Car styles these days????

bersaguy

Manufacturers have their flagship models:  Trucks, sports cars/modern muscle cars, and a luxury brand.  All the other generic crapbox models are simply to make the entire manufacturer's fleet's combined MPG average out to EPA standards.

Edited by ReefBlueCoupe

Demand. Why do pick ups, for example, keep getting bigger? Just think of a new F150 vs a twenty year old F150. The competitions' newer models "look" more like a new F150 than a twenty year old F150 does.

Yep for sure!!!!!!!  I use to have a 1990 GMC 1500 1/2 ton pick up truck. I was parked in a Kroger lot and a guy in a 2012 Chevy 4x2 standard truck pulled in next to mine and parked. When I turned and looked back my truck sitting next to that so called basic 4x2  Chevy truck dwarfs and made mine look like an S-10 setting next to my truck in 1990. I have several friends that own new Fords and one or two Dodges and if they did not have running boards and grab handles to get in them I would not be able to ride in their trucks because I could not get in them and these are basic trucks with nothing special done to them. Now they make a truck that makes my old GMC look like an S-10 and then try and sell you on the fact that they get as good a fuel mileage as my 4.3 liter v-6 got. I hear Ford talking 23 to 25 miles per gallon with their ecoboost V-6.  Buddy of mine has one and he has yet to get 13 on the highway with his. My old  4.3 liter throttle body truck did get 27 on the highway dragging a bass boat and 32 without the boat and that is why I drove 314,000 miles and never pulled the heads or replaced the Timing Chain in the engine. Best truck I ever owned. I guarantee you they don't make um like that any more...............jmho

• Like 1

I have the same problem identifying the newer cars, I thought it was just cause I am not as into the newer cars and also getting older probably factors in. I consider myself a car guy but any more I can't tell one from another without seeing the name badges.

I saw a KIA the other day but would have swore it was a Lincoln until I saw it park and could see the emblem on it. They do all look the same to me anymore. In the 70's or 80's there would be no way of getting an import mixed up with a domestic car.

I have the same problem identifying the newer cars, I thought it was just cause I am not as into the newer cars and also getting older probably factors in. I consider myself a car guy but any more I can't tell one from another without seeing the name badges.

I saw a KIA the other day but would have swore it was a Lincoln until I saw it park and could see the emblem on it. They do all look the same to me anymore. In the 70's or 80's there would be no way of getting an import mixed up with a domestic car.

There are very few imports in America any more MAC, Just about every auto maker has a factory here now and most have factories and brought their home base offices here also. You don't hear any complaints about that fact because they are providing Americans with good jobs but still it is an attempt to take over an American market..................jmho

Edited by bersaguy

Yep for sure!!!!!!!  I use to have a 1990 GMC 1500 1/2 ton pick up truck. I was parked in a Kroger lot and a guy in a 2012 Chevy 4x2 standard truck pulled in next to mine and parked. When I turned and looked back my truck sitting next to that so called basic 4x2  Chevy truck dwarfs and made mine look like an S-10 setting next to my truck in 1990. I have several friends that own new Fords and one or two Dodges and if they did not have running boards and grab handles to get in them I would not be able to ride in their trucks because I could not get in them and these are basic trucks with nothing special done to them. Now they make a truck that makes my old GMC look like an S-10 and then try and sell you on the fact that they get as good a fuel mileage as my 4.3 liter v-6 got. I hear Ford talking 23 to 25 miles per gallon with their ecoboost V-6.  Buddy of mine has one and he has yet to get 13 on the highway with his. My old  4.3 liter throttle body truck did get 27 on the highway dragging a bass boat and 32 without the boat and that is why I drove 314,000 miles and never pulled the heads or replaced the Timing Chain in the engine. Best truck I ever owned. I guarantee you they don't make um like that any more...............jmho

I got around 18-20mpg on my chevy. It was a 1999 1500 with the venerable 4.3L.  I do miss that truck tho.

I got around 18-20mpg on my chevy. It was a 1999 1500 with the venerable 4.3L.  I do miss that truck tho.

Yea and 1999 had the multiport injection and 4.3 and were great trucks but still couldn't get the mileage that Throttle body Fuel injection could get...........jmho

Yea and 1999 had the multiport injection and 4.3 and were great trucks but still couldn't get the mileage that Throttle body Fuel injection could get...........jmho

I also had a 91 1500 short bed with the 4.3l mated to a 5 speed. Hated it. Short beds have no place for a single cab truck.

My old  4.3 liter throttle body truck did get 27 on the highway dragging a bass boat and 32 without the boat and that is why I drove 314,000 miles and never pulled the heads or replaced the Timing Chain in the engine. 

Yeah. Baloney.

I can imagine a GM 90* V6 going that far, easy with care. But not without a timing chain, and sure as heck not at 30+ MPG. I understand a little embellishment, but lets at least try to make it believable.

The GM 60* V6s didn't even get above 25MPG in real world driving. I don't even think the Iron Duke did unless you were on the interstate, doing 55MPH.

The cars that GM put out in the Nineties and Naughties ARE the reason that Toyota is now the world's largest auto maker. Toyota wasn't putting out unappealing heaps that the paint boiled off of three days after your warranty was up. GM and to a lesser extent Ford rested on their laurels during the late eighties and stopped innovating. Ford at least tried new engine designs, but GM continued on spitting out the same engines they had for 30 years. Granted, the SBC is a great engine, but there were four cylinder import engines that made more power, more reliably by the time it was phased out in `03, nearly 50 years after it was first designed.

