Where to Buy RAM Memory Cheap?

Maybe one of you computer guys can help me out. I have an older model HP Pavilion desktop computer with a 32 bit system & 2GB of DDR2 RAM, but I want to upgrade to 4GB of RAM without spending a ton of money. Does anyone know where I can pick up some new or even used RAM cheap? Before anyone tells me to buy a new computer...we're planning to, but it will be a few more months. In the meantime I'm going to run this one until the tires fall off. :rofl:

Question 2...

We just upgraded from 1.3MB DSL up to 5MB broadband & now the computer actually runs slower with the broadband. I'm using a N150 USB Wifi adapter & now the computer is bogging down a lot. Would more RAM help bring some life back because my computer shouldn't run slower on a faster connection?

I've had good luck buying memory off ebay for older systems. Great way to get a bit extra life from them.

An important factor in how much memory will help is which OS you are using. I'm guessing you're probably on XP so 4GB should be good but 7 really needs 8GB to be comfortable.

Edited by tnguy

Answer #1) Fry electronics or Newegg would be where I start looking. I used to upgrade my Desktop PC every two years by buying a MB, Chipset, and Ram and putting it

all together. Avergae price for the whole mess was around $140. If I had to upgrade the power supply or video card that would increase the expense.

Answer #2) Not sure.  Are you using the LAN ethernet cable from the router to the computer? I gather you want the wireless for laptops around the house?

You should have a router from your IP.  You can plug that in directly to the computer and see if there's a difference.

I'm also curious as to who's the IP provider? Comcast? Roadrunner? AT&T?  

Maybe one of you computer guys can help me out. I have an older model HP Pavilion desktop computer with a 32 bit system & 2GB of DDR2 RAM, but I want to upgrade to 4GB of RAM without spending a ton of money. Does anyone know where I can pick up some new or even used RAM cheap? Before anyone tells me to buy a new computer...we're planning to, but it will be a few more months. In the meantime I'm going to run this one until the tires fall off. :rofl:

Question 2...

We just upgraded from 1.3MB DSL up to 5MB broadband & now the computer actually runs slower with the broadband. I'm using a N150 USB Wifi adapter & now the computer is bogging down a lot. Would more RAM help bring some life back because my computer shouldn't run slower on a faster connection?

1)  Comparison shopping won't be hard.  I upgraded from 4GB to 16 GB and used amazon.com out of convenience.  The prices differences aren't as big as you might think if you stick to computer equipment vendors- newegg, tigerdirect, ect...  Don't even think about buying off the rack at Best Buy or any other big stores that love it when people don't know what they are looking at.  If you need help deciding if somewhere is a fair price, PM me and I'll tell you if I'd buy it.

It also depends on if your current 2GB is 2x 1GB sticks, or one stick with one slot open and you only need another stick, or you have one slot only and need a 4GB stick.

I've had good luck buying memory off ebay for older systems. Great way to get a bit extra life from them.

An important factor in how much memory will help is which OS you are using. I'm guessing you're probably on XP so 4GB should be good but 7 really needs 8GB to be comfortable.

2)  tnguy is right.  The OS makes more of a difference than anything.  So, give us the specs and we can help more.  On that note...

I've been done with 32-bit systems for a while now.  They are too limiting for me since anything over 4GB of RAM isn't usable.  Going forward, I'd advise anybody to spend the extra bit for a 64-bit OS.  You'll be able to get a longer life out of your system from it.

I may have some 2 gig ddr2 chips.

Give me a shout if you find out. Thanks.

1)  Comparison shopping won't be hard.  I upgraded from 4GB to 16 GB and used amazon.com out of convenience.  The prices differences aren't as big as you might think if you stick to computer equipment vendors- newegg, tigerdirect, ect...  Don't even think about buying off the rack at Best Buy or any other big stores that love it when people don't know what they are looking at.  If you need help deciding if somewhere is a fair price, PM me and I'll tell you if I'd buy it.

It also depends on if your current 2GB is 2x 1GB sticks, or one stick with one slot open and you only need another stick, or you have one slot only and need a 4GB stick.

2)  tnguy is right.  The OS makes more of a difference than anything.  So, give us the specs and we can help more.  On that note...

