Ares Armor files restraining order against the BATFE.

Jack boots at large... Last I checked 80%'s are still okay.

http://fox5sandiego.com/2014/03/12/gun-store-owner-halts-federal-raid/#6Z6BoExdrRpxQWKd.01

OCEANSIDE, Calif. – An Oceanside store that sells various gun parts to build a rifle from scratch warded off a federal raid Wednesday.

Dimitrios Karras, owner of Ares Armor, said the Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives agents were investigating their business, not for what they sell, but for the people who purchase their products.

Karras said the ATF threatened to shutter their business if they didn’t hand over the names of 5,000 customers who have purchased an 80 percent lower receiver (the base) for building an AR-15.

It is legal to build a rifle from scratch without serial numbers only if the base is manufactured to ATF specifications.  The base is not considered a firearm if it’s sold separately.

A manufacturer made an 80 percent receiver in plastic with a different material and colors which show exactly where the customer can drill making it easier and cheaper to build.  The ATF said it is illegal.

The ATF sent stores, including Ares Armor, letters demanding they turn over the products and names of customers who purchased them.

“They said either give us these 5000 names or we are coming in and taking pretty much anything – which is a huge privacy concern and something we are not willing to do,” said Karras.

Karras’s attorney informed the ATF to pick up the receivers Wednesday morning at their Oceanside location, but the inventory was not the issue. The store owner said he will not comply with turning over their private client list.

“They were going to search all of our facilities and confiscate our computer and pretty much shut our business down,” said Karras.  â€œThe government invades our privacy on a daily basis and everyone thinks its ok. This is one of those situations where hopefully the governmental institutions will come in say this is protected and no you’re not taking it from them.”

In anticipation of a raid, they filed a temporary restraining order against the ATF, stopping them from confiscating their property, Karras said.  The ATF has a certain amount of time to respond. If the two parties do not reach a compromise, they will be in court for a preliminary hearing March 20.

This may be the end of 80%lowers and ak47 blanks. I am not sure on how the law reads on this but they maybe getting what the gubment wants. Attention dawn to the 80% lower market, or the build your own untraceable gun crowd. JTM We the People of the United States, in order to form a more Perfect Union......

Did they make 80% illegal in Cali?? Seriously, where are they getting this kind of justification????

As a federal agency, the BATFE doesn't usually go around investigating & enforcing local statutes.

Since there has been no new federal legislation or federal judicial rulings that I am aware of on this particular topic, these "80% raids" are probably the result of a new departmental "interpretation" of an existing federal statute.

So they're taking their normal Jack Boot measures up a notch, got it.

I suppose that'd depend on your personal politics, most rational gun-owning folks would have thought an announcement of the policy change, prehaps even a letter from the BATFE to folks engaging in the business of selling 80% lowers prior to rolling in the Stormtroopers would had been the correct way, however to irrational gun-grabbers this is probably getting dangerous weapons of unfinished construction off of the streets ....

ATF has no published guidelines that identify what 80% means.  At any given time, what comprises 80% is pretty much whatever the agent says it is.  They've raided companies for years - taking machinery, unfinished parts, raw materials, customer lists (a favorite with them, it seems), pretty much anything they want to take.  You have to have the big bucks to fight them in court, but usually no charges are filed as long as you don't argue about them cleaning you out.

Edited by Mark@Sea
[quote name="hipower" post="1124321" timestamp="1394761466"]Well...the TSA does sometimes offer a free massage to it's customers.[/quote] I actually had to tell a TSA agent if they touched me there again they were going to have to buy me a drink...they didn't laugh for some reason

I actually had to tell a TSA agent if they touched me there again they were going to have to buy me a drink...they didn't laugh for some reason

Yeah, they seem to have a little problem with sarcasm at the TSA. Also with common sense and humanity.

• Like 4