To those that aren't 'into' cars, they will all look alike. They have four wheels and tires, a steering wheel, headlights, taillights... The icons will still be recognizable, Beetles, Mustangs, Corvettes. Anyone can look at a `70 Mustang and tell you it is a Mustang. They might not be able to tell you a year, but they could get close. They don't know that the `70 only had two headlights, where the `69 had four, and the rear fender vents on the `69 Fastback were specific to that model. But they can look at that `70 Mustang and guess is a `66. They don't know that the `66 Mustang had more in common with a Falcon than a `70 Mustang. But they DO know it is a Mustang.

But they probably couldn't pick a `66-67 Comet out of a line-up.

Edited by Murgatroy

There are very few imports in America any more MAC, Just about every auto maker has a factory here now and most have factories and brought their home base offices here also. You don't hear any complaints about that fact because they are providing Americans with good jobs but still it is an attempt to take over an American market..................jmho

And send the dollars overseas.

its a combination of issues. 

aerodynamics... there is only so much you can do if you want to have air flow and at 80 MPH drag cuts gas mileage down and significantly higher gas mileage cars don't sell (trucks and other stuff, yes, but cars, no) when gas is $4+ per gallon. 

also, there are what, 10 or less actual real brands out there?  No matter what is stamped on it, they share designs and parts and such to some extent.  

colors go in and out of style but we have like 8 colors across most "brands" -- red, white, blue, black make up like 85% of what is on the road. 

put them together and ... everything looks the same at a distance. 

lots of "edited" posts there guys lol :rofl:

Lots of forum posts get edited.  This particular website doesn't have the 10 minute grace period that most do, so you see "Edited" whether someone went and completely changed the substance of their post, or just went back to make a simple change such as correcting a spelling or grammar mistake.

Yeah. Baloney.

I can imagine a GM 90* V6 going that far, easy with care. But not without a timing chain, and sure as heck not at 30+ MPG. I understand a little embellishment, but lets at least try to make it believable.

The GM 60* V6s didn't even get above 25MPG in real world driving. I don't even think the Iron Duke did unless you were on the interstate, doing 55MPH.

The cars that GM put out in the Nineties and Naughties ARE the reason that Toyota is now the world's largest auto maker. Toyota wasn't putting out unappealing heaps that the paint boiled off of three days after your warranty was up. GM and to a lesser extent Ford rested on their laurels during the late eighties and stopped innovating. Ford at least tried new engine designs, but GM continued on spitting out the same engines they had for 30 years. Granted, the SBC is a great engine, but there were four cylinder import engines that made more power, more reliably by the time it was phased out in `03, nearly 50 years after it was first designed.

To those that aren't 'into' cars, they will all look alike. They have four wheels and tires, a steering wheel, headlights, taillights... The icons will still be recognizable, Beetles, Mustangs, Corvettes. Anyone can look at a `70 Mustang and tell you it is a Mustang. They might not be able to tell you a year, but they could get close. They don't know that the `70 only had two headlights, where the `69 had four, and the rear fender vents on the `69 Fastback were specific to that model. But they can look at that `70 Mustang and guess is a `66. They don't know that the `66 Mustang had more in common with a Falcon than a `70 Mustang. But they DO know it is a Mustang.

But they probably couldn't pick a `66-67 Comet out of a line-up.

Well, not going to argue with you about my 90 GMC 4.3 because I know what I did and what I got out of the truck. I bought it with 10 miles on it and I know what I spent on it and I know I did put 3 transmissions in it because the 700 R - 4 trannys were not really all the good for pulling boats. Oil and filter  was changed every 3,000 tune up every 50,000, 5 sets of valve cover gaskets (due to poor design with 2 bolt rather than 4 bolt design) 7 sets of brakes and 6 sets of tires. I know what my fuel mileage was because while fishing bass tournaments on tour I had to keep up with mileage and miles on truck for tax purposes. Truck had 30 gallon tank and I went from Greenbrier Tennessee to Tyler Texas which was 636 miles miles and I put 21.4 gallons of gas in the truck with the boat on the back so you do the numbers. As far as timing chain is concerned they have an oil pressure controlled tensioner which automatically takes up chain slack protecting from gear damage and they also had steel gears and not nylon. Guy I sold the truck to drove it another year locally before he restored it and had the motor replaced. Was going to rebuild it but his mechanic told him that everything inside the motor was worn totally out and to rebuild would be iffy so he replaced the motor with a factory GM target motor built in Memphis. ........................... :shrug: :shrug: 

My peeve is that no one makes a decent looking station wagon. My 2000 Subaru Legacy Outback has sports suspension and handles great.  It's more fun to drive and easier to maneuver than a big SUV, but I can carry my bikes without even removing the front wheel. I still like the looks.

I got the itch  to buy a new (used car but new to me) car a couple of years ago. I keep looking as I'm driving around, but I really don't see anything I like better. Most newer cars all look about the same to me. 

My peeve is that no one makes a decent looking station wagon. My 2000 Subaru Legacy Outback has sports suspension and handles great.  It's more fun to drive and easier to maneuver than a big SUV, but I can carry my bikes without even removing the front wheel. I still like the looks.

I got the itch  to buy a new (used car but new to me) car a couple of years ago. I keep looking as I'm driving around, but I really don't see anything I like better. Most newer cars all look about the same to me. 

They're out there.  You just have to pay for them.

bb-audi-rs6-v10-sport-wagon-1.jpg

• Like 1

Lots of forum posts get edited.  This particular website doesn't have the 10 minute grace period that most do, so you see "Edited" whether someone went and completely changed the substance of their post, or just went back to make a simple change such as correcting a spelling or grammar mistake.

Well aware of that man, but i seen the cat fight prior to the edits :popcorn:

The second I seen the Dodge Magnum I bought my wife a new 2005 RT, lots of power!!!