Dremel newbie

So I was in Wal Mart today and decided I was tired of always reading about people using this wonderful invention for so many things and not having my own. I decided to go with the middle of the road of their selection and got the 200. But when I got home, I thought to myself that I should have asked someone or done some research. I want to ask if the 200 is good enough for my first go around with a Dremel, but I know that leads to the question "What do you plan to do with it?" and I just don't know, probably all kinds of stuff. I watched a video last night of a guy cutting his front sight post down on an AR and making a low profile gas block for the installation of a free float handguard. That really got me wanting one since it seemed so versatile.

Am I going to be limited on strength with the 200? I know that it only has the 2 speeds whereas the bigger 3000 and 4000 have more range of speeds. I don't mind just using this one, but if I'm going to be upset as soon as I use it on something important, I don't want to have to go buy the bigger one in the middle of a project.

Input? Experiences with the 200? All is appreciated!

Practice a lot on something cheap before trying it out on something critical. It is really easy to turn something into garbage, quickly!

Definitely! No way I would risk using a new tool on something I didn't want to mess up. I have plenty of scrap stuff to practice on. I'm more concerned with size/power. I reckon it wouldn't hurt to just use it for now and if I am not happy I can get a bigger one. I was just curious if anyone used a 200 and found it to be for extremely small projects. I'm watching some YouTube videos now to try and get an idea.

Get one with more speed settings! I would also HIGHLY recommend getting the setup that comes with the "flex shaft" because I almost never use the Dremel without it. You can be much much more precise with it and you don't start getting a charley horse 60 seconds into the job. I guess it depends what you are willing to spend but it's kinda like a reloading press in that the best method is to buy once and cry once because the one I have is at least 12yrs old now. I wouldn't buy the Dremel brand bit set (other than what comes with it) though because Northern Tool has a 200 (I think) piece set for less than $20 and I've had great luck with the quality. There may be certain types, grits, shapes and sizes that you want that aren't included in the set but the Northern Tool set covers 90%+ of anything I need to do with it. If I were buying one again I would at least go with one that has multiple speed settings and compatible with the flex shaft. I think you can even buy the flex shaft separate for around $30 if you wanted to hold off on that for now but I would definitely make sure that whatever I bought was compatible because if you ever use one with it you WILL have to have one of your own, like I said earlier, I almost never use mine without it.

• Like 3

One more thing, I have a couple straight carbide burrs for it (look like a drill bit from a few feet away) and I have found them to be the most used bit in my collection. I can text you pics of exactly which ones tomorrow if you want. They tend to be easier to control than a lot of the materiel removing type bits that I've tried and are capable of removing large amounts quickly without gouging the work piece. Text me tomorrow and remind me to send pics if you want them. 

• Like 1

Agree with Luke, I installed a flex shaft on mine about 7 years ago and it has never been removed.

Two things I would personally recommend and I burn through a lot of these:

3m bristle discs ( I use them on everything from a 3/4" dremel attachment to a 6" wheel on a grinder cause they are awesome) 

http://solutions.3m.com/wps/portal/3M/en_US/Marine/Home/Products/Catalog/?PC_Z7_RJH9U5230GE3E02LECIE20S4K7000000_nid=1V4RW4V6P8beRJ5GMFSMV0gl

The bristle discs are great for polishing stuff, but try not to run them over 5000 rpm, then wear down and break off fast if you do.  These are much safer to use in polishing the machining marks on feed ramps than a stone or sand paper attachment.

second thing would be a sanding drum and disc kit (various shapes and grits).  the packs they sell at the box stores aren't any good, you can get cheaper ones online with cones, drums, discs etc.. 

• Like 1
If working on precision stuff then do as Sam suggested and get quality pieces. I have a few nice bits and pads but it seems like mine gets used for rougher work so using the cheap stuff work fine for that. You will love being one of the Elite that owns a Dremel ;)
  • Like 1

Get one with more speed settings! I would also HIGHLY recommend getting the setup that comes with the "flex shaft" because I almost never use the Dremel without it. You can be much much more precise with it and you don't start getting a charley horse 60 seconds into the job. I guess it depends what you are willing to spend but it's kinda like a reloading press in that the best method is to buy once and cry once because the one I have is at least 12yrs old now. I wouldn't buy the Dremel brand bit set (other than what comes with it) though because Northern Tool has a 200 (I think) piece set for less than $20 and I've had great luck with the quality. There may be certain types, grits, shapes and sizes that you want that aren't included in the set but the Northern Tool set covers 90%+ of anything I need to do with it. If I were buying one again I would at least go with one that has multiple speed settings and compatible with the flex shaft. I think you can even buy the flex shaft separate for around $30 if you wanted to hold off on that for now but I would definitely make sure that whatever I bought was compatible because if you ever use one with it you WILL have to have one of your own, like I said earlier, I almost never use mine without it.

That's what I figured I would hear Luke. I saw the flex shaft on some of the YouTube videos, so it's that helpful huh? Hmmm. I'm glad to know that I don't have to buy only Dremel brand bits, those suckers are high! I'll check out Northern Tool for one of those sets. I assume I'll probably use the little cut off wheels more than anything, but I'm sure I'll find uses for all of them. Thanks for all the info brother!!

Agree with Luke, I installed a flex shaft on mine about 7 years ago and it has never been removed.

Two things I would personally recommend and I burn through a lot of these:

3m bristle discs ( I use them on everything from a 3/4" dremel attachment to a 6" wheel on a grinder cause they are awesome) 

http://solutions.3m.com/wps/portal/3M/en_US/Marine/Home/Products/Catalog/?PC_Z7_RJH9U5230GE3E02LECIE20S4K7000000_nid=1V4RW4V6P8beRJ5GMFSMV0gl

The bristle discs are great for polishing stuff, but try not to run them over 5000 rpm, then wear down and break off fast if you do.  These are much safer to use in polishing the machining marks on feed ramps than a stone or sand paper attachment.

second thing would be a sanding drum and disc kit (various shapes and grits).  the packs they sell at the box stores aren't any good, you can get cheaper ones online with cones, drums, discs etc.. 

