What's a good 1911 style 45?

jeff43

Go Rock Island.  I have owned 3 in .45, .38 Super and 9mm.  All workded 100% out of the box.  Also did a trigger job on an early one and when I took it to the range to test fire it I could not believe the accuracy and had 2 other 1911 "experts" shoot it and they were impressed.  Get the Rock as your first one, learn about how the gun is constructed and change everything in it over to aftermarket if that suits you.  Whether you keep it stock or use it for a "build" they are worth the money. THere are other 1911s I have had that cost quite a bit more that I have no use for.  But every day I go to my part time job selling guns I eyeball that Armscor made Legacy Citadel 1911 in 9mm for somedays as little as 349.00 I say to myself, "I should get another one." Then I think, "What practical use do I have for a 9 shot 40oz 9mm when I have a pair of finely tuned Glocks I rarely shoot or carry any longer.  Give me my 6.7oz Keltec .32 with Skorpian ammo and I feel pretty good - maybe delusional. 

"....  But every day I go to my part time job selling guns I eyeball that Armscor made Legacy Citadel 1911 in 9mm for somedays as little as 349.00 I say to myself, "I should get another one." Then I think, "What practical use do I have for a 9 shot 40oz 9mm when I have a pair of finely tuned Glocks I rarely shoot or carry any longer.  Give me my 6.7oz Keltec .32 with Skorpian ammo and I feel pretty good - maybe delusional. "

Friend...you have way more will power than I do. For that price....I would already have it home. lol

+1 on RIA. Why 45? If for plinking etc get a 9mm and save a bunch on ammo. I have a RIA 9mm Tactical and love it. Got the Tactical version for the better sights. Gun is fun to take apart and reassemble.

Got a couple of Glock 19's , so I'm good on 9mm's. My son has kind of been wanting me to get a 1911, so thought I might try to get one sometime.Just something different I guess .

Got a couple of Glock 19's , so I'm good on 9mm's. My son has kind of been wanting me to get a 1911, so thought I might try to get one sometime.Just something different I guess .

Even if you want a 45, the RIA is still a great first 1911.

I sorta have a thing for 1911s and own quite a few. My first choice would be an older, used Colt. But that's out of your price range. A very close second is Springfield Armory. Since you're looking for a target/plinking gun, the Range Officer is an outstanding choice. Many here are recommending RIA and with your budget, its definately worth a look. I've never owned one, but I've also heard nothing but glowing praise for them. 

Don't forget about MetroArms, another Phillipine import. I had a commander and I believe Dolomite still carries his full size.

True. I've had 2 at one time or another. But when D&T closed, regrettably; I picked up a hard chromed MAC 45. Bobtailed and night sights. Great little shooter, and after Sam Hoster did an impromptu trigger job on it; the pistol is awesome!