I've been done with 32-bit systems for a while now.  They are too limiting for me since anything over 4GB of RAM isn't usable.  Going forward, I'd advise anybody to spend the extra bit for a 64-bit OS.  You'll be able to get a longer life out of your system from it.

I'm checking ebay & don't mind used chips, but most of the sellers either have server memory or aren't sure & I'm not that computer literate myself. We're going to upgrade to a new computer after this upcoming school semester, but I'm stuck with my 32bit system for the time being. When buying memory does ECC/non-ECC matter?

Here's what I've got....

HP Pavilion a1712n

Vista Home Premium

2x1GB DDR PC2-5200

Answer #1) Fry electronics or Newegg would be where I start looking. I used to upgrade my Desktop PC every two years by buying a MB, Chipset, and Ram and putting it

all together. Avergae price for the whole mess was around $140. If I had to upgrade the power supply or video card that would increase the expense.

Answer #2) Not sure.  Are you using the LAN ethernet cable from the router to the computer? I gather you want the wireless for laptops around the house?

You should have a router from your IP.  You can plug that in directly to the computer and see if there's a difference.

I'm also curious as to who's the IP provider? Comcast? Roadrunner? AT&T?  

My provider has a monopoly in my area so we have to use them. (Highland Telephone Co-Op) If it tells you anything, we've been paying $85 for phone service & 1.5GB DSL. It's only about 18 feet, but we have to run it wireless because of the location of the router. My wifes laptop is running fine & fast right now, but my desktop computer is lagging really bad since the broadband was connected a few hours ago. Since it was working fine with the DSL I think it either needs more RAM to cope with the Wifi USB adapter I'm using or it's the USB adapter itself causing the lag. Either way, more RAM won't hurt.

Give me a shout if you find out. Thanks.

I'm checking ebay & don't mind used chips, but most of the sellers either have server memory or aren't sure & I'm not that computer literate myself. We're going to upgrade to a new computer after this upcoming school semester, but I'm stuck with my 32bit system for the time being. When buying memory does ECC/non-ECC matter?

Here's what I've got....

HP Pavilion a1712n

Vista Home Premium

2x1GB DDR PC2-5200

ECC/non-ECC isn't a big deal for home use.

Are you sure you don't have DDR2 chips in there now?  That's what the specs from HP are saying.

You should have two more slots for RAM to go in, I'd recommend buying and popping in two more of these if you do indeed have DDR2- http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?gclid=Cj0KEQjw3vyeBRDt673h5ZTYrdQBEiQAzhkf8p-qZCY-YyhNrPFLz3AbLRVQad3kOK2JTw5jZWxBIrEaAtg58P8HAQ&Item=N82E16820134045&nm_mc=KNC-GoogleAdwords&cm_mmc=KNC-GoogleAdwords-_-pla-_-Desktop+Memory-_-N82E16820134045&ef_id=U9-5@gAAAKCI7L0V:20140804212410:s

The system you have now actually limits what you can do to upgrade it.  You'll notice light years of difference when you make your upgrade.

Edited by btq96r

http://pcpartpicker.com

Click on memory at the top. Scroll down a bit until you see the Speed section on the right hand side. Click show all and place a check mark by the DDR2 memory/speed that you like. Sort by price.

It's an extremely useful tool when finding parts and building a system. The site can check for compatibility errors so you don't end up mistakenly buying something that isn't going to fit your system. 

Edit: I should also add to keep an eye on the modules too, since you are looking for 1x 2GB stick and not 2x 1GB.

Edited by Metalhead

ECC/non-ECC isn't a big deal for home use.

Are you sure you don't have DDR2 chips in there now?  That's what the specs from HP are saying.

You should have two more slots for RAM to go in, I'd recommend buying and popping in two more of these if you do indeed have DDR2- http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?gclid=Cj0KEQjw3vyeBRDt673h5ZTYrdQBEiQAzhkf8p-qZCY-YyhNrPFLz3AbLRVQad3kOK2JTw5jZWxBIrEaAtg58P8HAQ&Item=N82E16820134045&nm_mc=KNC-GoogleAdwords&cm_mmc=KNC-GoogleAdwords-_-pla-_-Desktop+Memory-_-N82E16820134045&ef_id=U9-5@gAAAKCI7L0V:20140804212410:s

The system you have now actually limits what you can do to upgrade it.  You'll notice light years of difference when you make your upgrade.

