Need help!! Computer problem

Been scanned three times now, nothing reported on the last two.

What Anti-virus software are you using?

If Norton Security Suite (the stuff Comcast provides), then try running Norton Power Eraser (which a deeper system check over their routine scans). 

This has worked on several things that standard things that the other scans and SpyBot did not see.

If you are not using NSS, then....  I got nothing helpful.

My host file looks EXACTLY like the one listed except this following line at the bottom:

#      ::1                localhost

I removed the line and still no change.

#  ::1  localhost

is the local loopback for IPv6 addressing.  Not an issue but you don't need it either.  The pound sign indicates it is commented out....in other words not read or being used.  It's in the default hosts file for Windows Vista and greater.

Yeah, that line appears in Win 7, not in XP, I guess 'cause IPv6 is relatively new standard.

Truly a bizarre little glitch, I'm quite intrigued actually, really thought it might be in hosts file. Seems such a specific little nasty, if indeed it is an interloper. If not, just can't imagine how only one site's DNS lookup could be "bruised".

I'm sure others have looked around, but myself, didn't find any kind of Walmart specific exploit in search.

- OS

Edited by Oh Shoot

Almost sounds like you're running antivirus/malware scanners that are interfering with the browsers

Just for the sake of trying, launch IE in safe mode and see if it works: http://www.dell.com/support/Article/us/en/19/621166/en

You might also try booting into safe mode with networking to see if loads:  http://www.7tutorials.com/5-ways-boot-safe-mode-windows-8-windows-81 or if you're on win 7 and below http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/start-computer-safe-mode#start-computer-safe-mode=windows-7

if it loads, then it's a matter of tracking down what's blocking it. 

You might also try adding a new user profile and see if it's having the same issue.

*edit* Are you running any software like Adblock plus or Disconnect.me?

Edited by NoBanStan

See what happens when you register those NFA goodies?   ;)

I'm also intrigued by this and think it's somehow buried in the firewall or anti-virus/malware package. 

Yeah, something.

Gordon, I run AVG freebie, if you have paid advanced version you probably have even more options but,

- is the AVG Web Browsing module enabled? Tried disabling it?

- Is  the AVG firewall enabled? If so tried enabling that, especially if you have Windows firewall active also?

- got latest update? Check manually.

(I don't have either of those enabled, btw, found the Web module really slowed surfing down).

- OS

Edited by Oh Shoot

I completely disabled AVG and tried again with no luck. My next step will be to use the task manager to completely stop anything related to it and try again.

I did a system restore back to when I KNOW I was able to go to Walmart.com but that did not fix anything either. I know it is NOT a browser issue because it does it with different browsers.

I will be taking my laptop and comparing settings to each other. Both are running the same OS and this one, the laptop, works fine. Recommendations of where to start comparing?

Honestly this is one of the more frustrating problem I have ran into in a long, long time. Definitely not something I see very often.

If anyone knows of anything in the registry to check let me know, I am not afraid of the registry. I do edit it regularly but nothing related to the internet. Mostly just cleaning it of any traces of uninstalled programs.

I'm still leaning toward it being a DNS issue. Try this: open a command prompt and type:

nslookup www.walmart.com

Note the IP address it returns, then type:

nslookup www.walmart.com 8.8.8.8

Compare the IP address. The first command queries the DNS server currently configured for your PC. The second command tells nslookup to look at Google's public DNS server. If you get different IP's for each command, DNS is likely your issue. Go into your TCP/IP settings and hard code Google's DNS servers 8.8.8.8 and 8.8.4.4 as your DNS servers (make a note of what they were before changing in case you want to go back). Go back to the command prompt and run IPconfig /flushdns and give your browser another try.

I'm still leaning toward it being a DNS issue. Try this: open a command prompt and type:

nslookup www.walmart.com

Note the IP address it returns, then type:

nslookup www.walmart.com 8.8.8.8

Compare the IP address. The first command queries the DNS server currently configured for your PC. The second command tells nslookup to look at Google's public DNS server. If you get different IP's for each command, DNS is likely your issue. Go into your TCP/IP settings and hard code Google's DNS servers 8.8.8.8 and 8.8.4.4 as your DNS servers (make a note of what they were before changing in case you want to go back). Go back to the command prompt and run IPconfig /flushdns and give your browser another try.

NSLOOKUP_zpsf3347448.png

Yup. That's why I was asking for the ipconfig /all

Typing those DNS servers into Google reveals a whole host of people with a similar issue. Fortunately, it looks as if the web server itself is not currently doing anything malicious.

The good news is that it's not 127.0.0.1 which would indicate a rogue DNS service running locally. Edited by tnguy

BTW, this was the TCP/IP setting
tcpipsettings_zpsc7d1e049.jpg

So, was this a nasty that changed that? A search for 75.126.206.18 shows it mentioned a lot in association with malware, but I didn't read deeply.

I have always just used "obtain DNS automatically" on all my systems through the years, which means you're dependent on tables of whichever ISP you're connected to AFAIK.

Gordon, did you have your set to auto but something changed it?

- OS

Edited by Oh Shoot

Glad it all worked out for you. Since the bad DNS servers were hard coded in your TCP/IP settings, you could probably select the setting to "Obtain DNS Server Address Automatically" and let it pull the address from your router, which gets it from your ISP. Or just leave it set to the Google DNS servers. They are what I generally use.

Glad it all worked out for you. Since the bad DNS servers were hard coded in your TCP/IP settings, you could probably select the setting to "Obtain DNS Server Address Automatically" and let it pull the address from your router, which gets it from your ISP. Or just leave it set to the Google DNS servers. They are what I generally use.

The question really is what caused this setting. Without knowing, it could happen again.

Probably 10 times, did a system restore 3 times, scanned 3 times with Malwarebytes, disabled antivirus as well as scanning before disabled.

Again, I ask: did you just have the default of auto find DNS, and a baddie changed it to those specific IPs?

Other puter still set for auto?

- OS

Edited by Oh Shoot

No clue Mac, on either question. I do not mess with "her" computer unless there is a problem.

Well, if you never went in there and set those ip addresses manually, I think it's pretty safe to say you got nipped by something that did. 

Edited by Oh Shoot

Well, if you never went in there and set those ip addresses manually, I think it's pretty safe to say you got nipped by something that did. 

I agree as well before you use that computer for anything financially related or personal I would recommend backing up your data and doing a deep clean of the hard drive and a system re-install because if nothing else found it then it is truly a nasty bug.

If it is bad enough to change the DNS then it could be monitoring your keystrokes or doing anything else malicious. I would recommend at this point with you not knowing of how the DNS settings got changed to not trust just a cleaner or anti virus. They design viruses to be resistant to that. I would not recommend anything other than a operating system reinstall. This is from experience. It took me over 2 months and multiple cleaners, anti viruses and other things to finally get fed up and just reinstall my wife's computer. That did the trick. Just my opinion from being in the field for over 13 years.