Recoil Comparison Question

mhl6493

I recently bought a Smith and Wesson 442.  I've taken it to the range a couple of times now, with the same experience each time -- with standard, plain old Federal .38 special rounds, it literally hurts me to shoot it.  Seriously.  The web of my hand between my thumb and index finger is in pain after 1 shot -- won't even say what it feels like after a whole cylinder full.  

I had heard that the airweight snubbies were "snappy," but I wasn't expecting the pain.  I have shot a Ruger LCP, Smith and Wesson 640, Springfield XDs .45, and a Ruger GP100.  I can feel the recoil on some of them pretty significantly, but none of them hurt to shoot.  Recoil I can handle -- pain I don't want.

I'm actually considering trading the 442 in on something else -- maybe a "pocket 9" of some sort.  I'm wondering, how does the felt recoil of the 442 compare to, say, a Ruger LC9?  I know recoil can be a subjective thing and is hard to quantify, but I was hoping to get some ideas from others' experience.  Thanks!

I had the same problem with the ruger lcrx,because I couldn't grip the gun high enough on the frame. I shot two cylinders and that was enough. I could shoot the LCR without pain, but I only shot 38's. I have a few gp100's and never had that problem even with the 3" barrel.
I carry a s&w shield in 9mm and shoot a few round through it every month. For winter carry I will carry one of my gp100's with 357 mag or a Beretta m9 or shield in 9mm.

I did carry 45's but my hands are old so now I stick with 9mm or 357 for carry and 38spl or 9mm for target shooting. JMHO ;)
Joe
  • Like 1

I carry a s&w shield in 9mm and shoot a few round through it every month. For winter carry I will carry one of my gp100's with 357 mag or a Beretta m9 or shield in 9mm.

Little Shields are amazing for how well they handle powerful rounds.

I am a huge fan of snubbies but the ever so popular Airweights are terrible to shoot. A 20oz 60/649/640 in 38spl weighs only a deglible amount more but is a dream to shoot. I have completely cleaned my collection of Airweight j frames. I do have a LCR and a 16 oz CA Undercover that is actually smaller than a j frame though.
  • Like 1

....I am a huge fan of snubbies but the ever so popular Airweights are terrible to shoot. A 20oz 60/649/640 in 38spl weighs only a deglible amount more but is a dream to shoot....

The low weight of the 442 is great for carry but not fun to shoot a +P round.

• Like 1

....I am a huge fan of snubbies but the ever so popular Airweights are terrible to shoot. A 20oz 60/649/640 in 38spl weighs only a deglible amount more but is a dream to shoot....

The low weight of the 442 is great for carry but not fun to shoot a +P round.

Yeah, I love snubbies too.  I won't be parting with my 640 anytime soon.  But I just couldn't handle even regular loads out of the 442.  I had a chance to shoot about 45 rounds through the Glock 19 yesterday evening.  I was prepared to be underwhelmed because of all the "Glock Hype" I've heard/read.  But I can honestly say that I'm impressed.  Very impressed.  Probably won't be my last piece of "tupperware" with a "G" on it...  :D

Done drunk the Kool-aid... :)

Yeah, I know...  :D Honestly, if the 442 had been my only snubbie, I would have kept it and experimented with grips.  But with the 640 around, it was easier to let it go to fill a caliber gap.  I must admit, I do have a soft spot for my revolvers...

Find a Smith Scandium .357  to shoot five rounds from. Every other revolver will seem like a pussy cat ever after.

- OS

I believe my Taurus alloyed frame .44 Spec. can top that.

But, speaking of .38 snubbie comparison; an old Taurus 5-shot steel framed 38 is way more punishing than an old alloyed frame Colt Cobra I inherited. Both with stock wooden grips.

I believe my Taurus alloyed frame .44 Spec. can top that.

I actually doubt that.

I desperately want to own a S&W 242. It is the titanium L frame 357 mag. If I ever get one I probably will never even shoot a magnum from it.

Find a Smith Scandium .357  to shoot five rounds from. Every other revolver will seem like a pussy cat ever after.

- OS

The little 340PD loaded with .357 Magnums is the only handgun that I've ever shot that I have absolutely no desire to shoot again.

I've put thousands of rounds through my little Model 37, shot .500 S&Ws, .50AE Desert Eagles, crazy rifle rounds out of single-shot pistols.... no problem.

The little ultra-light .357 literally felt like hitting my wrist with a hammer.   :yuck: 

I had a chance Saturday to shoot a friend's little Taurus polymer .357 revolver -- not sure the exact model.  Definitely had quite kick to it, and I certainly wouldn't want to shoot more than a cylinder full.  But even THAT didn't physically hurt my hand like the 442 did.  Something about that exposed backstrap I guess...

I had a chance Saturday to shoot a friend's little Taurus polymer .357 revolver -- not sure the exact model. Definitely had quite kick to it, and I certainly wouldn't want to shoot more than a cylinder full. But even THAT didn't physically hurt my hand like the 442 did. Something about that exposed backstrap I guess...

I believe you. So you think your 640 w/magnum is easier to shoot than an airweight?

I believe you. So you think your 640 w/magnum is easier to shoot than an airweight?

Follow up shots weren't easier -- definitely had some flip and punch to it.  But there wasn't any pain with the 357 mag load in the 640 like there was in the 442.  

Follow up shots weren't easier -- definitely had some flip and punch to it.  But there wasn't any pain with the 357 mag load in the 640 like there was in the 442.

While I think they are pretty close in comparision I expected others to think the magnum would have been more.

While I think they are pretty close in comparision I expected others to think the magnum would have been more.

Overall, it was definitely more on the magnum -- just in a different way.  I really think the exposed backstrap on the 442 made the difference and caused the pain.

When you start to get that big and heavy... a 2 or 3" K-frame starts to look pretty appealing too.... and you get one more shot.

That is the the thing I have said for years. I found it to be true...
BDE6C401-2C1E-4DEF-AE56-6A75DFB5F8B4-920
I think I am an ounce heavier with a 64 and about three with a 65. Edited by Patton
  • Like 2
  • 3 weeks later...
I had a j-frame airweight and didn't like shooting it either. It would tear the top of my middle finger up, and I was inaccurate as heck with it. Moved to a Kahr pm45, loved the feel of it, but it had a lot of issues. If I were you I would try the Kahr cm9, I really like the size and feel of those. I personally went to a Glock 26 and could not be happier, but it is a bit larger.
  • Like 1