Honey bee removal?

Do you know of anyone in the Tri-cities that does bee removal? I have a hive of honey bees that have taken up residence inside of my front porch. I am allergic to bee stings but that's not what I'm worried about. I have a one year old that loves playing in the front yard and I really don't want her to get stung trying to get on the porch. I checked Google and found a few names of people who do it but wanted to check here first. Never know there may be a beekeeper among us that would like to have them?

Yea, don't pay much.  Allot of bee keepers will come take them for free.

Some will first hit you with a number, and if you wait they will reduce it or come for gas money.

My neighbor had bees a couple years ago, i posted it on a local swap shop.  He got a call, guy gave him a number and he said he would wait and see what someone else offered.  30 minutes later the guy called back and said he would take them for free.

Yea, don't pay much.  Allot of bee keepers will come take them for free.

Some will first hit you with a number, and if you wait they will reduce it or come for gas money.

My neighbor had bees a couple years ago, i posted it on a local swap shop.  He got a call, guy gave him a number and he said he would wait and see what someone else offered.  30 minutes later the guy called back and said he would take them for free.

^^^This. If I lived closer I would gladly come & get them. Like "vontar" said, most bee keepers will come & get them. Bee keeping is a great hobby & there's nothing better than fresh honey on a warm biscuit in the morning. :yum:

• Like 2

Here are some beekeeping clubs in your area. A hobbyist beekeeper will gladly come take your bees for free. Found the info here: http://www.tnbeekeepers.org/bee-clubs/

Washington County Beekeepers

Meets: 1st Tuesday of the month at 7:30 p.m.
Christian Church Road
Gray, TN
423-502-8475
postie@hotmail.com

club@wcbeekeepersassociation.com

Tri-Cities Beekeepers
Meets: 2nd Thursday of each month, 7pm
1550 Fort Henry Drive
Kingsport, TN
423-247-6626

David Hess

dthess@embarqmail.com
Edited by analog_kidd
  • Like 1

They may not bother you now, but later this summer, they will "swarm" and you could get stung just by being in the vicinity.  BTDT.  If you were closer, I'd pay a real beekeeper to get them and bring them to our farm.  My Papaw used to keep bees and there are one or two hives left, but it would be nice to have some more.  

I had a swarm come here a couple of years ago. Found a local beekeeper who was about a mile away who came and got them for free and then gave me a quart of honey! Here are a few pics of him getting the bees without a protective suit and he never got stung. I even ventured pretty close to get the pictures without getting stung!

2zq9zir.jpg

ogmiwl.jpg

iclbme.jpg

2zq9zir.jpg

• Like 1
When they swarm the original hive splits, the old queen leaves with half the bees and go looking for a new home. The remaining hive raises a new queen. They aren't defensive because they don't have anything to defend. That's why he could do it without protection and without getting stung. Edited by JWC

I'd come get em if it wasn't so far. Free bees now would definitely beat waiting for my packages to be ready to pick up.

I'm waiting on some myself.There is a local beekeeper that raises queens and sells nucs. He was expecting them to be ready about now, but the weather and temperatures didn't cooperate with him somehow, and now it will be the end of the month before they are ready.

I've never raised bees before, so this is a new experience for me. I brought my hive over so that he could put the nuc right into my own equipment. While I was there he invited me into his bee yard for a beekeeping 101 lesson. Very cool. Took me a little while to resist the urge to swat the bees buzzing around the veil.

With honey bees being on the decline, I've thought about getting into bee keeping.  Seems like a fair bit of work, but might be worth it. 

I'm not allergic to honey bees and generally find them to be quite docile.  I've never been stung by a bee that I didn't accidentally piss off.  Yellow jackets on the other hand...   :bat:

[quote name="Clod Stomper" post="1133303" timestamp="1396488935"]They may not bother you now, but later this summer, they will "swarm" and you could get stung just by being in the vicinity. BTDT. If you were closer, I'd pay a real beekeeper to get them and bring them to our farm. My Papaw used to keep bees and there are one or two hives left, but it would be nice to have some more. [/quote] Not true - swarming is the reproduction of the macro-organism (the colony). Generally bees swarm in the spring (while there is still a honey flow i.e. plants in bloom). They are full of honey in their crop to take to their new home and not aggressive at all. Bees which swarm in summer are pretty much doomed to an early colony death, since they will not have enough time to build their new colony and put away honey for the winter.

Not true - swarming is the reproduction of the macro-organism (the colony). Generally bees swarm in the spring (while there is still a honey flow i.e. plants in bloom).They are full of honey in their crop to take to their new home and not aggressive at all.Bees which swarm in summer are pretty much doomed to an early colony death, since they will not have enough time to build their new colony and put away honey for the winter.

I guess I was wrong about the swarm. I'm not a beekeeper. I do know that I've been stung by, and have seen others stung by, aggressive honeybees when I was tens of yards away from the hive on a nice hot summer day when they were really buzzing around. Just wanted to mention the potential for future stings if they stay in the porch.

Thanks,

Will