Goodbye Taurus. Hello Ruger.

JAB

I decided that I would visit my favorite LGS this past weekend to see what they had. I decided to take my late '80s model (six shot version - the newer ones are seven shot) Taurus 66, 4 inch barrel .357 with me. I actually almost didn't even fool with taking it and actually almost walked out my door without it except that my gut just kept telling me to bring the Taurus along, just in case. The reason I almost didn't was because, being my only .357, the only thing I would have really considered trading the Taurus for would have been a used Ruger GP100. Being that it seems most folks who have a GP100 keep them, what were the chances that this small, kind of out of the way LGS would have a used GP100 in the case?

Well, it turned out that the chances were 100%. In over a decade of visiting that LGS fairly frequently, I don't remember ever having seen a used GP100 at this LGS and the day I decide that I would trade the Taurus if they had one, there it was. I honestly got a bit of an 'oooo-eeeee-ooooo' feeling because of it. Not only did they happen to have the only gun I would have traded the Taurus toward but it was even one of the models that had a wood insert in the grips - a feature I really find appealing and which, unless I am mistaken, Ruger no longer offers from the factory (the GP100 and SP101 revolvers now all come with a rubber grip insert unless I am mistaken.) A deal to trade my Taurus and some cash for the Ruger was reached and this came home with me:

IMG_20140412_174612_860.jpg

Now, let me say that there was absolutely nothing wrong with the Taurus. Whoever ends up with it will have a good revolver. It just wasn't a GP100. One reason I wasn't entirely happy with the Taurus was that it seemed that I could never entirely get the hang of shooting it with anything approaching accuracy despite trying to fine tune the adjustable rear sights. I don't think it was the gun's fault, it just didn't entirely fit me for some reason.

I think the Ruger is going to be a much better fit. I brought it home Saturday afternoon and ran a few rounds through it. I didn't have a lot of .357 ammo on hand but I did try a couple of different, factory loads. I tried it on paper at about 10 yards (maybe a little more) with Federal 158 grain JSP and Remington 125 grain SJHP. The JSP were a little high and to the left on the first, two shots so I tinkered with the adjustable rear sights and got better results. I shot a combination of single and double action with both loads. As I said, I didn't have a lot of .357 ammo on hand so I just shot a few but I think I have a pretty good impression of this gun. Good enough to say that I can see it becoming my favorite handgun.

Here are the targets with the respective loads. Keep in mind that I do not shoot from a rest, neither rifles nor handguns. These were fired using a two-handed grip in a SD type stance from about ten yards. I think I can improve with practice but getting 'minute of bad guy' the first time I ever fired this or any GP100 wasn't bad, I thought.

IMG_20140412_174512_822.jpg

IMG_20140412_174446_103.jpg

I should have thought to buy more .357 ammo while I was at the LGS but I was so ecstatic about finding the GP100 that I just didn't. I have been seeing .357 ammo on shelves everywhere lately so I didn't think I'd have a problem finding any. Of course, when I called around to every Walmart in my area then called Academy there was none on any of their shelves. I even 'bit the bullet' and called Gander Mountain but hung up after being on hold for a couple of minutes waiting for the gun counter to pick up.

Since I wasn't able to find any more .357 and didn't want to shoot up all that I had, yesterday I decided to see how the Ruger would do with my .38 Special reloads. So far, I have only done two .38 loads so I took a few of each to test them out. I shot them from the same distance and stance as the .357 I shot the previous day. I also decided to try both single and double action with both loads. One thing I found was that, although it is possible to 'stage' the trigger a bit I really didn't do very well when I tried as I tended to shoot low. The trigger is pretty smooth, I think, and I found that I had better results just pulling/squeezing the trigger straight through.

Anyhow, more pics so it actually happened:

The target on the left represents my single action results with this load. All six shots are represented - I actually managed to put three shots into that one large, ragged hole at the bottom/left of the bullseye. The target on the right was double action and I was trying to 'stage' the trigger on at least some of the shots.

IMG_20140413_132531_920.jpg

IMG_20140413_132521_344.jpg

IMG_20140413_132526_752.jpg

Again, the target on the left represents single action and the one on the right was double action. The four holes closest to the bullseye show the results of my giving up on staging the trigger and just pulling straight through.

IMG_20140413_132410_550.jpg

IMG_20140413_132415_693.jpg

• Like 3

very nice!

My wife bought a GP100 not long ago (late last year, fall sometime?)  and it was new with the wooden inserts so if they stopped making the wood, it is very recent.  ??

This gun is the most well designed pistol I have had the pleasure to work on.   We bought a new set of springs an it now has a very easy DAO action, took no effort at all to tear it down to install them.  

She won;t let me shoot it much :( 

very nice!

My wife bought a GP100 not long ago (late last year, fall sometime?)  and it was new with the wooden inserts so if they stopped making the wood, it is very recent.  ??

This gun is the most well designed pistol I have had the pleasure to work on.   We bought a new set of springs an it now has a very easy DAO action, took no effort at all to tear it down to install them.  