Yes. They're DDR2. Our mother board went out a few years ago & when we had it replaced the asshat computer shop installed a Gigabyte brand (even though we requested HP brand) & we were stuck with only two memory slots. I still have the original 512MB RAM chips that came in the computer collecting dust. (yes, my HP originally only had one GB of RAM from the factory :surrender: )

Edited by luvmyberetta

Our mother board went out a few years ago & when we had it replaced the asshat computer shop installed a Gigabyte brand (even though we requested HP brand) & we were stuck with only two memory slots. I still have the original 512MB RAM chips that came in the computer collecting dust. (yes, my HP originally only had one GB of RAM from the factory :surrender: )

Two of these should do you then;

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?gclid=CP3SvMrL-r8CFSMV7AodbBUA6A&Item=N82E16820159020&nm_mc=KNC-GoogleAdwords&cm_mmc=KNC-GoogleAdwords-_-pla-_-Desktop+Memory-_-N82E16820159020&ef_id=U@AAFgAAAdyh3RQl:20140804215014:s

Your upgrade cannot come fast enough.

That's about a 4 1/2 hour round trip for me, but if I'm over that way anytime soon I'll check.

Just remember Bass Pro is 1/2 mile away, Buds 5 miles away and SMKW 5 miles away.  Thats a road trip.  The RAM memory is just an after thought.

If it is a Gigabyte from a couple of years ago it takes newer ram. When you boot up it tells you what model the motherboard is and then you can look up the memory specs to use on Google. And if you can use them I have 2 sticks of KVR667D2/2GR. They are 2 gigabytes each.

Send me your address and they are yours. I only I ask for two things in return. First, if they do not work please send them back so if someone else needs them I have them. And second, if you see someone else on the board you can help please do. 

Edited by Dolomite_supafly

ECC/non-ECC are not compatible (as I have found out to my detriment before). I suspect that some non-ECC boards may be able to take ECC but I have certainly experienced where it didn't.

I will also say this: Your computer is really old. You would benefit greatly from even a cheap motherboard/CPU upgrade and you may find that the newer memory is cheaper than the old stuff (old memory is often out-of-production and rarer and therefore more expensive). Only you can speak to your finances but you should price it up. A new motherboard/cpu/memory combo can be had for well under 200

Edited by tnguy

Are you guys reading what he has posted?

He did have an upgraded motherboard installed a few years ago. A two year old motherboard is hardly old.

Yes. They're DDR2. Our mother board went out a few years ago & when we had it replaced the asshat computer shop installed a Gigabyte brand (even though we requested HP brand) & we were stuck with only two memory slots. I still have the original 512MB RAM chips that came in the computer collecting dust. (yes, my HP originally only had one GB of RAM from the factory :surrender: )

Two would be couple, not few and time flies. But if it's 32 bit and he only has 2G, that implies old to me (and believe me, I hang on to my hardware as long as possible). And was it even new then?

Edited by tnguy

If it is a Gigabyte from a couple of years ago it takes newer ram. When you boot up it tells you what model the motherboard is and then you can look up the memory specs to use on Google. And if you can use them I have 2 sticks of KVR667D2/2GR. They are 2 gigabytes each.

Send me your address and they are yours. I only I ask for two things in return. First, if they do not work please send them back so if someone else needs them I have them. And second, if you see someone else on the board you can help please do. 

Thank you Dolomite. I would be very greatful. We had the motherboard, hard drive, & power supply replaced only three years ago so it's not very old. From what I see I think those should work fine, but I'm far from being an expert on computers. The current chips are Corsair DDR2 PC2 5200. The motherboard supports DDR2 1066/800/667/533 MHz memory modules & it looks like yours are 667 so I believe they will work. Here are the motherboard specs from Gigabyte's website if it helps..... http://www.gigabyte.com/products/product-page.aspx?pid=3498#sp

Edited by luvmyberetta
Guest Broomhead

I'm pretty sure I have a few of those lying around too. I took them out of newish laptops (2-4 years old tops) so I'm not 100% sure what they are, or what size, without digging them out. I you want them I will dig them out for you.