interesting night in a police car tonight

vontar

I went on a ride along tonight and in less then 5 hours, we had 5 events I believe.

It ended with a 10-46 (wreak with injuries(minor)).

It was a night I don't think I will forget for a while.  I will say if you have the opportunity, don't pass it up.

I was going to do a full shift, however after the amount of calls, the officer I was with was pulled to do paper work.  I just might have to do another one.

Sounds like an interesting night. What were some of the calls?

My roommate & I are currently going through a program that the Davidson county metro police have, called the Citizen's Police Academy. It meets once a week for 12 weeks. Each week, one or two presenters from various departments come in and do a show-&-tell about what they do. We've also had a few field trips so far. Last week we toured the brand-new (not even up & running yet) crime lab in Madison. That's a *neat* place. We also toured the 911 call center. In a few weeks, everyone will get to try their hand shooting at the police range.

All that to say: we also get to do a ride-along. Mine is next week; it should be interesting!

Sounds like an interesting night. What were some of the calls?

I am still processing in my mind.  A shopping lifting report at Walmart, traffic stop, public disturbance, domestic, and the accident.  My mind is still running 90 mph. (had 2 lights and siren runs domestic and the accident (with injuries).  I agreed with everything.  I didn't see anything to object to.  Met several of the officers on duty tonight.

[quote name="vontar" post="1125270" timestamp="1394944269"]I went on a ride along tonight and in less then 5 hours, we had 5 events I believe. It ended with a 10-46 (wreak with injuries(minor)). It was a night I don't think I will forget for a while. I will say if you have the opportunity, don't pass it up. I was going to do a full shift, however after the amount of calls, the officer I was with was pulled to do paper work. I just might have to do another one.[/quote] 5 events in 5 hours? When I was a LEO we prayed for slow days like that! And, we never got pulled from answering calls to do paperwork. ..... Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Tapatalk
  • Like 1

Only question I have is this... Did they allow you to carry your pistol? :D

No.  I was advised to leave any weapons at home.  I made the assumption weapons would be provided :devil: .  I wasn't too awful far off, the officer I was with showed me the unlock button for the AR and we talked about a what if, if bad guys started shooting.

To fully answer your question, no I wasn't carrying. 

CAB Elite, well truly the events where more in a 4 hour window.  The 5th hour included accident clean/ and other related items.

I did several ride alongs with the Athens PD.  Everything from so dull you couldn't stay awake to non-stop action.

(Girl driver, crying)  "I just knew you were going to give me a ticket"

(Officer Eric)  "I just knew I was too!"  :D

• Like 2

Did you get to set up any illegal check points or demand that a citizen show you their papers?  Maybe some kind of unified training exercise with the TSA on a Tennessee road?  That would be fun!

prag

Yes, it was with the ORPD.  I have met some very good people there.

Did you get to set up any illegal check points or demand that a citizen show you their papers?  Maybe some kind of unified training exercise with the TSA on a Tennessee road?  That would be fun!

I saw officers following the book, explaining things well.   I am being very general on purpose.

Edited by vontar
  • Like 1

5 events in 5 hours? When I was a LEO we prayed for slow days like that! And, we never got pulled from answering calls to do paperwork. .....Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Tapatalk

I hear you brother - I think we had similar experiences. Five calls in five hours is incredibly slow. I'm finishing my degree this fall. I'm really looking forward to see how it is here now. I remember stacking 10-15 cases before I pulled myself for writing. And that's just to do your own fair share of the work...

Vontar, what department did you do a ride-a-long with?