Thanks Sam, I would have figured those would have been too aggressive for feed ramps just by looking at them. Thanks for the info though, I'll definitely pick some up. So as far as the sanding drum/discs, go with the 3M also?

Thanks for the tip on Northern Tool, Luke.

I've used Dremel tools for years as a hobbiests' best friend. You can do things with them most people wouldn't think possible. And the flex shaft kit is a great addition to anyones' set. It is amazing just by itself.

I had a real nice setup until some flash flooding in our garage last year, and just haven't replaced it all yet.

Thanks Sam, I would have figured those would have been too aggressive for feed ramps just by looking at them. Thanks for the info though, I'll definitely pick some up. So as far as the sanding drum/discs, go with the 3M also?

They're flexible rubber and the fingers have grit ratings as the abrasive material is embedded into them.  Jewelers use them all the time to polish stones with, so don't worry about using them too heavily on metal, most of the ones I use on feed ramps are at most a 60 grit - remember that you can't use pressure on them so a heavier grit is usually necessary than what you would expect.

100 grit is the absolute highest I would use on finishing anything with though, anything higher than that is just for jewelry

Edited by Sam1
Guest Lester Weevils

I don't have one, but looks like the ultimate dremel is made by proxxon-- 

http://www.homedepot.com/p/Proxxon-Professional-Rotary-Tool-IBS-E-38481/203459884?N=5yc1vZc2fp

Had an old dremel that was great. After decades it burned up and got a battery dremel that wasn't cheap, and it sucked. Low power and short batt life.

So got a $30 HF dremel clone that is almost as good as my old dremel from the early 1980's. HF also sells a cheap footswitch, well made, perfect for use with rotary tool.

Edit: Wear safety glasses!

Want a bigger hammer? Rotozip! Dremel on steroids. Count yer fingers afterwards! :)

Edited by Lester Weevils
Definitely the variable speed is useful. Top speed is often just too fast. Probably my most used item is the cutting disks. I keep looking at the flex adapter but it's always just a little too pricey. I think I would generally avoid using a Dremel on any of my firearms unless I was doubly sure it was the right tool for the job because usually it's easier to take away than put back.
Variable speed. x 1,000
Flex shaft. x 1,000
Practicing first so you don't end up with butchered work. x 1,000
Safety glasses. x 10,000

Have fun with the one you have if its already out of the box. Mess around with it and you'll soon feel as though you could build a whole house with it given enough time and cut off wheels.

Hands down absoletute coolest accesory IMO is here http://www.stewmac.com/shop/Tools/Special_tools_for_Routing/Precision_Router_Bases/Precision_Router_Base.html

My Dremel is on the way out, poor things been with me about 15 years. I really want to replace it with something nice, but I don't use it nearly as much as I did in my teens and early twenties. I've got a few really cheap cordless models, but they suck. I might just bite the bullet and get a really sweet low speed, high torque model like http://www.stewmac.com/shop/Tools/Routers/Foredom_Power_Tools/Foredom_Power_Tool_with_Precision_Router_Base_Set.html?actn=100101&xst=1&xsr=5260

Not as fast, but supposedly very smooth to work with and would probably last the rest of my life. Doubt I would need the extra rpm as these apparently handle downward pressure without bogging out.

But I'll probable end up at harbor freight. :rolleyes:

TrickyNicky
StewMac!!!!!   ... now that is a convergence of universes!    At first, it just felt like I was reading "Brownells".... then it hit me.  It's the other "I want one of almost every tool they carry" place.

too funny.

Haha yeah, a dangerous website for sure! Luckily I don't mess around with repairs much any more so haven't needed anything from them in a while. They have a lot of cool stuff, but I always try to build what they sell since they are awful proud of their stuff. Still, nothing else works quite as well as the right tool. :rolleyes:
Guest Lester Weevils

TrickyNicky

StewMac!!!!!   ... now that is a convergence of universes!    At first, it just felt like I was reading "Brownells".... then it hit me.  It's the other "I want one of almost every tool they carry" place.

too funny.

If you like looking at weird tools, taint nothing quite like piano tech tools. They look kinda like something out of a midieval torturers toolbox.

Schaff has the big assortment, but it isn't fun to browse because the schaff site is just a bunch of pdf catalogs to download. Here is a browsable site that has a subset anyway--

http://www.amspianotools.com/store/cart.php

I got out in the garage for awhile and tinkered with it today. MAN! I want more accessories! This thing is cool as sliced bread :) Since I didn't get the big starter package, I had limited accessories to try out but going to get more soon. Luke I reckon I will pick up the one you mentioned at Northern Tool. I think I will keep this one and maybe pick up the 4000 later. Nothing wrong with having two right? Haha Thanks to everyone posting, I'm loving all the input and direction to options for this.

When it comes to polishing feed ramps or any other firearm part do not even think about using the sanding drums or IMO any other grit bearing bit. Northern Tool also sells bars of "jeweler's rouge" of carrying grit for polishing everything from plastic to stainless to brass and everywhere in between. Get the right bar of rouge and some of the bits than are just a dense cotton wad and spin it in the rouge and polish away. I believe the rouge bars are less than $2 each there so I went ahead and bought 1 of each and provided I don't lose it that should be a lifetime supply. You will be very happy to have a Dremel in the arsenal and it will have earned it's keep after the first time you need it.

Edited by Luke E.