statement."

This does not mean they will stop all gun sales, just illegal gun sales and dealers offering to sell without BGC. Private party sales are exempt from BGC by federal law, so they should not be stopping these.

So doesn't sound like much to me, but will see how it plays out. I could care less either way....

Edited by jonathon1289

I don't do facebook-- for various reasons. This gives me one more good reason to never start using it.

Even so, their half-hearted attempt to "regulate" firearms was enough of a cave to give the Chatty Cathys over at MDA something to crow about in a factually-distorted fashion.

[quote name="RobertNashville" post="1120564" timestamp="1394047119"]I'm a bit surprised that anyone would use Facebook to sell or buy a firearm...equally surprised that a company like Facebook wouldn't just delete such posts automatically. :shrug: [/quote] whats the difference in using Facebook to buy or sell as opposed to here, or armslist, etc? as long as you are playing by the rules there is none....
Guest TankerHC

ahh, just a CYA move. In light of two recent arrests and convictions for supplying a gun to a felon, doesn't surprise me. I believe they also did this last year, as I recall there was an uproar over a rumor they were going to ban gun related and gun sales sites.

They could do it, if they wanted to lose a third of their subscribers. Hell every State has 50 gun sites, every gun magazine, dealer, manufacturer, ammo and supplies manufactuer, every shooting organization, every outdoor magazine and everything else related to anything that goes bang has either a group, promotional page or advertisement on there. 

Good luck banning anything gun related on dumb book. 

There is really nothing wrong with Facebook...most of what could be said that's "bad" about social media today could have been said (and likely was) about almost any advancement in technology over the last 150 years. Most of what people complain about with FB are problems of their own making by not being careful about what they post there.

There is a book I highly recommend people read, if you want an idea about technology and where it's taking us. It's been out in HC for a while but the papterback just came out.The New Digital Age: Transforming Nations, Businesses, and Our Lives. It's quite an eye opener.

[quote name="jacob" post="1120604" timestamp="1394052219"]if you say so....[/quote] It's not about safety or non-safety. It's about posting gun pictures in a generally non-gun forum. Some do it, I generally do not. Although I wouldn't say never. I'm certainly not worried about people knowing I have guns, that's certainly no secret. I just don't want the unwarranted commentary or scrutiny
[quote name="Lumber_Jack" post="1120606" timestamp="1394052370"]It's not about safety or non-safety. It's about posting gun pictures in a generally non-gun forum. Some do it, I generally do not. Although I wouldn't say never. I'm certainly not worried about people knowing I have guns, that's certainly no secret. I just don't want the unwarranted commentary or scrutiny[/quote] I got your point, my point is that using any online means to buy and sell firearms isnt exactly "safe" as you put it....but we could split hairs all day right?

paperback just came out.The New Digital Age: Transforming Nations, Businesses, and Our Lives. It's quite an eye opener.

Irony defined....  ^^^^^

FB is fine, but putting your real info and life anywhere in public is asking for trouble.  Same as putting your name, address, SS#, credit card info, etc on a flyer and nailing it up all over town 40 years ago was probably stupid.    I don't use it because my real name - digital footprint is microscopic and I intend to keep it that way.  Same reason I do not have a real cell phone. 

I was sort of OK with this until you hit the spot in the discussion that they will crack down on all gun sales that do not require a background check.  That is crossing the line.  If I were on FB and that threat becomes an actuality, I would leave it.   As I am not on it, all I can do is to warn others to pay attention to that little detail.  The news blubs all say it is cracking down on ILLEGAL sales but the devil in the details says it will crack down on legal sales too, if they decide to go that far.

Edited by Jonnin

if you think TGO is safer than facebook, well...

I think TGO is safer than Facebook.

People who are firearm enthusiasts tend to be pretty decent people.

People who spend significant time here (on TGO) tend to be "real" firearm enthusiasts

TGO is administered by good people (and the rif-raff tend to get weeded out).

People who have spent significant time here and become benefactors (necessary to be able to sell here) make it even more likely that they are actually firearm enthusiasts. They also will likely accumulate an IT Trader "rating" of either being good people to deal with or not good people to deal with.

No one is saying that dealing with someone from TGO is a guarantee of anything but it's a hell of a lot more to go on than someplace like Facebook where someone could have joined 10 minutes before posting their "gun" for sale and with no mechanism to indicate if they might be a good person to deal with.

• Like 1

Irony defined....  ^^^^^

FB is fine, but putting your real info and life anywhere in public is asking for trouble.  Same as putting your name, address, SS#, credit card info, etc on a flyer and nailing it up all over town 40 years ago was probably stupid.    I don't use it because my real name - digital footprint is microscopic and I intend to keep it that way.  Same reason I do not have a real cell phone. 

I was sort of OK with this until you hit the spot in the discussion that they will crack down on all gun sales that do not require a background check.  That is crossing the line.  If I were on FB and that threat becomes an actuality, I would leave it.   As I am not on it, all I can do is to warn others to pay attention to that little detail.  The news blubs all say it is cracking down on ILLEGAL sales but the devil in the details says it will crack down on legal sales too, if they decide to go that far.

I really don't understand the above or how it relates to what I said in the post you are quoting.

How is requiring a BC check "crossing the line"..what line?  In TN if you are crossing state lines you have to go through an FFL; what's the big deal???

Edited by RobertNashville

I'm a bit surprised that anyone would use Facebook to sell or buy a firearm...equally surprised that a company like Facebook wouldn't just delete such posts automatically.  :shrug:

For me I had no idea that people were in fact using FB to buy & sell guns etc but it does not surprice me much if they are.... Only reason I keep an FB account is to keep tabs on friends and family that I don't or wouldn't have much if any contact with if I didn't do a little FB... No thanks to buying or selling on FB as I don't really care for selling my used stuff on CL either...

TGO is essentially my FB.  Although, I'm not sure how we grow the firearms pro community without leveraging social media (FB, Twitter, Instagram, etc...)  in some way.  The future of our 2nd Amendment rights is in the hands of the younger generation.  If there isn't some way of bringing in new firearm enthusiasts via shooting sports, self defense, hunting, or hobby shooting at the range the only exposure some young folks get is the crime and thug shooting exposure via the news.  I suppose gun sales numbers indicate the community is pretty damn strong and growing.

I am a member of a local FB group that buys and sells guns. I have not seen any issues come up as of yet. There are some deals there too but you have to be quick on the draw. I missed a Marlin lever gun in 45-70 that sold for $300.

I watch a couple of groups as well and have sold a pistol via FB.  It was no different an experience than selling something via TGO, make sure they are TN resident/HCP holder, etc etc. 

If people prefer to not use FB to sell a gun, that is of course their prerogative....