Now the libs are going after Popeye.

dlmeadows

Gotcha.

Well, whether it's "libs" or not the "politically correct" loss of the pipe is big. It (and the tat) were integral to the character. Heck, the pipe was an oft used prop, would could use it as a blowtorch and send smoke signals and whatnot.

- OS

I guess if they want to keep up with the times, they could give him an e-cig which could be used for much the same purposes. Though, of course, that tats would have to be full sleeves and his ears (and possibly nose) should be full of metalwork.

Bear in mind that Popeye was not a navy sailor AFAIK.

And I only ever knew Bluto. I guess the "Brutus" years passed me by.

Edited by tnguy

I'm still waiting for proof that there was a liberal plot to change Popeye. More likely, this was just the normal changing of a cartoon to meet modern times.

Popeye is/was a sailor, right? Well, the public image of sailors isn't rowdy guys with cheap tattoo's anymore. I'm sure there are plenty of rowdy sailors with tattoo's, but the Navy has cleaned up is image over the years. Also, pipe smoking is no longer in fashion.

So, the cartoon changes to keep relevant with the times. No evil plan liberal attack on Popeye, just a company trying to sell their product in today's market. I'm sorry if some of you older folks feel slighted, I too remember the old Popeye comics, but they make cartoons for kids, not adults.

Lol. Now you've gone and ruined everything with the possibility of a reasonable explanation. Edited by LINKS2K
  • Like 1

After being a team leader for McDonald's for 2 weeks I want to run for president...

Even after only 2 weeks of being a Team Leader @ McDonald's...., you would still have far more executive decision-making experience than the current resident of 1600 Pennsylvania Avenue!   

• Like 2
Give that man a happy meal
I wonder if the Lib tards remember the old afterschool Popeye song that went like this:
I love to go swimmin with bare naked women I'm Popeye the sailor man!

Of course that's from the days when we built treehouses and forts and rode bicycles to secret locations and neighborhood fights.
Screwing w the icon of Popeye is just unamerican... Edited by Dustbuster
Meh, I thought it was Bluto too.

Don't matter if they change him. I think Popeye's ship has likely sailed. I doubt kids today will really get into the "newly designed" bland boring Popeye or the old one.
Only kids with nostalgic parents would have interest in old school Popeye and likely won't dig a new boring Popeye either. These children are more sophisticated already from being exposed to other vintage characters ie Tom and Jerry, Foghorn Leghorn, etc. Edited by JWC

This pc crap is getting very old. I was hoping Popeye would got the other way and get more badass with age

popeyeart10192012_zpslfnkvvta.jpeg

I'll bet even Chuck Norris would think twice about mixing it up with this Popeye.

Surprised no one has commented on his name, not only a proper noun but also a hurtful, insensitive adjective describing his ocular and facial challenges.
  • 4 weeks later...

I'm still waiting for proof that there was a liberal plot to change Popeye.  More likely, this was just the normal changing of a cartoon to meet modern times. 

Popeye is/was a sailor, right?  Well, the public image of sailors isn't rowdy guys with cheap tattoo's anymore.  I'm sure there are plenty of rowdy sailors with tattoo's, but the Navy has cleaned up is image over the years.  Also, pipe smoking is no longer in fashion. 

So, the cartoon changes to keep relevant with the times.  No evil plan liberal attack on Popeye, just a company trying to sell their product in today's market.  I'm sorry if some of you older folks feel slighted, I too remember the old Popeye comics, but they make cartoons for kids, not adults.

"but they make cartoons for kids, not adults."   Beg to differ with you on this statement but cartoons like the Simpsons, and Archer are directed at adults along with a couple others I have seen advertised that I would never let kids watch..........jmho