Handgun Permit was denied.

Guest setyourgoals515

Guest setyourgoals515

**********UPDATE**********

I called the TNDoS and talked to a very helpful woman who explained that my military weapons qual that used was not one of the approved forms that they accept. So long story short, I'm going to take a quick class to get my certificate and send it in before my case is closed.

I want to give a shoutout to Oh Shoot for posting the number to TNDoS. You are a saint!

I called the TNDoS and talked to a very helpful woman who explained that my military weapons qual that used was not one of the approved forms that they accept. So long story short, I'm going to take a quick class to get my certificate and send it in before my case is closed.

I want to give a shoutout to Oh Shoot for posting the number to TNDoS. You are a saint!

Ah, well, glad it was something simple. Nothing that another $50-100 and 8 hour class won't fix. :)

- OS

• Like 1

http://www.tn.gov/safety/handgun/handgunfaqs.shtml   Question 8 specifically addresses documentation of military experience for the HCP.  For Navy personnel the only currently acceptable documentation is the DD 2586.  

You may be able to attain a copy of your DD2586 here  https://www.dmdc.osd.mil/tgps/  You will have to request a DS login unless you still have a CAC card.  

Once logged in click on the link that says VMET and follow the on screen instructions from there.    Out of curiosity how long were you a MA

Guest setyourgoals515

Are you active duty?; They can usually submit a memo in lieu of a class. I opted for the class though I have been through numerous military and civilian courses but a memo would of been sufficient at the time I submitted.

No, I was reserves and the forms that our command had were outdated as shit... The thing that bums me out is that when I went to the DMV with all of my paperwork, I asked if this was one of the forms accepted and they told me that it was so I thought I was good to go. I wouldn't have cared if I had to take the class, I just figured I'd try to save myself some money and spend it on ammo instead. Oh naive me... I should have just taken the class and been squared away from the start. Oh well. It was a learning experience for me.

No, I was reserves and the forms that our command had were outdated as ####... The thing that bums me out is that when I went to the DMV with all of my paperwork, I asked if this was one of the forms accepted and they told me that it was so I thought I was good to go. I wouldn't have cared if I had to take the class, I just figured I'd try to save myself some money and spend it on ammo instead. Oh naive me... I should have just taken the class and been squared away from the start. Oh well. It was a learning experience for me.

A learning experience for all of us. Funny where the lessons come from . . .

Guest setyourgoals515

http://www.tn.gov/safety/handgun/handgunfaqs.shtml   Question 8 specifically addresses documentation of military experience for the HCP.  For Navy personnel the only currently acceptable documentation is the DD 2586.  

You may be able to attain a copy of your DD2586 here  https://www.dmdc.osd.mil/tgps/  You will have to request a DS login unless you still have a CAC card.  

Once logged in click on the link that says VMET and follow the on screen instructions from there.    Out of curiosity how long were you a MA

I was an MA for three and a half years. I would totally go through that portal and get my DD2586 if I wasn't pressed for time. You see, my roommate didn't inform me that I received this letter until this past friday. The letter was dated August 9th and with the fact that my case closes after 30 days... I only have a few days to fix this. So, I just decided to take a quick permit class tomorrow. Get it done with and get my certificate and fax it to TNDoS. Thank you for the info though! I might get my self a copy of it just so I have one for the future.

No, I was reserves and the forms that our command had were outdated as ####... The thing that bums me out is that when I went to the DMV with all of my paperwork, I asked if this was one of the forms accepted and they told me that it was so I thought I was good to go. I wouldn't have cared if I had to take the class, I just figured I'd try to save myself some money and spend it on ammo instead. Oh naive me... I should have just taken the class and been squared away from the start. Oh well. It was a learning experience for me.

