Store being robbed.

At about 1:38am I am standing there pumping my gas eating some beef jerkey.Then at about 1:40am a truck with two men, pull up to the pump next to me.They head inside. No big deal right?

About 30sec later they both run out and have a bunch of beer. They were kinda jogging.

At this point,I realized what was happening.I pocket carry a glock 27(in a pocket holster).

I reach in my pocket,and got a good grip.

So this is where i think i made the right call.

I didnt do anything,just stood there.They didnt come close to me and I didnt think I should risk all the bad things that could happen.

So they tossed the beer in the back of the truck and took off.

The lady clerk ran out. She was talking on the phone and I think she got the plate number.I asked her if she had been robbed.

Of corse with all the stuff going on she didnt respond.

I got in my car and drove off.

What would you have done differently?

Sorry  end rant.

Nothing. You were not threatened with serious bodily harm or death, and you had no cause to believe that anyone else had either, so it sounds like you did the right thing. Theft of retail merchandise or cash is not worth escalating into a physical confrontation, struggle, or gun fight in which life may be lost, especially if it's not your own. Be hyper aware of your extended surroundings. When something doesn't seem right, immediately leave the area or prepare for the worst. Only draw your gun if you are at imminent risk of serious bodily harm or death, in which case you should be prepared to shoot as soon as the gun is on target. When the potential threat is gone, report any possible crimes or suspicious activities then go on your way.
  • Like 3

the store that "she who must be obeyed" works at had a guy come in on a Sunday morning.  He walked back to the beer cooler.  Grabbed a twelve pack and walked right out the door. I doubt it being too early to buy beer had anything to do with it.  There was nothing she could do.  Even if she got a license number or for some reason knew his name address and phone number the police would not do anything

All that and as well, thieves know no boundaries.

I certainly would not pull a gun to stop a grab and run when the police don't care about it.   Nothing good would come of it,

Edited by Mike.357

Your immediate actions seem correct from your accounting.  Possibly being a little better witness with details may be helpful in this circumstance.  That of course means sticking around if needed.  Let's play 'what if'  an employee had been stabbed...etc.  The information you provided may be crucial in follow-up arrests.

Edited by chances R
  • Like 1

Right call.  Even driving off, sounds like you seen the clerk who was ok and she gave the descriptions of the perps and vehicle so not much more you could of offered.  For that kind of crime there is no reason to escalate it into an armed confrontation, let the insurance and LEO work it out.

I think you did exactly what you should have done and I would have done. If you would have heard gun shots inside the store that might have made a difference and I would have taken cover with gun in hand at that point to defend myself. I would have gotten license plate # of said truck but not got involved unless my life became threatened................jmho

Anytime someone takes something from someone else without some sort of compensation, wouldn't that be considered theft?

Under a certian ammount it is defined as petty theft, Over a certian ammount it could be considered robbery. We don't know if they pulled a knife or a gun on the clerk, or if they just threatened the clerk. We do know the OP wasn't in any immediate danger and that you don't have the right to pull your firearm to protect property.

Let the Insurance company and Police work it.

You did well in my opinion. As long as I didn't see them have a gun, they wouldn't have seen mine either. Nothing wrong with getting a grip on it in case things went sour.

A great thing about pocket carry is while you look like you're just standing around playing pocket pool, you are in a quite advantageous situation to protect yourself should the need suddenly arise.

Edited by gregintenn

Is this a robbery or petty theft?

Theft (or larceny).

Robbery is theft from a person. Even though people may be present, stealing from a store is not theft from the person.

Burglary is theft via unlawful entry.

- OS