has anyone seen this non-sense ?

tercel89

A man gets a draw string tangled in his trigger guard then his pistol fires. I have always been like "OCD" when it comes to my trigger guard area. Good lord just keep your trigger guard safe and everything will be fine . Glock pistols are perfectly safe just practice safety and you'll be just fine . This video reminds me of this paragraph " Glocks are perfectly safe . If you need to have an extra safety then I suppose you might want to sleep with a security blanket also. Personally I have a functioning brain and know not to pull a trigger unless I'm ready to fire . This simple concept seems to escape many people." 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FrJMQupYxaw

A draw string in the trigger guard huh?
Some fat ass mall ninja didnt get his captain sweat pants sinched down properly or what?

A PROPER carry holster has the trigger guard completely covered so nothing can get in there. A PROPER carrier doesn't get it out playing with it and is sufficiently cautious to never allow anything like that to happen.
I'm sure this was labeled an accident. 'accident' is defined as an unwillingness to take responsibility for ones own incompetence. Edited by Caster

This just in: pulling the trigger on a gun causes it to fire?!

Freak accidents happen.  People drop things that get jammed under the brake or gas in their cars and cause accidents.  People bend over and get their hair or clothing caught in the printer or shredder.   People trip and impale themselves on thing.   Life (for everyone else..) goes on.   You don't put a cage around the gas pedal, you don't force people to wear plate mail armor when out walking,  or to be nude and shaved before operating a paper shredder.    

Guns are no different.   Treated carelessly they can cause injury or death, and even with due care, a few people every year will be hurt from freak accidents (some preventable, but then again, all accidents including the freaky bizarre ones are preventable in hindsight).   Nothing to see here. 

I have heard of the draw strings on pull over fleece outer wear getting caught in trigger guards and causing problems. My FIL cuts them all off his shirts. I just make sure all holsters cover the trigger guard. I have had mine get tangled when reholstering in the backyard/range. But no ND. The reason I say this is because if I hadn't been paying attention it could have happened to me. Gun are never to be taken for granted. PERIOD. No matter how old or safe. Shit happens. JTM We the People of the United States, in order to form a more Perfect Union......

If I got that truck, after those tires wore out I would definitely not put something like that back on it since it will live 99.9% of its life on road

There is a documented, and confirmed case by witnesses, that a DOE guy got his drawstring caught in the trigger guard of a Sig firing it. Supposedly they spent some time recreating the event, confirming that it can happen easily. Edited by Patton

The holster plays a part in it too, like the time a TGO friend scorched his britches, and damn near butt-shot himself with his M&P. If y'all don't remember, he forgot to remove his finger from the trigger, and shoved the gun into his holster. The part of the holster that covers the trigger was the final component that caused the discharge, and the scorched hole on his britches.

If something is inside the trigger guard when you holster the weapon, it could go bang. The best way to avoid it is to pay attention. 

• Like 3

There is a documented, and confirmed case by witnesses, that a DOE guy got his drawstring caught in the trigger guard of a Sig firing it. Supposedly they spent some time recreating the event, confirming that I can happen get easily.

I feel like I had a stroke reading this... ;)

I'm here to tell you, it happens.

Shooting an IDPA match it started raining hard so, I put on my expensive Gortex rain suit. You know the one, with the Velcro everywhere and the dual draw strings, one at mid waste and the other at the bottom. Those draw strings with the plastic clinchers can easily and do get in the trigger guard and / or holster.

In slow motion I slowly, deliberately and carefully re-holstered each time with my eyes trained on gun and holster. I see these people all the time at the shooting range that speed re-holster without even looking at what they're doing, as Mr. Police Chief can attest. Had he been looking...

Until the next speed re-holstering championships, see ya!

I have OCD and this is when that disorder comes in handy  :pleased: . I check and double check things , then go back and check them again . When I buy a holster , you better believe I check that trigger area by golly ! If in doubt I buy a different holster and that also goes for mag releases . Some holsters will press against the mag release button. Especially on S&W M&P's. The Tagua holsters are bad about that . 

Edited by tercel89
  • Like 1

I have OCD and this is when that disorder comes in handy  :pleased: . I check and double check things , then go back and check them again . When I buy a holster , you better believe I check that trigger area by golly ! If in doubt I buy a different holster and that also goes for mag releases . Some holsters will press against the mag release button. Especially on S&W M&P's. The Tagua holsters are bad about that . 

I don't have OCD(at least not diagnosed), but to say that you need to be aware of ALL things when carrying 'cocked and locked' is a given! It took a GOOD WHILE for me to feel comfortable carrying this way! Knowing that the gun is loaded, and ready to fire should make you double careful, and aware of anything that can happen, clothing and all! To do anything less, would be careless, IMHO!

This is also the reason, when I pocket carry, I remove the holster from my pocket to put my 'pocket rocket' back in!

Because there's no way he would have been mashing the grip safety as he was holstering the gun???

Yup.  Know of a guy who did this very thing with a 1911.  He did not walk away from it unscathed.

If it had been an XD, it wouldn't have happened.  Blocks are inherently unsafe.  

Scissors are unsafe for stoopid people.  Unfortunately, some stoopid people have guns.... some of them even have badges.

Sorry, if you shoot yourself with a gun on two different occasions, you can't say that the gun is unsafe.  There is a common denominator there.

• Like 1

If it had been an XD, it wouldn't have happened. Blocks are inherently unsafe.
The one I posted about earlier was an XD. I don't recall if I had the grip safety depressed or not. I do know the drawn strings on shirts with plastic spring tensioners can get caught in a trigger guard. Has happened to me. JTM We the People of the United States, in order to form a more Perfect Union...... Edited by jtmaze

The one I posted about earlier was an XD. I don't recall if I had the grip safety depressed or not. I do know the drawn strings on shirts with plastic spring tensioners can get caught in a trigger guard. Has gapped to me. JTM We the People of the United States, in order to form a more Perfect Union......

One would assume that when a person is reholstering they would be engaging the grip safety just from the natural way one pushes their pistol into the holster.  In that respect, the grip safety would not prevent this from happening.  One could argue that a person who has a grip safety could be mindful of how they reholster, as to not engage the grip safety when holstering, but wouldn't it be just as easy to make sure there isn't something jammed in your trigger guard? 

Because there's no way he would have been mashing the grip safety as he was holstering the gun???

Scissors are unsafe for stoopid people.  Unfortunately, some stoopid people have guns.... some of them even have badges.

Sorry, if you shoot yourself with a gun on two different occasions, you can't say that the gun is unsafe.  There is a common denominator there.

One would assume that when a person is reholstering they would be engaging the grip safety just from the natural way one pushes their pistol into the holster.  In that respect, the grip safety would not prevent this from happening.  One could argue that a person who has a grip safety could be mindful of how they reholster, as to not engage the grip safety when holstering, but wouldn't it be just as easy to make sure there isn't something jammed in your trigger guard? 

The first part of my statement is actually true.  Watch the video.  The gun fires from him pulling on the string.  His hand is NOT on the grip.  

The second half of my statement was merely intended as humor.  

PLEASE WATCH THE VIDEO!  See with your own eyes how this happened.  Grip safety, thumb safety, any kind of safety (in the on position) would have stopped this from happening.