What'll really burn you is they used to accept a memorandum from an O-3 or above in lieu of an 8 hour course. That's all I submitted with mine to get a permit. The rules have changed it seems.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Guest setyourgoals515

What'll really burn you is they used to accept a memorandum from an O-3 or above in lieu of an 8 hour course. That's all I submitted with mine to get a permit. The rules have changed it seems.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Wow. If I could have just done that... Life would have been much easier.

LOL definitely a sinner  ;)

• Like 1
  • 2 weeks later...
Guest setyourgoals515

**********UPDATE #2**********

Well, I just received my permit yesterday! Thanks to all those who helped me out whether through words of wisdom or advice.

Tennessee wouldn't accept my firearms training I received at the Kentucky Department of Criminal Justice Training basic police academy, my firearms training I took at the academy in Florida, or my Police Firearms Instructor certification I had in Florida. I took that permit class and I literally knew more about shooting and self defense law than the instructor did. It's amazing how idiotic Tennessee's laws are.

Corporate Welfare for ranges and instructors...  The training class could be replaced by a simple test online for $5 and would be just as effective.

Tennessee wouldn't accept my firearms training I received at the Kentucky Department of Criminal Justice Training basic police academy, my firearms training I took at the academy in Florida, or my Police Firearms Instructor certification I had in Florida. I took that permit class and I literally knew more about shooting and self defense law than the instructor did. It's amazing how idiotic Tennessee's laws are.

• Like 1

Corporate Welfare for ranges and instructors...  The training class could be replaced by a simple test online for $5 and would be just as effective.

I see it more as a liability waiver for pants wetters.  It makes people who know nothing about gun owners or carriers feel a little safer about you and I carrying a firearm around.  I don't think anyone is getting rich on permit classes.

Edited by TMF

Due to the different way that states regulate concealed carry, it is probably a good thing that they require a local class. If it was a universal or Federal Permit it would be easier to get every state on the same sheet of music, but that would just open a whole different can of worms.

Nobody is getting rich on regular welfare either...  but it doesn't make the HCP corporate welfare any better ;)

And it's a lot of money...  Figure $75 is the average price for a permit class...  Plus another $25 in ammo...  That's $4 million a year in corporate welfare...  Lets say there are 100 ranges in TN that are performing the vast majority of classes in TN..  That's $40k a year per range...  Maybe there are more ranges... but not a lot more...

$40k in revenue that serves no purpose what so ever...  Less than 1% of people who take the course, fail to pass...  most instructors run a virtually try until you pass guaranty on their courses.  The current method only prevents low income law abiding citizens from being able to carry a firearm for protection... and another roadblock for those law abiding people from quickly gaining access to carry a firearm legally for protection.

Although car carry does a long way to help solve those issues.

Also, there is another $1 million or so in corporate welfare with companies taking finger prints for the permit...  fingerprints which have NEVER been used to solve a single crime.

I see it more as a liability waiver for pants wetters.  It makes people who know nothing about gun owners or carriers feel a little safer about you and I carrying a firearm around.  I don't think anyone is getting rich on permit classes.

Nobody is getting rich on regular welfare either...  but it doesn't make the HCP corporate welfare any better ;)

And it's a lot of money...  Figure $75 is the average price for a permit class...  Plus another $25 in ammo...  That's $4 million a year in corporate welfare...  Lets say there are 100 ranges in TN that are performing the vast majority of classes in TN..  That's $40k a year per range...  Maybe there are more ranges... but not a lot more...

$40k in revenue that serves no purpose what so ever...  Less than 1% of people who take the course, fail to pass...  most instructors run a virtually try until you pass guaranty on their courses.  The current method only prevents low income law abiding citizens from being able to carry a firearm for protection... and another roadblock for those law abiding people from quickly gaining access to carry a firearm legally for protection.

Although car carry does a long way to help solve those issues.

Also, there is another $1 million or so in corporate welfare with companies taking finger prints for the permit...  fingerprints which have NEVER been used to solve a single crime.

Well, now I feel better about not paying to take any classes.  I just had a piece of paper from the Army that said I knew which end of the barrel the bullet comes out of.