I need recommendations for a defensive shotgun.

bird333

This is a great thread. I normally just leave a Glock or two lying around. But, I have an 870 of the home defense variety, and several AR's. I have been leaning toward the AR for awhile, because my carbines have all the attributes mentioned in this thread. Short, light, low recoil, and fast sights. I am pretty sold on the AR at this point.

[quote name="mikegideon" post="1159885" timestamp="1403037560"]This is a great thread. I normally just leave a Glock or two lying around. But, I have an 870 of the home defense variety, and several AR's. I have been leaning toward the AR for awhile, because my carbines have all the attributes mentioned in this thread. Short, light, low recoil, and fast sights. I am pretty sold on the AR at this point.[/quote] I think you've seen the light bud. Correct ammo, along with shot placement with any defense situation, is key. Honestly, I don't mean to talk down to or be derogatory towards folks that use shotguns for home defense, heck the guns have worked for years in that role. The problem I have is when I hear statements like "You can't miss with a shotgun" or "I'll use birdshot so it won't over penetrate" that I get riled. The thing is, any projectile that will penetrate flesh and organ will penetrate walls. Bullets that will expand and stop in your intended target are ideal in a perfect world. Lighter bullets tend to do that better. Steel balls in buck shot don't expand or tumble, typically they just fly through what they're pointed at and on to whatever is next. I'm not even getting into birdshot. But, as the old saying goes, different folks, different strokes and all that. Didn't mean to turn this into a shotgun vs. AR thread. Just figured since we've taken the fork in the road, might as well explore it Edited by KKing

I'm sorry it was just my 2 cents worth and I thought we were talking about shotguns.

I think you've seen the light bud. Correct ammo, along with shot placement with any defense situation, is key. Honestly, I don't mean to talk down to or be derogatory towards folks that use shotguns for home defense, heck the guns have worked for years in that role. The problem I have is when I hear statements like "You can't miss with a shotgun" or "I'll use birdshot so it won't over penetrate" that I get riled. The thing is, any projectile that will penetrate flesh and organ will penetrate walls. Bullets that will expand and stop in your intended target are ideal. Lighter bullets tend to do that better. Steel balls in buck shot don't expand or tumble, typically they just fly through what they're pointed at and on to whatever is next. I'm not even getting into birdshot. But, as the old saying goes, different folks, different strokes and all that. Didn't mean to turn this into a shotgun vs. AR thread. Just figured since we've taken the fork in the road, might as well explore it

This has turned into a comparison thread and that is fine.  I thought I wanted a shotgun first, but now I'm not so sure.  Besides the penetration issue at relatively close range from what I have seen in videos a shotgun blast doesn't really spread much either.  I have had two firearms instructors (both cops btw) that recommend shotguns for HD.  I am going to buy an AR regardless but now I am debating whether I should even get a shotgun at all.  All the info seems I hear/see seems all over the place.

This has been an interesting read, I agree.

And there has been some sound and thoughtful advice given.

I hope you will be able to actually try each platform out for yourself... a shotgun and a carbine...be it AR,AK. Mossberg, Remington, or whatever suits you. Wherever you are in TN there is probably a TGO'er around that'd be willing to lend a hand. Good folks around here.  :up: 

I always have a Glock at hand...but keep a carbine and a shotgun handy and readily accessible. All of these, imho, have their niches to fill.

I also still stand by my original recommendation that once you have made your choice you'll seriously consider professional training. That would be the best investment you could make.

• Like 1

This has been an interesting read, I agree.

And there has been some sound and thoughtful advice given.

I hope you will be able to actually try each platform out for yourself... a shotgun and a carbine...be it AR,AK. Mossberg, Remington, or whatever suits you. Wherever you are in TN there is probably a TGO'er around that'd be willing to lend a hand. Good folks around here.  :up:

I always have a Glock at hand...but keep a carbine and a shotgun handy and readily accessible. All of these, imho, have their niches to fill.

I also still stand by my original recommendation that once you have made your choice you'll seriously consider professional training. That would be the best investment you could make.

What exactly is a 'carbine'?

What exactly is a 'carbine'?

carbine (/ˈkɑrbiːn/ or /ˈkɑrbaɪn/),[1] from French carabine,[2] is a long arm but with a shorter barrel than a rifle or musket. Many carbines are shortened versions of full length rifles, shooting the same ammunition, as opposed to stand alone designs with generally lower powered ammunition.
  • Like 2

carbine (/ˈkɑrbiːn/ or /ˈkɑrbaɪn/),[1] from French carabine,[2] is a long arm but with a shorter barrel than a rifle or musket. Many carbines are shortened versions of full length rifles, shooting the same ammunition, as opposed to stand alone designs with generally lower powered ammunition.

Well said Sir. :up:

Sorry bird...I use the term carbine when referring to a round such as the 5.56 or 7.62x39...vs a "rifle' caliber round like the 7.61x51 (308) or 7.62x54R...etc,etc,etc...at least that's how it goes inside my head. :cool:

Well said Sir. :up:

Sorry bird...I use the term carbine when referring to a round such as the 5.56 or 7.62x39...vs a "rifle' caliber round like the 7.61x51 (308) or 7.62x54R...etc,etc,etc...at least that's how it goes inside my head. :cool:

Well, it's your head :). Don't be surprised if you confuse some folks, since the 5.56 started out in rifles, and is still issued in rifles today. Ain't up on the commie round as much, but would assume that there are rifles chambered in 7.62 x 39 as well.

I copied and pasted that from Wikipedia, not my words... I should have cited it.

But yeah, the term carbine is often used to refer to long arms which fire an intermediate rifle cartridge or pistol cartridge... But really it applies to any shortened rifle, and not to a pistol caliber long arm (which is a submachine gun, or semiautomatic version thereof) Edited by molonlabetn

I have a Remington 1100 with an extended tube that sits next to me when I am watching TV.  I don't want to worry about pumping my shotgun when I have an intruder.  Next to my bed there is a Judge.  If you wake me in the middle of the night and I am not very awake all I have to do is point it in the direction of the noise.  I live in the country so I am not worried about hitting anyone else.  It is just my wife and me so I am not worried about shooting a family member.  I use 00 buck in the Remington. 

Edited by Richard995