She won;t let me shoot it much :(

Thanks!  Hmmm...maybe I am wrong about the wood insert thing.

Of course, having just said how happy I am about the wood inserts, I couldn't help but think how nice they would look with horn/antler inserts, instead.  I started looking and so far I found this:

http://www.sackpeterson.com/models/GP100.html

And yep, I was right - it does look good, IMO.

EDIT:  Oh, and having seen your wife shoot I have to say that if she is anywhere near as good with that GP100 as she is with her .22s I almost feel sorry for any scumbag that gives her a reason to use it.  Almost.

Edited by JAB

Thanks!  Hmmm...maybe I am wrong about the wood insert thing.

Of course, having just said how happy I am about the wood inserts,

Ruger onsite shows all current standard models with the Hogue Monogrips, like my 6 incher:

1707.jpg

The do show one Talo distributor option with the insert:

1753.jpg

and the Match Champion with all wood:

1754.jpg

- OS

I know the 6" barrels have a purpose, but I'm hopelessly addicted to 3 and 4 inch barreled guns.

One of my personal favorite revolvers is a 3" Smith Model 19 with a T-grip handle. I bought it from a LEO who carried it as a bug for a while. Didn't really like his price, but after seeing and holding it, I happily(almost) gave him 500 for it.

Never regretted it.

• Like 1

I have owned blackhawks, super blackhawks, a couple of 357's and really liked them all. But I was young back then (35 years or so ago) and traveled construction and seemed to always have to sell one to get to the next job. I wasn't too good taking care of my money back in those days, but, they were like money in the bank if you got in a pinch.  

It's always nice to go to the LGS and find a jewel like you did. Being able to come to a deal is even sweeter.!!!  Congrats!

Great trade up. You won't be disappointed or dissatisfied with the GP-100. I have the 4.2 inch half lug configuration with the monogrips. It will be pried from my hands on my deathbed! When you have some time and money, run all the ammo you can in her. My Ruger seems to like the moderate to heavyweight .357 and 38 Special +P loads for accuracy as opposed to the medium power 125 grain self-defense rounds or .38 Special target ammo.   

Ruger sucks.  I hate my two Super Redhawks. 

We shouldn't both have to suffer, so I'll take the burden from you.

Just drop it by here.  It's not a long drive for you.

B.

You poor fellah.  That's mighty nice of you to offer but I just couldn't do that to ya.  Tell you what, as I am already shouldering the burden of this GP100 and a Super Blackhawk in .44 Mag, I think I am strong enough to help you out a little.  Why don't you just let me ease your suffering by taking those Super Redhawks over.  I'd even be willing to come by and pick them up and won't even charge you a dime.  That's the kind of guy I am.

The Ruger gp100 isn't shooting straight, I would give it away, to me. ;) Just kidding.

Enjoy your new wheel gun.

It wouldn't be fair to saddle you with such a crooked shooting gun.  I should probably just keep it. :nervous:

I know the 6" barrels have a purpose, but I'm hopelessly addicted to 3 and 4 inch barreled guns.

One of my personal favorite revolvers is a 3" Smith Model 19 with a T-grip handle. I bought it from a LEO who carried it as a bug for a while. Didn't really like his price, but after seeing and holding it, I happily(almost) gave him 500 for it.

Never regretted it.

I think if I were going with a six inch barrel on pretty much any revolver then I would just as soon get a single action.  Oh, wait, I did!  My SBH has a 7.5 inch barrel.  My Heritage Rough Rider has a 6.5 inch barrel, for that matter.  Those both get carried, sometimes, but as woods guns, not in public.  For something I might carry 'in public', four inches is about the limit.

I don't have any 3 inch revolvers but I just keep thinking that such a set up might be the best compromise in a .357.  A revolver with a 4 inch barrel can be carried concealed but it ain't always easy.  A .357 with a 2 inch barrel likely gives up a lot of the power of .357 and has a really short sight radius so in that size I am probably just about as well off with my 642 loaded with .38+P.  A 3 incher seems like it would be a little easier to carry concealed than a 4 while giving the bullet a little longer in the barrel (to better utilize .357) and having a better sight radius than a two inch,  That said, if I am only going to have one .357 Magnum (which is currently the case), I want it to have a 4 inch barrel.

Edited by JAB

Boy did you miss up! Now you gotta get new speedloaders and holsters.......  :rofl:

New Gun Days are always great days, specially when you find something you been hunting for. 

I didn't carry the Taurus a whole lot so the only holster I had for it was a FOBUS.  The Ruger won't fit in that FOBUS so you are right - a new holster is in order.  I am going to make a leather holster for it, though, so it won't be a big deal.  I will probably carry the Ruger a little more often than I did the Taurus so I am thinking a nice pancake holster that will hold it so that the trigger is about even with the belt line and give it a slight forward cant.

For reloads, I largely use speed strips as they are flatter and more compact for carry.